• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MD's Parting Words: WFU

freakadeac

Reaction score
FlaTerp and crew are taking their final shots at the ACC programs with their 'ACC Player Haterz Ball' column.

Initial thoughts:
-I guess they eliminated the '06 and '07 football games from memory; I can't believe neither received a mention in the 'Game to Forget' portion.
-FlaTerp knocking our facilities? That's the only thing we have going for us!
-'03 snow game is the correct pick for 'game to remember' (MD perspective).
-The Duncan 'Benjamin Button' reference was good.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/6/28/5852442/acc-player-haterz-ball-wake-forest

Honestly, you have got to be the last one who still keeps up with the Suque. We blew right by them years ago.

Maryland. Maryland? Can't quite place the name. I'm looking under "r" for "relevant" but not finding anything from the last few years.

And that article is sad with only a few high spots of quasi-humor. Gets about a 9 on the bitter scale. About a 2 on wit and humor. I mean, did one of those assclowns actually mention Keith Booth and Laron Proffit? That has to be the first time in over a decade those names have been mentioned on the internet.

Last edited:
I have not yet met anyone who did not welcome the Maryland-Louisville swap. Ironic that they call Wake irrelevant when they are entering their own era of irrelevance in the Big 10. I guess they'll always have their "look at me!" uniforms though
joker+playing+card.jpg

Va Tech will keep the ACC relevant in DC - I guess the Va legislature knew what they were doing after all.

Thread reminded me that I saw a girl wearing a Maryland flag bikini at the beach last week. She was busted, so I knew she was authentically a Marylander straight away.

Are they really insinuating that Joe Smith could've been just as good as Duncan if he just stayed in college for two more years? Man imagine how much better MJ could've been if he stayed in for one more year or if Lebron actually went to college!! This is an example of the razor sharp intellect that I'm sure we're all gonna miss from the Maryland faithful.

FlaTerp: I went to Winston-Salem once. The downtown looks like the set of a post-apocalyptic zombie movie, a bunch of quiet streets and empty buildings. Then you take a right, head up toward campus and see the athletic facilities, which look like a really nice Div. 3 complex.

I assume that was last millennium.

Thanks to the Premier for giving this writer so much fodder.

Fuck Maryland, their shitty ass fans, and the obnoxious wake fans who kissed their asses on the Suque for so many years.

Maryland >>> Duke. So there was that at least. There was a run there when few things irritated Dukies more than Maryland fans. That was fun.

Maryland >>> Duke. So there was that at least. There was a run there when few things irritated Dukies more than Maryland fans. That was fun.

Exactly. I was always somewhat sympathetic towards Maryland because of their hate for Duke. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Exactly. I was always somewhat sympathetic towards Maryland because of their hate for Duke. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I felt the same way for a while. But eventually the Marylanders got so obnoxious about it, and would never STFU about how great of fans they thought they were, I started hating them nearly as much.

Maryland should have been much better in everything, including academics.

Garry Williams had a nice run in the early 2000s, and the Fridge won an ACC title in 2001, but Maryland could have and should have achieved far more (1 ACC football title in the last 29 years; 2 ACC basketball titles in 60 years). Maryland has the largest enrollment of any of the ACC schools, and it is in the DC metropolitan area which is teeming with athletic talent. Yet, even when they had their moderate periods of success, Maryland has never been able to keep the best local players at home, nor does MD over-achieve in anything (with the exception of baseball this year). Further, MD sports is at best an afterthought in the DC/Baltimore media market. While not quite the same level of disdain that NY and Boston shows for college sports, MD athletics is simply not a relevant factor in the DC sports market.

It sucks that the ACC won't have school in the DC area which meant that WF football and basketball played reasonably often in the area, but other than that, by any objective measure, the ACC is significantly raising its athletic proposal by exchanging L'ville for MD.

FWIW, I can see MD competing as well if not better over time in the Big 10 than the ACC, because that the competitive level of the Big 10 conference is simply not as strong as it was. Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State are not, and will likely never be, the football programs that they once were, and as a whole, only Wisconsin (and possibly Northwestern) seems to be a demonstrably better athletic program than it was 20 years ago. As detailed in a recent SI article, there is a population (and talent) drain from the Mid-west that continues to grow. Over the next 20 years, population will continue to grow in the Atlantic Coast and Southeast regions, and decline in the Mid-west. So, MD may realize some moderate Big 10 success (like more than 2 basketball titles over the next 60 years), but would not be surprised if decades down the road, MD will regret the move.

Good luck, Terps, and thanks for some of the best sporting moments as a WF fan (the best being WF's dominating win in 2006 to clinch the Atlantic Division championship)!

Last edited:
Back