• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 32: ACCT Time -- #13 BC v. #5 WF: Wednesday - 2:30 pm - ESPN

Was anyone there? Sounded like there was a pretty good Wake crowd.

That 2017 team would've mopped the floor against this team. The ACC was the top conference that year. This year the ACC is 7th. John Collins getting 0 votes for ACC player of the year while Alondes winning is a perfect representation in the discrepancy in talent between those two seasons.

Let’s not go nuts that team gave up like 75 points in a half in their ACCT opener. Also was incapable of putting away games a lost like every close one, so we snuck into the first 4 rather than what our Kenpom etc metrics said we could be. Then we promptly gave up like 150 points in that game.

If you look back over the ENTIRE season we only won 2 games when we DIDN'T score 74 or more points in regulation, NW in OT, and UVA. We had only 1 loss where we scored more than 74 points in regulation, at Miami. 8 of our 9 losses this season we scored less than 75 points in regulation. Defense travels, but offense doesn't always.

The fanbase is numb to continued post season failures. Can we even imagine having a game like the cuse did today?

Agreed. Wake and March go together about like oil and water.

It’s crazy to me that an ACC team that went 23-8 (13-7) in the regular season would even have to waste one moment’s thought on getting in the tournament. Used to an ACC that won 18-19 games and went .500 in the league got in more often than not.

23-9 (13-7). Trying to keep the faith.

Thanks for a loooong week Deacs. :(

i'm getting drunk. cleared my schedule today and tomorrow (confident they'd win today). not going to waste it.

The number of fouls called in this game was ridiculous

Post game Jake said, when we were up by 10 we let down.

Forbes said they had two plays for the final in reg. One was a pick n roll with Jake and the other was the Alondes isolation.

Biggest issue there is Alondes had been cramping so despite being POY clearly he wasn't 100%.

Mucius went out at 15 min and then didn't come back in until .05. We let BC comeback from 10 down with our best defender on the bench.

I'm thinking that not having any practice between Wed and Mon might have been another mistake. After 'ville and State we were playing well and Williamson and Walton were rolling who both seem to go hot and cold.

It's easy to overthink this outcome.

Mucius and Daivien are seniors. They combined for 40 in our last game. Today they made 2 shots and missed 12. Daivien missed half his free throws in a game that went to OT. They combined to make one 3 pointer, shooting 10% from deep.

That we even had a shot to win that game is surprising when you add in the overall free throw shooting.

If we do somehow make the tournament, it's becoming a real question as to whether we should be starting Monsanto for one of them.

Supposedly we have our big team which is our lock down defense which helped us come back from down 19 at dook. Where was that? Close out the damn game. I know we had some foul trouble, but at some point you need to close it out, especially since we struggled to get the 10 point lead.

There was so much that went wrong, on and off the court and you can point to anything that cost you points in a game that goes to OT. At lease once in the last 6 min we left a guy all alone for a 3, if Mucius is in there does that happen?

I was stunned when the announcers mentioned BC's suprisingly good ACC tourney record until I realized how many bad teams they would have played in their bad years, which really puts our recent ACC tournament struggles in perspective.

Since we last made it to Thursday in the tournament (2007), we have gone 2-15 in the ACC tournament. The average Kenpom rating of the teams we played was 85, and the average seed was 10.2 (the average seed including only the 15-team area was 11.4). Clemson is the 10th seed this year and has a Kenpom of 82. Imagine going 2-15 against this year's Clemson team on a neutral court.

Refs were shitty today because college basketball reffing is always shitty, but we deserved to lose.

Post game Jake said, when we were up by 10 we let down.

Forbes said they had two plays for the final in reg. One was a pick n roll with Jake and the other was the Alondes isolation.

Biggest issue there is Alondes had been cramping so despite being POY clearly he wasn't 100%.

Mucius went out at 15 min and then didn't come back in until .05. We let BC comeback from 10 down with our best defender on the bench.

I'm thinking that not having any practice between Wed and Mon might have been another mistake. After 'ville and State we were playing well and Williamson and Walton were rolling who both seem to go hot and cold.

They practiced Friday, Sunday and then the shit practice Monday where he said guys looked like they woke up at 9:30 for a 10 am practice.

It's easy to overthink this outcome.

Mucius and Daivien are seniors. They combined for 40 in our last game. Today they made 2 shots and missed 12. Daivien missed half his free throws in a game that went to OT. They combined to make one 3 pointer, shooting 10% from deep.

That we even had a shot to win that game is surprising when you add in the overall free throw shooting.

If we do somehow make the tournament, it's becoming a real question as to whether we should be starting Monsanto for one of them.

This thread is a testament to overthinking the outcome.

Despite lousy play at both ends of the court, the Deacons had a 10 point lead with 6:05 to play. They choked at the finish. Ballgame over. The players and the staff have themselves to blame. Plenty of mistakes to go around.

The Deacons finish the regular season with a record of 23-9 overall and 13-7 in the ACC. That's better than most expected. Good enough to receive an invitation to the Dance most every year.

We will know more Sunday night.

IF we get in (we won’t), it’ll be a fucking joke (it is). If we win today, the needle wouldn’t have moved and shouldn’t have beating a hapless joke of a BC team. We lost. Needle broke. Let someone else play. We do not deserve a chance in the dance. Which is wild given the potential we have had (against pitiful goddamned teams like Louisville and state). Reality sucks. Cute season. First “fun” one in a while - and that got us POY and COY. Cute. Time to sit the fuck down, go dick around in the NIT and let a real team in.
Anyone who says “that’s LOWF mentality”, shut the fuck up. For all of us. Quit dreaming. This is what we are. This is what we will always be. A cute little school who gets an axe in the heart from any team with a thread of a pulse when the chips are down. It ain’t changing any time soon. I’ll die without a deep NCAAT run. So will you. Make peace with it and move on

I had federal gov compliance visits for a client yesterday which is basically the only work thing that would keep me from watching this. I instructed my family not to tell me anything so i could come home and watch after a long day. My husband took pity on me and broke his promise so I wouldn’t sit through this. We are cursed. Whoever said State is our natural rivalry is right. We’re the two most disappointing teams in major college sports. We have Duncan and CP and nothing of note to show for it. We underperform every March. State has Rivers and Wilson- also nothing to show for it beyond the Raleigh parade. It’s hard to imagine what it’s like to be a fan of a team that even meets expectations in March. We seem to flame out- coupled with a dramatic excuse- every time. Freak injuries, nut punches, steak dinners. This never seems to happen to our buddies in blue.

Last year Duke missed the tournament and NC got pasted by 20+ in the first round by Wisconsin.

Last year Duke missed the tournament and NC got pasted by 20+ in the first round by Wisconsin.

Are you seriously comparing what we’ve been through as a fanbase to either of those teams?

Back