• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muslim ban already having effect

I hope the lawyers don't censor themselves. I don't always follow their posts, but I sometimes try and sometimes do glean something from them. Wake has a law school. Lawyers going to lawyer. Post freely. Scrolling down posts you don't like or understand is part of being in a message board community.

But yes, breaking things down to layman's terms is always appreciated.

Agreed. I enjoy the posts.

And Barca and ITC - its not hard to google things. It's actually a really good way to learn things - read something about something you don't know about, and then seek out further explanation.

what is the significance of that

Significance of en banc: it just means that a bigger panel of 9th Circuit judges will likely choose to reconsider the current 3-judge panel's decision. It's actually not that significant, imo, and should be expected in a case like this. Other lawyers may disagree.

Significance of "word on the street": the leaks have to come from somewhere, and judges themselves are famously tight-lipped. If someone is actually leaking that certain 9th Circuit judges are "prepping to try to en banc this," then it's probably coming from the clerks. That's a really, really bad look for the clerks. Extreme confidentiality is the rule for judicial clerks.

Significance of en banc: it just means that a bigger panel of 9th Circuit judges will likely choose to reconsider the current 3-judge panel's decision. It's actually not that significant, imo, and should be expected in a case like this. Other lawyers may disagree.

Significance of "word on the street": the leaks have to come from somewhere, and judges themselves are famously tight-lipped. If someone is actually leaking that certain 9th Circuit judges are "prepping to try to en banc this," then it's probably coming from the clerks. That's a really, really bad look for the clerks. Extreme confidentiality is the rule for judicial clerks.

But if it's to be expected - its not really a leak, right?

But if it's to be expected - its not really a leak, right?

Yes, it's still a leak.

The basic point is that judicial chambers are sacrosanct. It's a really bad look for there to be rumors about a judge's (or group of judges) thoughts about a case.

Anyway, everybody can carry on. I'm getting all righteous about this but it's a sideshow on this thread.

And Barca and ITC - its not hard to google things. It's actually a really good way to learn things - read something about something you don't know about, and then seek out further explanation.

thanks for the #protip

an/or i could ask people i sort of know to break it down

There a definition and then there is application and relevance.

Yes, it's still a leak.

The basic point is that judicial chambers are sacrosanct. It's a really bad look for there to be rumors about a judge's (or group of judges) thoughts about a case.

Anyway, everybody can carry on. I'm getting all righteous about this but it's a sideshow on this thread.

Did you clerk?

Yes, it's still a leak.

Word on the street that the judge is going to wear a black robe tomorrow doesn't really call for any outrage, does it?

this mans thirst for knowledge is inspiring.

Learning how to understand court cases is not a bad skill, given that the courts play a big role in a lot of major political issues. I read tons of cases before I ever went to law school just to try to figure out what's going on in the country. The judiciary is the only branch of government that actually explains itself in written form, it's a shame to have to rely upon often-incomplete media reports of what they decided.

I think the over/under is 950. Am I close?

over.
I bet i could knock you the fuck out in 10 seconds? I bet I banged way hotter pussy than you. I bet my wife is hotter than yours. I bet my kids are cuter.

I bet I am happier. am i close?

over.
I bet i could knock you the fuck out in 10 seconds? I bet I banged way hotter pussy than you. I bet my wife is hotter than yours. I bet my kids are cuter.

I bet I am happier. am i close?

qfp

Did you clerk?

Yes, but nothing fancy. I was a pretty mediocre law student. Most of my experience with clerks at the federal courts of appeals and above comes from shooting the shit with smart classmates with sterling credentials.

Learning how to understand court cases is not a bad skill, given that the courts play a big role in a lot of major political issues. I read tons of cases before I ever went to law school just to try to figure out what's going on in the country. The judiciary is the only branch of government that actually explains itself in written form, it's a shame to have to rely upon often-incomplete media reports of what they decided.

Counterpoint: judicial opinions are waayyyyy too long these days. Posner is totally right about this.

Back