• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf

Oh so he's your son? Awesome!

Congrats to him and the Sun Devils. Great program and not surprising they would rise to the occasion.

Wish our top 2 could have made more birdies and taken ASU to "overtime." Good luck at Nationals!

Hell of a round today, but the past two days just killed us.

-8 as I type this is in a 3-way tie for 4 through 6 on the day. Solid but not good enough to move up when we had to move up.

Whoops what? If Blake W. shoots the +5 he shot the first two days, the Deacs would be going to a playoff for the 5th spot.

Or are you referring to something else?

Read his other quote. Pretty sure that is guitardeac's son. If so, huge congrats to dad and son.

Sadly, looks like we would have been much better off in one of the Louisiana regionals. At least the Deacs went down to 3 storied programs, but ISU and Ole Miss was unexpected.

We are a blue blood golf program with the golf equivalent of McD AA's coming in every year. Our golf program is the most under performing team we have at Wake. We always give UNC and Duke shit in BB for their McD AA's but at least they perform.

Our facility plus having an on campus golf course which is a top 100 layout and getting these results is just unacceptable. I love the Haas family but we seem to expect less in golf than any other sport we have.

Time for a change

My completely uninformed guess is that if the Tour alumni are happy and/or content with Haas as the head coach, then he will continue as the head coach. If some of them become disgruntled, then perhaps we will see a change. Those guys seem like a very important piece of the Wake program, and I can't see a change without their blessing.

Again, McBride was peaking and had two top 5 finishes this month including the ACC championship. He turns around and is just awful this week.

That and the 7th yesterday just killed us.

Recruiting is probably the biggest factor for a college golf coach.

If I am not mistaken, didn't we just barely sneak into the 5th position on the last day last year? It seems that we normally kick ass in the fall, play decent in the spring, and then shit the bed for the ACC and NCAAs. Basically, the more important the golf, the worse we do.

Seems like the story in a good number of Wake sports, sadly.

WF is not firing Jerry Haas.

WF was ranked as a top 10 team all year, and as stated above, Haas pulls in top rated recruits each year. Also, the aforementioned WF/PGA connections would make terminating him difficult or even create a backlash. Golf is such an individual sport really hard to know how much, if any, blame to place on a college golf coach when a highly rated player underperforms in the two college golf tourneys that really count: ACC and NCAA tourney.

Paul McBride was one of 21 golfers in the Austin Regional that had a top 100 NCAA individual ranking. McBride finished DFL of those ranked players and finished behind about 30 unranked players. Is that the Coach's fault? That happens every week on the PGA tour with the world's elite golfers.

Blake played bad the first 2 days. Just a true frosh, but he's been playing much better than those first 2 days. Today was certainly more along the lines of how he expects to play. Keep an eye on my boy the next few years!

Pretty cool. Congratulations!

WF was ranked as a top 10 team all year, and as stated above, Haas pulls in top rated recruits each year. Also, the aforementioned WF/PGA connections would make terminating him difficult or even create a backlash. Golf is such an individual sport really hard to know how much, if any, blame to place on a college golf coach when a highly rated player underperforms in the two college golf tourneys that really count: ACC and NCAA tourney.

Paul McBride was one of 21 golfers in the Austin Regional that had a top 100 NCAA individual ranking. McBride finished DFL of those ranked players and finished behind about 30 unranked players. Is that the Coach's fault? That happens every week on the PGA tour with the world's elite golfers.

When we've had zero top 20 finishes since 2006 and zero ACC titles in his entire tenure, then yes, at some point it is the coach's fault.

College coaches are basically recruiters, program managers, and psychologists/motivators. It's obvious that our current recipe just doesn't work in crunch time. While he gets lots of good publicity, I personally know a few former recruits (offered and went elsewhere) and one former Palmer scholar that couldn't stand Jerry.

So Duke, Virginia, Clemson, FSU, and UNC all advance to the nationals. As well as the 44th ranked team (New Mexico), 38th (Purdue), 47th (UCF), 39th (Kennesaw St), 35th (Lipscomb), 50th (Iowa St), 42nd (Jacksonville), 36th (Alabama), 49th (Penn St). The only top 20 teams to not advance are Florida (5th - ouch), Wake (10), Texas Tech (11), and Texas A&M (13).

The only backlash, if there was any at all, would come from Alumni who share the same name.

Golf is an individual sport. That is true. But, at what point is a head coach held accountable for his lack of success?

If our lack of success is due to poor recruiting then the coach should obviously be fired. But, if we have talent, then why do other teams with similar talent consistently out perform us when it matters? And, we're not exactly talking about a small sample size. It's been twenty years.

Who are the dynasties in college golf? Are there certain coaches that always have postseason success at a team level? I honestly have no idea.

Anybody know how the setup was changed so that the average score went from 75 to 71? That is pretty extreme, not sure why you would do that in the 3rd round.

Anybody know how the setup was changed so that the average score went from 75 to 71? That is pretty extreme, not sure why you would do that in the 3rd round.

Well, you can make the wind stop blowing. Or you can make it rain overnight for softer greens.

Well, you can make the wind stop blowing. Or you can make it rain overnight for softer greens.

or you could select easier pin placements

I have no idea whether that happened but that was my first thought when I saw the scores coming in

Who are the dynasties in college golf? Are there certain coaches that always have postseason success at a team level? I honestly have no idea.

Just off the top of my head, Oklahoma State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Arizona State, Texas, USC, LSU.

Back