• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Naming your children

Just don't try to be too unique. It's your kid's name, not some statement about how hip you are.

No matter what you name your kid, the other kids in school are going to find a way to make fun of it.

Named my daughter Jordan and my son Jason.

My daughter complains that hers is a boys name, and that at the very least, we could have spelled it Jordin. She's 16, so I ignore her.

I have a fairly uncommon name and, while sometimes people mess it up, I generally really like it. Rarely have problems with other people having the same name in class. Sometimes its a good conversation starter. I think the good balance is between a not very common name BUT one that doesn't have crazy spellings.

Yeah -agree. At the time I was born, my name was pretty much unheard of. It has gotten more common with time, but I was always really happy that I never had to worry about someone else having my name. People constantly mess it up, but I always think that's better than having some super bland top 5 name.

My daughter complains that hers is a boys name, and that at the very least, we could have spelled it Jordin. She's 16, so I ignore her.

My name, Sam, is unisexual and its bothersome, although as I said earlier I was named for my grandfather so I like that. I contend that Sam is a boys name always, girls should go by Samantha

My mother named me after an MLB player. I'm a girl. I hated it at 16, but I love it now.

Well shoot. I thought there might be some guesses, but I didn't expect ya'll to get it on the first try.

No matter what you name your kid, the other kids in school are going to find a way to make fun of it.

Please avoid naming children after cities, fruit, or old-timey occupations.

In our case, we talked about the name a lot in the first month after we found out we were having a boy. We didn't come to any agreement so we stopped talking about it for awhile. We got suggestions of names from people, some solicited, some not. We wanted a name that wasn't common and had significant meaning. She preferred a Hispanic name. I preferred a biblical name. We wanted something that was short or easy to shorten and hard to make fun of.

We had a few names selected by the time he was born that met some of those criteria and we wouldn't share them with people to avoid the haters. When he was born, he didn't look like any of the names and we were so excited that we didn't really care if he had a name or not. He had been "him" to that point so for the first 24 hours it was a non-issue and we made sure family and visitors knew that. Well it came time to kick us out at noon on Saturday and we had to come up with something to put on the release forms, so my wife blurted out a name I'm sure we had considered in the past but dropped because it's become relatively common in recent years. I liked it so we went with it. We knew he'd be a big kid and it was a good name for a big kid who wouldn't take crap but didn't cause trouble.

The middle name was between my wife's maiden name, her mom's maiden name, or her favorite uncle (dad's brother) and we went with the uncle.

Please avoid naming children after cities, fruit, or old-timey occupations. I think there are exceptions to this (or at least I am hoping there are)...like if it was a name before it was a city

In our case, we talked about the name a lot in the first month after we found out we were having a boy. We didn't come to any agreement so we stopped talking about it for awhile. Yeah we talked about it a lot in the beginning and it's dropped off the radar, but Matt is insistent we have a name chosen before I go into labor or we will never be able to decide and I want to sit with the names for a while, so I am starting to feel like we need to narrow it down
Also, I really like the name you chose, it's on our list but one of the "is this too common" ones.

Also, I really like the name you chose, it's on our list but one of the "is this too common" ones.

Yeah. The kicker for us was that although it was too common there were three things that made it fine along with the fact we were on a deadline:
1. My name is extremely common and I like it fine. I just ignore people who only say my first name without saying my last name if I don't recognize the voice.
2. My wife's full given name is extremely uncommon and she hates it. It's also her mom's name. Both of us are "juniors".
3. None of our friends or their children had that name.

Well lo and behold, there is another kid with that name in his day care and we went to the kid's birthday party a few weeks ago.

^^^Nevaeh?

heard that one called out at the pediatrician's office the other day. first time i had heard it was 16 and pregnant, though i'm sure they were not the ones to come up with it.

Tanner is the only one I can think of (maybe Hunter?)

Here are a few off the top of my head.
Tanner
Hunter
Baxter
Brewster
Carpenter
Chandler
Clark
Cooper
Fisher
Fuller
Mason
Sawyer
Trapper
Tucker
Turner

A lot of the "er" names are just old occupations.

Last edited:
Our 2nd choice for a name is the name of a notable cast member on the Real World/Road Rules Challenge. I'm holding it in reserve in case we have another boy down the road.

Back