• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

Any reason why we couldn't go an extra 5 yards to finish the football fields. Looks kinda of silly not to finish the field.

They originally had the fields vertically situated (compared to horizontally in the photo). Something happened and they went back to the horizontal arrangement. I remember hearing something about it when it was done, but can't remember the reason.

Will the Miller Center internally connect to the Sports Performance Center? And will that connect to the IPF?

Definitely yes for a connection between the Miller Center and the SPC. Not sure about a connection between the SPC and the IPF. Maybe there will be a secret tunnel. :D

From what I understand, the ground floor of the SPC will feature the weight room for the football team. That space will have garage doors that open into the IPF.

Maybe true, but it doesn't look like they designed the IPF with garage door openings in mind.

Perf%20Center%2015-L.jpg

This is true. But this picture suggests I'm correct:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ltk0rb1t...vzif1da?dl=0&preview=Football+weight+room.jpg

The fields seen through the glass look to me to be the outdoor fields, not the IPF. Where are you seeing this garage door opening?

Fair enough. I was going off of what I was told during a tour. I was also told the Football coaches offices would look out over the IPF so I'm assuming that side of the IPF hasn't taken it's final form.

If the Sutton Sports Performance Center is expected to cost $50 million, I find it hard to believe that a new Coliseum of about 10,000 seats would cost less than twice that.

If the Sutton Sports Performance Center is expected to cost $50 million, I find it hard to believe that a new Coliseum of about 10,000 seats would cost less than twice that.

Nice of the AD to throw soccer a $1.1 million bone.

Nice of the AD to throw soccer a $1.1 million bone.

"Wake Forest University broke ground Thursday on renovations of its two soccer practice fields as part of a $3 million package of updates for the men’s and women’s soccer facilities."

Actually it sounds like both soccer programs are getting a combined $3 million for all the upgrades and renovations. A little better than 1.1.

"Wake Forest University broke ground Thursday on renovations of its two soccer practice fields as part of a $3 million package of updates for the men’s and women’s soccer facilities."

Actually it sounds like both soccer programs are getting a combined $3 million for all the upgrades and renovations. A little better than 1.1.

True. But $3 million is nothing when compared with the $60 million for the basketball facility. Especially when basketball (and football) already have a nicer setup than all of the other sports combined. I mean, I get it, and I agree with it. But the amount of money dedicated to college sports in this country is staggering.

True. But $3 million is nothing when compared with the $60 million for the basketball facility. When basketball (and football) already have a nicer setup than all of the other sports combined. I mean, I get it, and I agree with it. But the amount of money dedicated to college sports in this country is staggering.

Football and basketball definitely rule the roost when it comes to facilities and nearly everything else in collegiate sports. They, for better or for worse, are the horses that bring in the big money, both from TV rights and from the big money donors.

Guessing a decent amount of that came from direct donations to the soccer program for this specific purpose rather than the AD being overly generous. They've been trying to resolve the turf issue for a while now.

Guessing a decent amount of that came from direct donations to the soccer program for this specific purpose rather than the AD being overly generous. They've been trying to resolve the turf issue for a while now.

It's really both. The AD is committing resources to soliciting those donations.

Also, the other sports will get better facilities when FB and BB move. They will of course still be hand me downs though.

If they said that to you on a tour, then that's something. Perhaps they'll knock a hole through the now-bricked IPF wall.

I can vouch that I was on the same tour and heard the same thing. They mentioned knocking out the bricks.

I can vouch that I was on the same tour and heard the same thing. They mentioned knocking out the bricks.

That wasn't very smart planning. If they were planning on knocking out part of the wall, they should have made it out of something easy to remove, like a few sheets of plywood,

That wasn't very smart planning. If they were planning on knocking out part of the wall, they should have made it out of something easy to remove, like a few sheets of plywood,

Theoretically they can remove the bricks and use them for another building project. There are plenty of them right now. I think I saw a stat the other day that nearly 200k new bricks were added to Reynolds gym in this current project.

Maybe true, but it doesn't look like they designed the IPF with garage door openings in mind.

It's not a load bearing wall. Punching some holes through it won't be a problem.

Yeah. The boarded-up house look really makes a statement...

Back