• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mid-Season Report Card...

Bubbadeac

Reaction score
Just my take please give yours...

Quarterback...A-
Tanner has really come into his own...Love the maturity...Still takes some sacks he shouldn't...Would not be 4-2 without him (5-1 with him)

Running backs...C
Harris is doing a good job but nothing special so far...Staying healthy is a concern...Pendergrass is doing a solid job when called on...Part of this grade hinged on the OL...

Wide Receivers / Tight Ends...A
Givens, Camp, Dembry, Davis, etc exceeded my expectations...One of the best groups of all time at Wake...Givens is a star...Camp will be when he stays healthy...Demby going out playing well...Davis playing into form...Would like to see more passes to the TEs...

Offensive Line...C
Good pass blocking, the run, not so much...Godfrey has been a pleasant surprise...Looney an All-American...Did I mention would like to see continued improvement in run blocking???

Overall...B+
What an improvement from last year when we were struggling to score 14 points a game...

Defensive Line...B-
Undersized but plucky...Nikita gets what he can...DEs will mature...Unit needs to generate more pass rush...

LineBackers...A-
Kyle having great senior year...Joey getting better...Depth is gets stong with Jackson, Olsen, Ziggy...Maybe the strongest unit on the team next year...Pass coverage could improve...

Defensive backs...C
Bud keeps it from being a C-...Kenny keeps it from being a B...Lowe and Mack looking better...KJ and Bud next year will make the D-line better...Bush having a solid senior year...

Speacial teams...C
Please keep improving all areas...Please...

Coaching...A
Honestly, how many people had us 4-2 now...Offensive play calling better...Defense is more aggresive...Galloway was a huge addition...

Sorry this is so long...

That's a pretty good assessment. I'd like see Tanner improve his mobility in the pocket and awareness of the rush - for some reason it seems like he doesn't know it's coming. The OL has been inconsistent at best.

While we probably don't want to, we need to use the roll out for Tanner more...especially against teams that blitz often. His height is a disadvantage in the pocket. Too many deflections. He is mobile enough to roll out and sets his feet well enough to make most of the throws out of the pocket.

While we probably don't want to, we need to use the roll out for Tanner more...especially against teams that blitz often. His height is a disadvantage in the pocket. Too many deflections. He is mobile enough to roll out and sets his feet well enough to make most of the throws out of the pocket.

I agree with this--one thing that Syracuse did against us that was very effective in the second half of our game with them was to roll the quarterback out (either left or right) on pretty much every passing play. Since we were getting all of our pressure up the middle, they were running away from it. Would have liked to have seen more of this on Saturday ourselves.

If you would've said we'd be 4-2 at the halfway point of this season, I would've pooped myself with excitement.

The receivers and tight ends still aren't blocking particularly well. I might ding them a little there. And our secondary sans Noel would be about a D.

We were discussing that around my seats most of the game.

Coaching B. We still have no idea inside the red zone. Too many negative yard plays on first down plays late in games, particularly those we lost. We adjust poorly in games, i.e. had no answer when Beamer adjusted his D after our first drive and the bomb. Grading on the curve \compared to last year A+. Be very easy to raise this, but danger lurks. Great coaching wins the Cuse game.

Coaching B. We still have no idea inside the red zone. Too many negative yard plays on first down plays late in games, particularly those we lost. We adjust poorly in games, i.e. had no answer when Beamer adjusted his D after our first drive and the bomb. Grading on the curve \compared to last year A+. Be very easy to raise this, but danger lurks. Great coaching wins the Cuse game.

We are so thin at QB that losing Price killed us. Yes, we gave up like a 15 point 4th quarter lead, but if we could have just made a couple of 1st downs we could have kept their O off of the field.

Quarterback...A

Running backs...B

Wide Receivers / Tight Ends...A

Offensive Line...C-

Overall...B

Defensive Line...B-

LineBackers...B

Defensive backs...C

Speacial teams...C-

Coaching...B+

I think this is how I would grade it... I don't really see many differences. I must say that we have made amazing strides to get to where we are today, and props should go out to the coaches and players to making it happen. Although we should be 5-1, I'm pleased with the progress I have seen.

