• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

Endowments of the schools you mentioned:

Pittsburgh: $3.589 BN
Illinois: $3.3 BN
Purdue: $2.398 BN
Wake Forest: $1.167 BN
Utah: $1.023 BN
Rutgers: $1.009 BN
WSU: $868 MM
ISU: $786 MM

Endowments aren't the same as athletic dept budgets or campus facilities, but as a proxy, they're decent enough for measuring our capital investment opportunity. Truth is, we're middle to bottom of the pack compared to most P5 schools in terms of our ability to pay for the athletic program's growth. These 8 figure donations are incredible. I question how sustainable they are, and reiterate that they're bringing us to the present not really setting us up for being a leader by any means.

Endowments and athletic facility spending are apples and oranges. Harvard ($37 billion), Yale ($25 billion) and even MIT ($13 billion) have endowments that literally laugh at Clemson's ($ 648 million), but Clemson athletic facility spending is likely more than those three schools combined. There is just no link between endowment and athletic facility spending.

Right, I would like one of these "endowment precludes Wake success" believers to explain in plain English exactly how and why a school's endowment is so determinative of athletic success.

Right, I would like one of these "endowment precludes Wake success" believers to explain in plain English exactly how and why a school's endowment is so determinative of athletic success.

It demonstrates a school's fund raising ability. Harvard, Yale, etc... choose to spend less on athletics. They could easily raise the money if they wanted.

It demonstrates a school's fund raising ability. Harvard, Yale, etc... choose to spend less on athletics. They could easily raise the money if they wanted.

To the extent any such link exists, Clemson massive commitment to athletic facilities with a relatively small endowment ($600+ million) demonstrates that the link is limited at best; similarly, Louisville which has massively upgraded its facilities also has a relatively small endowment ($800 million). There are a number of schools (Ole Miss, Tennessee, Auburn, Mississippi State -- all of these schools have endowments significantly smaller than WF) with superior athletic facilities that don't rank among the elite schools in endowment

One has to wonder what kind of perks Deacon club members and season ticket holders should expect in exchange for yet another Wellman sell out. This should just infuriate all members and one can only hope adds fuel for his removal before he screws anything else up. Just goes to show how the bzdick move has impacted the finances of the athletic dept.

It's probably been addressed somewhere in this thread already but what are current students doing for rec space with Reynolds under construction? Is only part of it out of commission? Do students have access to the Miller Center?

It's probably been addressed somewhere in this thread already but what are current students doing for rec space with Reynolds under construction? Is only part of it out of commission? Do students have access to the Miller Center?

There's a shiny new building next to it for basketball and such. The Miller center is where the fitness center is currently. Much of the fitness facilities will move to Reynolds upon completion of that project.

Full speed ahead on construction of the Sports Performance Center.

Performance%20Center%203-24-17-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Wake-Forest-Football/Indoor-Practice-Facility-and/i-

xm4FQSM/0/O/WFU_West_exterior.featured.jpg

Any reason why we couldn't go an extra 5 yards to finish the football fields. Looks kinda of silly not to finish the field.

Below are photos of the Sutton Center, which is connected to Reynolds Gym (now completely closed during major renovation). Also, all of the fitness facilities for students, faculty and staff will eventually move from the Miller Center to the renovated Reynolds Gym. The location of the fitness facilities in Miller will become the new home of sports medicine (with access to the new hydrotherapy center seen in my photos below).

Since construction of the Performance Center is underway, I wouldn't be surprised to see a groundbreaking ceremony on the weekend of the spring game, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Sutton%20gym%2003.jpg

Sutton%20gym%2001.jpg

There is a groundbreaking on Thursday April 20. I got an invitation several weeks ago.

As for students, I think they have access to everything they normally would have access to except the pool. Volleyball and student health are the ones that are mainly affected. Volleyball won't be able to play in the gym for the second season in a row.

Last edited:
Back