• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW, Country Dan is Thinking Along With Ron

tbird

Reaction score
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_59df9d8c-b43a-11e3-b3e4-001a4bcf6878.html

"That's not to say there aren't back-channel contacts being made as we speak. If he's not talking to Shaka Smart or Ben Howland directly, you can be safe in assuming he's at least reaching out through emissaries to gauge their interest."

Bet there are quite a few insiders working the phones, internet, carrier pigeon, what have you. Would like to get Baby Deac or other insiders on their take regarding developments...

Last edited:
So wait until next week.

I've always gotten off on studying the all the signs, tea leaves and clues and trying to think along with Ron.

Gross, Dan. Should've rephrased.

Really poorly edited article, but I'm with Dan on most of that. Wellman's gotta be comfortable with the eventual hire-- which, again, is a one-up that we would have on Marquette for any candidate.

So I don't need to be refreshing twitter and the boards every 30 seconds? I can relax and do some work?

Bummer.

"The better way of looking at it is that Wellman will never hire coach he's not comfortable with, or one who is not comfortable with him. And as long as he's the boss, he shouldn't. That's a recipe for disaster from Day One."

Disagree with this philosophy. He should have some baseline comfort with a candidate, but this philosophy almost always translates into a "safe" hire. The biggest decisions most of us face in life are those that we are not always comfortable with and can't predict the outcome. There should be some risk taking going on here if you can't get a Smart or Howland. Gamble on a Mike White, gamble on a Massiello, gamble on someone who is not going to be the vanilla candidate just so that Ron Wellman can be comfortable with it. This program hasn't been to a Final 4 in 52 years and is coming off the worst coaching hire in modern ACC history, take a chance on someone who can make a splash here. Ron Wellman will most likely depart Wake Forest in the next few years, if he truly has Wake's best interest at heart - he'll have some balls here and not just pick someone who he as individual is "comfortable" with.

In Wellman's distorted view, Jeff [Redacted] was a "safe" hire because he knew him and was familiar with his body of work. A much, much better hire and somebody we could have gotten was John Groce but my guess is that Ron was not comfortable with Groce and didn't even consider him (despite Groce's Ohio background).

He owes it to WF to do what's best for the school and not with what makes him comfortable

Last edited:
Besides, unless he feels compelled to lock up a Smart and Howland before they go elsewhere -- and I've seen no signs that he does -- then time is on his side.

Ugh.

So who from the boards is stalking Mike Buddie? We need information!!!!!!1111!!!!!1111!!

I can't possibly see any benefit to dragging out this search.

Agreed. The only things that can happen are more jobs become available and there is more competition for our top candidates.

The more we wait the worse the transition will be. I am willing to bet that RW has to know that so I assume this will not be dragged out 2 more weeks.
Let's all hope so!

I wonder how much of that article was Dan speculating and how much was fed from the AD's office.

I heard next week from somebody off the boards minutes before I saw the article. I'm guessing it came from the AD.

"The better way of looking at it is that Wellman will never hire coach he's not comfortable with, or one who is not comfortable with him. And as long as he's the boss, he shouldn't. That's a recipe for disaster from Day One."

Disagree with this philosophy. He should have some baseline comfort with a candidate, but this philosophy almost always translates into a "safe" hire. The biggest decisions most of us face in life are those that we are not always comfortable with and can't predict the outcome. There should be some risk taking going on here if you can't get a Smart or Howland. Gamble on a Mike White, gamble on a Massiello, gamble on someone who is not going to be the vanilla candidate just so that Ron Wellman can be comfortable with it. This program hasn't been to a Final 4 in 52 years and is coming off the worst coaching hire in modern ACC history, take a chance on someone who can make a splash here. Ron Wellman will most likely depart Wake Forest in the next few years, if he truly has Wake's best interest at heart - he'll have some balls here and not just pick someone who he as individual is "comfortable" with.

In Wellman's distorted view, Jeff [Redacted] was a "safe" hire because he knew him and was familiar with his body of work. A much, much better hire and somebody we could have gotten was John Groce but my guess is that Ron was not comfortable with Groce and didn't even consider him (despite Groce's Ohio background).

He owes it to WF to do what's best for the school and not with what makes him comfortable

Eh - part of what Dan is saying is that Wellman might very well hire someone who isn't a subordinate or a yes-man like [Redacted] obviously was, as evidenced by Skip and Grobe. But he won't hire someone he doesn't believe can succeed at Wake - there are some realities to coaching at the smallest BCS school in the country. You look at how Clawson has embraced those realities and used them as positives - well not every coach would do that. If you go hire a big name for huge money and they come in demanding more exceptions and huge money and try to change Wake in general - you might just overpay a guy to fail and bail in 3 years.

It's easy to let the utter failure of the [Redacted] hire poison the well here, and maybe Ron just doesn't move quickly enough in the current basketball world. But he's not going to only hire some guy he thinks is easygoing and he can be pals with.

"First off, the logistics are complicated, given Wellman's responsibilities with the NCAA Tournament."

Uh, what a complete and utter disappointment if true. A terrible excuse. His main duties are executed. His ass needs to be focusing on his duties as our AD. We paid him almost $2.5M to do so in what, 2011?

And dragging his feet and taking his time to get "comfortable" is complete bullshit. This is the big leagues and he better come to play. Shit, we had Clawson in less than a week right!? Still time to do some spring recruiting and get us a big, so get on with it Ron, no lolygagging or dilly-dallying!

Heh heh, I just said "gagging", cue all the Apple/Pizza references!!

We need to have a decision in place this week if it is to be a Shaka-type hire. The longer it drags out, the less chance of hitting a home run.

I wonder how much of that article was Dan speculating and how much was fed from the AD's office.

After the presser last week, I'm betting Dan is going to have very limited access to the AD for awhile.

If he is fed anything from the AD office, I hope he takes it with a huge grain of salt.

Back