• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muslim ban already having effect

I definitely agree with this, but was really curious about how most on here (like Palma, Barca, and ITC who I would consider informed/educated) handle it

To be honest, I just don't care about the legality or constitutionality of anything other than the drunk driving laws, internet gambling and probably abortion.

Counterpoint: judicial opinions are waayyyyy too long these days. Posner is totally right about this.

I tend to agree, though Posner is no angel himself in this regard given that he often spends a few paragraphs on the actual case in front of him before launching off on a multi-page tangent about some minor observation that has nothing to do with resolving the case.

I tend to agree, though Posner is no angel himself in this regard given that he often spends a few paragraphs on the actual case in front of him before launching off on a multi-page tangent about some minor observation that has nothing to do with resolving the case.

whoa whoa whoa, can you break this down for the layman?

To be honest, I just don't care about the legality or constitutionality of anything other than the drunk driving laws, internet gambling and probably abortion.

Yet you have commented 43 times on a thread specifically discussing the legality of something proposed as an EO by the current POTUS.

Yet you have commented 43 times on a thread specifically discussing the legality of something proposed as an EO by the current POTUS.

But I don't care which way it ends up. I'm not trying to tell you how to think, I'm asking if you'd like to.

This argument is NOT going well for the government

Where did you watch this? You'd think they'd be able to put together a coherent argument in a couple days. Is it not going well because they aren't arguing what they should be or because the 9th Circuit seems skeptical to nobody's surprise?

Where did you watch this? You'd think they'd be able to put together a coherent argument in a couple days. Is it not going well because they aren't arguing what they should be or because the 9th Circuit seems skeptical to nobody's surprise?

I mean it appears that they've largely lost the GWB-appointed judge on the panel, at least on reinstating the ban in full. And their lawyer has been pretty rough, seems unprepared, surprised they weren't able to drum up someone better.

I mean it appears that they've largely lost the GWB-appointed judge on the panel, at least on reinstating the ban in full. And their lawyer has been pretty rough, seems unprepared, surprised they weren't able to drum up someone better.

You're surprised the Trump administration is unprepared?

From what I read it seemed like the judges were pretty combative towards both lawyers.

It probably didn't go well for the government lawyers because they are likely arguing the losing side and they didn't have the answers to questions the judge asked.

From what I read it seemed like the judges were pretty combative towards both lawyers.

It probably didn't go well for the government lawyers because they are likely arguing the losing side and they didn't have the answers to questions the judge asked.

Meh, sounded like a typical oral argument to me

You're surprised the Trump administration is unprepared?

I'm somewhat surprised that an apparently-respected career employee in the DOJ was unprepared. The DOJ has some of the best lawyers in the country. You don't often see bad lawyering out of them

I've been a little bit surprised about the tact that some on the right are taking defending this. I've read a lot of statements from GOP representatives and senators saying that it's not about religion, but that it's based on the nation that the immigrants/refugees are coming from. Legally though that's not a better position to stake out anyway. They need to be saying "no it's neither" to be successful.

I've been a little bit surprised about the tact that some on the right are taking defending this. I've read a lot of statements from GOP representatives and senators saying that it's not about religion, but that it's based on the nation that the immigrants/refugees are coming from. Legally though that's not a better position to stake out anyway. They need to be saying "no it's neither" to be successful.

I think it is actually a better position because my understanding is that the ban on discrimination on national origin doesn't apply to refugees and those on non-immigrant visas.

Why don't we have a ban on white supremacists? One committed a massacre in Montreal. Dylan Roof committed a massacre in Charleston. Another made a call to police and executed multiple cops. Add that to a history of murders, rapes and arson by white supremacists and there is no doubt they have committed many more crimes and killed many more people than Muslims have. Why aren't they banned?

Why can Le Pen and Farage be welcomed into the US by Trump but Ishmael the Muslim doctor from Yemen is banned?

Last edited:
“I was a good student. I understand things. I comprehend very well, okay? Better than, I think, almost anybody. And I want to tell you, I listened to a bunch of stuff last night on television that was disgraceful. It was disgraceful because what I just read to you is what we have. And it just can't be written any plainer or better and for us to be going through this.”

I want to see his transcripts.

I think it is actually a better position because my understanding is that the ban on discrimination on national origin doesn't apply to refugees and those on non-immigrant visas.

Yeah I should have clarified that I meant for upholding the ban in its current and entire written form. Obviously the court isn't just going to let the executive get away with saying "we won't apply this to green card holders" barring an actual change in the language of the ban since voluntary cessation doesn't normally render an issue moot.

Back