Last edited:
Tanner Price is the only guy on the team that we just absolutely cannot afford to lose (one could argue Nikita as well).

That is a valid point, but I think it's also fair to point out that in the past 2 games we've run 3 excellent plays in the red zone for touchdowns. The play action pass to Bohanon against FSU was a thing of beauty as was the 3rd down pass to Davis from the 8 yard line against FSU. Against Tech, the 4th pass to the TE Ford was very nice. In those 3 situations I was afraid we'd have to settle for field goals based on our redzone struggles this year and we got nice TD conversions. Of course the one against Tech, was helped by the penalty that got us half the distance when it looked like we were going to kick a field goal.

Coaching: A- for going for it vs. NCSU, BC, FSU after not going for it against SU.

I am part of the 2% of people who actually liked the fact we were going for points late in the first half vs. VT. We were playing to win (unlike Syracuse when we had NO chance in OT so why play for OT?).

Beamer showed all of us how to keep your foot on the opponent's throat when he went crazy on the refs with 2:49 to play the other night. He was clock managing and making sure to run the clock down and he was charged with a time out. He was like "no" I do not want a timeout, run the clock down, and then give me the timeout with 1 second on the play clock. We need to milk this clock some more.

That game was OVER and he was making sure it was over over. I mean slicing the jugular or whatever you want to call it. That was some "A" coaching.

Coaching: A- for going for it vs. NCSU, BC, FSU after not going for it against SU.

I am part of the 2% of people who actually liked the fact we were going for points late in the first half vs. VT. We were playing to win (unlike Syracuse when we had NO chance in OT so why play for OT?).

Beamer showed all of us how to keep your foot on the opponent's throat when he went crazy on the refs with 2:49 to play the other night. He was clock managing and making sure to run the clock down and he was charged with a time out. He was like "no" I do not want a timeout, run the clock down, and then give me the timeout with 1 second on the play clock. We need to milk this clock some more.

That game was OVER and he was making sure it was over over. I mean slicing the jugular or whatever you want to call it. That was some "A" coaching.

I think it was the wrong call, but I'm certainly not going to get on Grobe too much for it. It was a aggressive play and it worked out about as bad as it could have. The reason I didn't like it, was Tech was getting all over Tanner and they already had tons of momentum going into halftime and honestly the odds of something happening to give them more momentum was greater than us getting into scoring range. However, I can't fault Grobe too much for having confidence in our QB and playmakers at WR to give it a shot. Disagreed with the call, but I'm not going to give Grobe much grief over it.

I liked the pass play at the end of the 1st half much more than the consecutive 1st down running plays in the 4th quarter!!!!

I liked the pass play at the end of the 1st half much more than the consecutive 1st down running plays in the 4th quarter!!!!

I know right, I was like turning around and saying, "why are we running the ball now????"

I think it was the wrong call, but I'm certainly not going to get on Grobe too much for it. It was a aggressive play and it worked out about as bad as it could have. The reason I didn't like it, was Tech was getting all over Tanner and they already had tons of momentum going into halftime and honestly the odds of something happening to give them more momentum was greater than us getting into scoring range. However, I can't fault Grobe too much for having confidence in our QB and playmakers at WR to give it a shot. Disagreed with the call, but I'm not going to give Grobe much grief over it.

Agree with this.

There is a difference in kneeing it out on your own 40 with a minute left, and going for gold from your own 10 with a minute left.

Our LBs are slowwww and our entire defense tends to arm tackle and many of those have been broken in the past couple of weeks...

Tighten that up and keep the ball carriers/receivers in front of us and we will be great.

I think more surprising than 4-2 overall is the 3-1 conference record. You tell me before the season we would be 4-2, I'd definitely think the 2 losses would be FSU and VT.

Undefeated in the division so far is AWESOME.

Back