• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Memories of MSD

Skydog Deac

Reaction score
It took me almost five years to get to 2000 posts, so I wanted the post to be about the reason these boards exist. As with this post, the vast majority of my 2000 posts have not been worth reading or me writing them, at least I acknowledge that.

Three memorable late '70's Wake Forest memories. Tunneling to class and popping out of a manhole, much to the surprise of nearby students. Spending a Saturday night at the Travel Host hotel for $16 with a co-ed, my first ever hotel rendezvous. Drinking on the Poteat balcony above the post office and yelling at Billy Packer.

Three less than memorable Wake Forest memories. Throwing up on some Duke fans in Wallace Wade Stadium. Writing a letter to the Dean of Students defending some guys in Poteat who were collecting a big pail of tobacco spit that they planned on throwing into another suite in the dorm. Saving a friend from a nitrous oxide coma.

Feel free to supply your own good and bad Wake Forest memories, or just let this post slowly slide away, which is what my gpa did at MSD.

Go Deacs!

The Bball team beating UNC in the 1-8 game in the ACC tournament, when only the ACC tournament winner went to the NCAA's. Probably kept Dean from another NCAA title, as UNC was loaded.

'94 Got wasted tailgating at a football game, went in to the game and was sitting at the very top row, looked over the edge and got a little dizzy. Sat down next to some boy scouts and bummed a cigarette off them. Halfway through I noticed I was in such a cold sweat I could watch the sweat beading up and dripping off.

'95 Ice storm shut everything down on a Friday afternoon, we hung out in the lounge drinking all night around a candle. Around 10-11pm realized we were fucking starving. No place would come out to deliver. Eventually found a Chinese joint and it took the guy 2 hours to show up. We tipped him like 50 bucks.

'95 Went to a KA party, we were drinking outside on the patio when suddenly the front door opens and the entire pledge class comes streaking out. First guy in line trips on the chain around the grass creating a chain reaction and 20 dudes end up in a naked pile.

'95 Went to a KA party, we were drinking outside on the patio when suddenly the front door opens and the entire pledge class comes streaking out. First guy in line trips on the chain around the grass creating a chain reaction and 20 dudes end up in a naked pile.

And they are all glad today that smartphones did not exist then.

Having a good men's basketball team.

Back in the days of having a team to which you were emotionally attached.

I remember crying at the end of the Great 8 game against Ok St when Chill had to sit on the court during free throws.

Back in the days of having a team to which you were emotionally attached.

I remember crying at the end of the Great 8 game against Ok St when Chill had to sit on the court during free throws.

That was probably my most devastating loss of any team in any sport.

every generation seems to have it's WF waterloo

That one was different. Childress, who fought with more heart than any Wake player, ever, couldn't even finish the game, due to illness.

Freshman year, had a bio lab during the finals of the 1995 ACC Tournament. We had the radio on to listen to the game. Not much work was done. Lab ended and the game was almost over, we all stayed because we were afraid we'd miss the end if we tried to get to a TV. When the buzzer sounded, I just remember hauling ass up to the quad with a big bookbag full of heavy biology books on my back. So awesome.

On the other end of the WF sports spectrum, I think it was fall of 1995, the marching band rode buses all the way to Talla-freakin'-hassee and stood in a Florida downpour, in our soaking wet ugly wool unis, watching #1 FSU lay about 70 points on us.

Most of my non-sports memories are not suitable for disclosure on a public message board.

^I'll provide a converse anecdote.

I rode a bus all the way to that shithole, Tallahassee, to watch Wake decimate FSU 30-0.

That season, I also rode a bus to Raleigh, Chapel Hill, College Park, and Jacksonville (all wins, can you imagine?). And then I boarded a plane to Miami to attend the Orange Bowl. That was a magical fucking season.

e9c69-kevinpittsnogle.jpg

^I'll provide a converse anecdote.

I rode a bus all the way to that shithole, Tallahassee, to watch Wake decimate FSU 30-0.

That season, I also rode a bus to Raleigh, Chapel Hill, College Park, and Jacksonville (all wins, can you imagine?). And then I boarded a plane to Miami to attend the Orange Bowl. That was a magical fucking season.

Awesome - made it to the State, Maryland, ACCCG, and OB that year. All great games to be at.

Cleveland State was also my Wake waterloo because Wake got awful after my first couple years.

I like ITC, but anyone who posts that photo deserves at least a one day ban to think about how they've mistreated their fellow alums.

Memorial was a dump but the place was rockin' back in the Skip/Rod/Schelly days. Driving to Greensboro for games was a pain, though.

The 1977 run to the Elite Eight would be one memory that stands out for me.

Last edited:
Back