• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA Off-season thread: Duncan and Garnett retire

It actually makes zero sense.

Player A: 23 years old, 30.1mpg, 13.4p, 4.4r, 11.0 FGA, 47/40/86 shooting, 15.6 PER, 19.9 USG rate, 1.4 BPM

Player B: 24 years old, 24.2 mpg, 9.5p, 4.6r, 8.2 FGA, 42/29/76 shooting, 14.1 PER, 17.9 USG, 0.5 BPM

Harrison Barnes: 24 years old, 30.9 mpg, 11.7p, 4.9r, 9.6 FGA, 47/38/76 shooting, 12.3 PER, 15.9 USG, -0.2 BPM

Player A signed for 5 years/ $70 million last year after posting the stats above.

Player B signed for 5 years/ $35 million last year after posting the stats above.

SF isn’t a super deep position in the NBA but off the top of my head I can think of 5 SF under the age of 25 I’d rather pay $90 million than Harrison Barnes

Its a trap! There are no players with such stats! Yes, I'd rather sign a ghost than Barnes as well, but Barnes was still a top 2 guy outta HS.

29 whole games? WOW. Yep, I'd spend $70-90M off of 29 games.

good to know rj would run his imaginary team like the sixers and sign no one because everyone but superstars are overpaid.

29 whole games? WOW. Yep, I'd spend $70-90M off of 29 games.

I'm losing track of your point due to the moving goalposts.

My point is that when you look at Bismack's productivity through any number of metrics, compare his career trajectory to similarly productive players, and look at his actual production as a starter, it's not a stretch to see that he has a lot of potential left with the physical/mental combo to actually keep improving.

DeAndre Jordan was 23 going on 24 in 2012-13 and posted 8.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg, and 1.4 bpg in 24.5 mpg. That's 10.9 points, 12.3 rebounds, and 3.0 blocks per 40 minutes page adjusted. He did so without much in the way of competition for playing time.

Bismack Biyombo is 23 years old, going on 24 in August and in 2015-16 he posted in 5.7 ppg, 8.3 rpg, and 1.6 bpg in 22.7 mpg. That's 10.2 points, 14.9 rebounds, and 2.8 blocks per 40 minutes pace adjusted. He did so while playing behind Jonas Valanciunas.

I'm not saying that Biyombo is Jordan, but I am saying that Biyombo deserves to get paid and, based on his resume so far, it's going to be a lot of money.

good to know rj would run his imaginary team like the sixers and sign no one because everyone but superstars are overpaid.

I didn't say that. What I said was I wouldn't sign Barnes for stupid money.

As to Biyambo, the Sixers have FOUR Top 3 picks, a #7 pick and a #12 pick that play PF or C. It would be crazy to add another under 25 PF/C. Mazybe in your world, it's wise to spend money on the only position your team has, but it the rest of the basketball world such a move would laughed at.

I didn't say that. What I said was I wouldn't sign Barnes for stupid money.

As to Biyambo, the Sixers have FOUR Top 3 picks, a #7 pick and a #12 pick that play PF or C. It would be crazy to add another under 25 PF/C. Mazybe in your world, it's wise to spend money on the only position your team has, but it the rest of the basketball world such a move would laughed at.

When did we start talking about Biyombo to the Sixers? I don't care where he goes and agree with you that the Sixers would be a weird destination. I just want the dude to get paid for being really good at basketball.

I'm losing track of your point due to the moving goalposts.

My point is that when you look at Bismack's productivity through any number of metrics, compare his career trajectory to similarly productive players, and look at his actual production as a starter, it's not a stretch to see that he has a lot of potential left with the physical/mental combo to actually keep improving.

DeAndre Jordan was 23 going on 24 in 2012-13 and posted 8.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg, and 1.4 bpg in 24.5 mpg. That's 10.9 points, 12.3 rebounds, and 3.0 blocks per 40 minutes page adjusted. He did so without much in the way of competition for playing time.

Bismack Biyombo is 23 years old, going on 24 in August and in 2015-16 he posted in 5.7 ppg, 8.3 rpg, and 1.6 bpg in 22.7 mpg. That's 10.2 points, 14.9 rebounds, and 2.8 blocks per 40 minutes pace adjusted. He did so while playing behind Jonas Valanciunas.

I'm not saying that Biyombo is Jordan, but I am saying that Biyombo deserves to get paid and, based on his resume so far, it's going to be a lot of money.

Look at what Isaid. I never said he shouldn't be paid. What I'm saying is he shouldn't get mega-bucks based on what may or may not happen.

DJ didn't get his mega-buck deal until he had led the NBA twice in rebounding, three times in FG% and was Top 3 in blocks three times.

