• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW - Dan's Take on the Status of WF Hoops

Excellent job by Dan, I don't even see a post from Ph saying how it could've been better,:thumbsup:

Great article Dan - loved this part...

"And if at the end of the season we debate over whether it was enough to warrant [Redacted] remaining, at least there would be a basis for such a debate. To date, there’s only the counter point. [Redacted] hasn’t provided the point."

I'll never understand the beating Dan takes over here. That's a great article.

To those who think Dan should be lambasting the coach and Wellman with harsher attacks, I think you're missing the bigger picture. This is how you increase accountability - seize on the message of winning that Wellman put out the other day and repeat it. Ignore the bullshit AD-speak, expose just how horribly far we are from the goal he put forward, and don't make it personal.

If you think there is anything that Dan could have written that would have helped remove [Redacted] before the end of year 3, you're delusional.

OK, I find myself agreeing with you way too much recently. :)

"To date I’ve seen nothing to convince me Jeff [Redacted] will get it done at Wake. To date, I’ve seen no reason for fans not to be up in arms about the state and direction of the basketball program."

Dan nailed this one. Outstanding job by him.

That's as harsh an assessment of a WF program as I've ever seen from Dan. And he's right to just focus on the W-L record. That was the problem with the hire in the first place, and it's the problem now. And it doesn't lie.

It's also the sort of commentary I feel we should get from a "home town paper" (which hasn't always been the case).

GJJ, thank you. Was that a Huxley reference? It seems like you just threw down the gauntlet. Maybe that's a little strong, but you called it like you saw it.

I hope that the fan-base is willing to pursue the cause. Not only Bzz, but also his buddy must go.

Feel free to pm me, caps on Scout and lower case over here.

bluefish

Last edited:
Awesome job Dan! Glad to see the media reaching our frustration point from 3 years ago.

Dan deserves major props for this and the RW interview

Did anyone see that the Alumni Hall retail store at Hanes Mall (W-S) is no longer selling Wake gear? They said they can't sell it. They are selling more NC State stuff than Wake stuff. So much more that they are no longer selling Wake gear and replacing it with NC State gear. If our fans aren't buying here, then where? Just another sign of the Deacon demise.

Excellent job by Dan, I don't even see a post from Ph saying how it could've been better,:thumbsup:

Haha. My only criticism is retrospective. It's good to see Dan finally got where many of us have been for quite awhile.

--------------------
No, the debacles I'm talking about are either losses to teams like Stetson or Winthrop or UNC Wilmington or Presbyterian or Wofford that no ACC team should lose to, or else they’re brutal floggings by mediocre, if not fatally flawed teams.

And two of those debacles, the meltdown against Iona and the 16-point home no-show against Nebraska, have been inflicted this season.

But disappointing as those two were, they weren’t of the really, really wretched variety like the 74-39 flogging by a Georgia Tech that won all of 13 games all season, or the 76-40 stomping Mark Gottfried, in his first season at N.C. State, administered last season. (That was the game that the Wake players didn’t need to know the offensive plays. Assistant Bobby Lutz of N.C. State spent the whole game telling them, his team and everyone else within earshot where they were going before they got there).

Even with that, the lowest of the low moments, the absolute nadir, had to be 80-55 home shellacking by N.C. State the season before. The Wolfpack finished their season at 15-16 and Sidney Lowe finished his without a job.
------------

Where was the criticism after those losses? These losses are horrific individually not just as part of a 75 game package.

Great opening. Great ending.

Yes, because Dan make two very important points, one aimed at Ron Wellman, but one aimed at some on this board.

First for Wellman: In three seasons Bzz has shown ZERO reason to be retained as Wake's head coach.

Second (although first in Dan's piece): Those fans (mainly on this board) expressing hatred for Bzz as a person, and calling for his personal injury or death, are indeed PATHETIC. Being outraged over the state of the basketball program is justified. Calling for Bzz's and Wellman's firing is fair game. But hating Bzz as a human being and calling for personal harm is sick.

I am BzzOut and WellmanOut, but Dan is absolutely right in his second important message.

Haha. My only criticism is retrospective. It's good to see Dan finally got where many of us have been for quite awhile.

--------------------
No, the debacles I'm talking about are either losses to teams like Stetson or Winthrop or UNC Wilmington or Presbyterian or Wofford that no ACC team should lose to, or else they’re brutal floggings by mediocre, if not fatally flawed teams.

And two of those debacles, the meltdown against Iona and the 16-point home no-show against Nebraska, have been inflicted this season.

But disappointing as those two were, they weren’t of the really, really wretched variety like the 74-39 flogging by a Georgia Tech that won all of 13 games all season, or the 76-40 stomping Mark Gottfried, in his first season at N.C. State, administered last season. (That was the game that the Wake players didn’t need to know the offensive plays. Assistant Bobby Lutz of N.C. State spent the whole game telling them, his team and everyone else within earshot where they were going before they got there).

Even with that, the lowest of the low moments, the absolute nadir, had to be 80-55 home shellacking by N.C. State the season before. The Wolfpack finished their season at 15-16 and Sidney Lowe finished his without a job.
------------

Where was the criticism after those losses? These losses are horrific individually not just as part of a 75 game package.

Well, I've give Dan a pass for waiting 2+ seasons before he is very critical of a coach who he needs to have access to perform his job. He has to recognize constraints in what he writes, where as we don't, on this board at least.

The fact he has shown restraint over the years makes it even more powerful. Makes him less of a lunatic fringe.

Back