• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muslim ban already having effect

Just read Washington and Minnesota's brief.

It seems to me that the government is going to have trouble (credibly) arguing that 1182(f) gives permission to ban on the basis of national origin since 1152(a) was passed 13 years later than 1182(f). Obviously Congress was aware of what 1182(f) said when it passed 1152(a), but also 1152(a) provides specific exemptions as to when nationality could be taken into account. 1182(f) is not an included exception.

I find this to be a fairly persuasive argument that the government cannot use 1182(f) to ban on the basis of national origin.

Extreme Vetting. And Numbers has me on ignore but not palma- he's a way bigger troll than me. WTF

giphy.gif

Not even trolling. Outside of fellow lawyers, every single other person just skips all lawyerspeak posts.

Well that's pretty dumb when the discussion is about the legality of something.

Word on the street is that the conservative Ninth Circuit judges are already prepping to try to en banc this if the motions panel upholds the TRO/injunction

So let's just talk about our feelings on the ban and not whether it's actually constitutional or legal on the day that there's an appeal based on...the constitutionality or legality of the ban?

Solid. I eagerly await the day that there's a challenge to the ban based on "how people feel policy-wise about the ban."

I'm just saying I scroll past those posts, like #777 in this thread, for example.

i mean, plama's right that the non-lawyers skip stuff that's indecipherable

So let's just talk about our feelings on the ban and not whether it's actually constitutional or legal on the day that there's an appeal based on...the constitutionality or legality of the ban?

Solid. I eagerly await the day that there's a challenge to the ban based on "how people feel policy-wise about the ban."

That's basically Trump's approach. He's going to SCOTUS because "some things are about law and some are about common sense"

Word on the street is that the conservative Ninth Circuit judges are already prepping to try to en banc this if the motions panel upholds the TRO/injunction

I had to look up what en banc is. Do we need a separate lawyerspeak thread?

Back