When Biyambo can say that or even something close to that, then you talk about him being paid $20M. Let him do those things at least once to get $15M.

He will likely get over $15M, but it's a tremendous gamble.

When did we start talking about Biyombo to the Sixers? I don't care where he goes and agree with you that the Sixers would be a weird destination. I just want the dude to get paid for being really good at basketball.

Itlookedl ike phan was bringing him into the discussion.

I have NO problem paying people tons of money. Lebron, KD, Kawhi and others are grossly underpaid. I have problem paying mediocre players and those who haven't proven anything like they are stars.

I'd guess this wouldn't be such a heated topic if we discussed the salaries in terms of a % of salary cap. Biyombo will get around $15mm average this summer or about 16% of the cap which is the same as a $9mm average just two years ago when the cap was $58mm dollars.

Basically no one of any note is going to sign for less than 8 figures a year again.

Look at what Isaid. I never said he shouldn't be paid. What I'm saying is he shouldn't get mega-bucks based on what may or may not happen.

DJ didn't get his mega-buck deal until he had led the NBA twice in rebounding, three times in FG% and was Top 3 in blocks three times.

When Biyambo can say that or even something close to that, then you talk about him being paid $20M. Let him do those things at least once to get $15M.

He will likely get over $15M, but it's a tremendous gamble.

It's not a tremendous gamble in a new market. He'll receive something equivalent under this new CBA to Jordan's $10-11 mil under the old CBA.

Don't forget, Jordan's salary went from $845,389 to $10,079,404 (peaked at 11,404,124 in 14-15) after a 2010-2011 season where he averaged 7.5 ppg, 7.8 rpg, and 1.8 bpg in 66 games as a starter. The Clippers gave him a ton of money for a foul-prone, raw second round pick and it took two full seasons for the gamble to pay off. But it paid off and it helped them build a playoff contender.

This is just how free agency markets work. Comparing new salary dollar amounts to old salary dollar amounts is about as fruitless as comparing players' per game averages.

ETA: or as FYC stated more eloquently -

I'd guess this wouldn't be such a heated topic if we discussed the salaries in terms of a % of salary cap. Biyombo will get around $15mm average this summer or about 16% of the cap which is the same as a $9mm average just two years ago when the cap was $58mm dollars.

Basically no one of any note is going to sign for less than 8 figures a year again.

Is Biyombo really 23, or is that a Maker/Ibaka age?

Itlookedl ike phan was bringing him into the discussion.

I have NO problem paying people tons of money. Lebron, KD, Kawhi and others are grossly underpaid. I have problem paying mediocre players and those who haven't proven anything like they are stars.

i was just pointing out that you wouldnt pay anyone but superstars, much like sixers have done. as such youd field a shit team much like the sixers.

Is Biyombo really 23, or is that a Maker/Ibaka age?

It is often questioned, I don't think any evidence has ever come out directly questioning his age as is currently going on with Thon. No one ever questioned Ibaka's age until he started an obvious decline in athleticism and play when he should have been in his absolute prime. The thing is lying about your age for sports is common for players with African or Latin American background.

It's not a tremendous gamble in a new market. He'll receive something equivalent under this new CBA to Jordan's $10-11 mil under the old CBA.

Don't forget, Jordan's salary went from $845,389 to $10,079,404 (peaked at 11,404,124 in 14-15) after a 2010-2011 season where he averaged 7.5 ppg, 7.8 rpg, and 1.8 bpg in 66 games as a starter. The Clippers gave him a ton of money for a foul-prone, raw second round pick and it took two full seasons for the gamble to pay off. But it paid off and it helped them build a playoff contender.

This is just how free agency markets work. Comparing new salary dollar amounts to old salary dollar amounts is about as fruitless as comparing players' per game averages.

ETA: or as FYC stated more eloquently -

READ what I said. You RARELY do.

I said " He will likely get over $15M, but it's a tremendous gamble."

That's EXACTLY what you said.

BUT Jordan had to prove being a star to get Max money. If Biyombo gets close to that, it's outrageous.

That's not what I said and it's not going to be max money. Good grief. Furthermore: For you, it's a bad gamble. For me, it's a gamble that is necessary if you want to sign an up and coming player with potential. It happens every off-season, albeit with different cap restrictions.

Read FYC's post that I quoted if my point isn't coming across. He stated it far better.

Just got an alert that D-Wade's people have sent feelers to the Spurs and Mavs.

Just got an alert that D-Wade's people have sent feelers to the Spurs and Mavs.

What? That is not something I would have thought to hear. Ever.

#hottakealert

It's happening! durant and wade on vet minimum deals! Suck it rest of the nba.

Back