• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mid-Season Report Card...

I think it was the wrong call, but I'm certainly not going to get on Grobe too much for it. It was a aggressive play and it worked out about as bad as it could have. The reason I didn't like it, was Tech was getting all over Tanner and they already had tons of momentum going into halftime and honestly the odds of something happening to give them more momentum was greater than us getting into scoring range. However, I can't fault Grobe too much for having confidence in our QB and playmakers at WR to give it a shot. Disagreed with the call, but I'm not going to give Grobe much grief over it.

On that play, Camp was wide open over the middle. If the ball isn't tipped, it would have been a very big gain. I liked it - wish we could have held them to a fg. I think Grobe has learned you have to score points to win anything nowadays.

That is a valid point, but I think it's also fair to point out that in the past 2 games we've run 3 excellent plays in the red zone for touchdowns. The play action pass to Bohanon against FSU was a thing of beauty as was the 3rd down pass to Davis from the 8 yard line against FSU. Against Tech, the 4th pass to the TE Ford was very nice. In those 3 situations I was afraid we'd have to settle for field goals based on our redzone struggles this year and we got nice TD conversions. Of course the one against Tech, was helped by the penalty that got us half the distance when it looked like we were going to kick a field goal.

True, but our TD percentage was poor in those games.

True, but our TD percentage was poor in those games.

Yeah, but it was just good to see some well-executed red zone plays. Against Va. Tech we just had a hard time getting to the red zone. Only 2 trips I think. :rulz:

On that play, Camp was wide open over the middle. If the ball isn't tipped, it would have been a very big gain. I liked it - wish we could have held them to a fg. I think Grobe has learned you have to score points to win anything nowadays.

Even if we complete the throw, the chances of scoring from the 5 with a minute left after a couple of running plays are nearly nil. We had tons of work left to do to even have a shot at a FG. The risk/reward ratio wasn't in our favor, and ended up biting us right in the arse.

Even if we complete the throw, the chances of scoring from the 5 with a minute left after a couple of running plays are nearly nil. We had tons of work left to do to even have a shot at a FG. The risk/reward ratio wasn't in our favor, and ended up biting us right in the arse.

Yes, that is okay. Grobe trying something different is what I liked. This was not the end of regulation Syracuse Grobe. If he can find a place to be in the middle, there might be better results.

Yes, that is okay. Grobe trying something different is what I liked. This was not the end of regulation Syracuse Grobe. If he can find a place to be in the middle, there might be better results.

Or, we continue the pendulum swing and now the coaches lock up for fear of something bad happening again. I'd have more confidence if not for the inconsistencies we've seen already this season, or in the VT game alone. If you're gonna play super aggressive and go for 95 yards in 1 minute to try to regain momentum, you should also go for it at mid-field on 4th and inches when you already have VT down.

Or, we continue the pendulum swing and now the coaches lock up for fear of something bad happening again. I'd have more confidence if not for the inconsistencies we've seen already this season, or in the VT game alone. If you're gonna play super aggressive and go for 95 yards in 1 minute to try to regain momentum, you should also go for it at mid-field on 4th and inches when you already have VT down.

+1,000.

I don't think there is any question there. Wake definitely should have gone for it on 4th and inches, being in control of the game, would have sent a clear message.

I want our coaches to make smart decisions about aggressive vs. conservative playcalling depending on the situation.

Letting the clock run out in a tie game at our own 45 yard line against Syracuse. Overly conservative. We have great receivers. Throw one deep and give one of them a chance to make a play.

Throwing from our own 20 with 30 seconds left against VT. Overly aggressive. Same with throwing on 1st down against State with a 2 TD lead and the ball with 6 minutes left in the game.

Tanner Price is the only guy on the team that we just absolutely cannot afford to lose (one could argue Nikita as well).

Definitely agree on Tanner, but I think you could make a hell of a case for Noel too. With him most are giving our secondary around a C for a grade. Without him, it would have to be an D- or an F.

Definitely agree on Tanner, but I think you could make a hell of a case for Noel too. With him most are giving our secondary around a C for a grade. Without him, it would have to be an D- or an F.

I certainly helps that opponents seem to shy away from his side of the field, now if we could just be better on the other side.

I would give the oline a C+ for being ions better than last year.

I want our coaches to make smart decisions about aggressive vs. conservative playcalling depending on the situation.

Letting the clock run out in a tie game at our own 45 yard line against Syracuse. Overly conservative. We have great receivers. Throw one deep and give one of them a chance to make a play.

Throwing from our own 20 with 30 seconds left against VT. Overly aggressive. Same with throwing on 1st down against State with a 2 TD lead and the ball with 6 minutes left in the game.

Excellent points. As I posted on another thread, college football is driven heavily by momentum and emotion. Very heavily (Of course I was neg-repped that this was "consistently awful" analysis). Well, whatever, moving forward.

Our staff, at times, seems to not feel the the momentum of the in-game situation. 33,000 people knew that Va Tech was turning the tide and gaining the momentum when they scored to make the game 10-7. Had we gone for the 4th down and made it, the entire mood of the game could have well changed. If this resulted in us going up 17-7, many things in this game could have turned out in our favor because Tech may have started to doubt themselves and begin to lose their confidence in their ability to stop our offense. When that happens, well, you have the FSU game all over again.

Va Tech was clearly the most talented team on the field and likely would have won the game despite our best efforts. However, Wake must take chances when the opportunity ALLOWS and be smart when it does not.

And, as others have posted. If you're going to throw deep in your own territory with Tech having two timeouts, it makes no sense not to go for the 4th down at mid-field.

Back