• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAAT discussion (the end)

Looking ahead to the ACC next season, UVA is gonna blow doors on everyone (don't see Jerome leaving early). Duke won't have the elite talent, and K isn't anything special anymore; VT loses a ton (and probably their coach); UNC loses a ton (and Coby White and Nassir Little leave for the draft hopefully); FSU loses Mann, Cofer, Koumadje, Savoy, and others; Cuse loses Tyus Battle and Paschal Chukwu. The ACC is wide open after UVA next year.

But of course Wake basketball will stay sucking.

Last edited:
This is one of the top headlines on ESPN right now (instead of, you know, something on MSU, the team that just beat them) - "Duke Emotional After Tourney Run Ends Vs. MSU". It includes this shit-ass quote: "All the adversity, it made us so close as a group. We all wanted to win so bad, and that's what hurts so much." OH, THE ADVERSITY!!!!

Also incudes this shit-ass statement: "For the past seven months, Duke (32-6) and its quartet of freshmen were a story so big that it overshadowed nearly everything else in college basketball." Yeah, because you, ESPN, have been hyping and recruiting for Duke since the beginning of the season, from your "Earn Everything" Duke advertising show, to constantly fellating what turned out to be an overrated squad.

Sure, a group of one and dones who will all play in the NBA are as emotional as players on other teams who have put in 4 years together and their basketball careers are over. Fuck off ESPN, and fuck Duke forever. And fuck you, Bilas.

i read that. adversity? what fucking adversity?

Best player twisted knee and took off a month when he really didn't need more than two games to heal. Also, they had to watch Jack White miss 67 straight 3-point shots.

This is one of the top headlines on ESPN right now (instead of, you know, something on MSU, the team that just beat them) - "Duke Emotional After Tourney Run Ends Vs. MSU". It includes this shit-ass quote: "All the adversity, it made us so close as a group. We all wanted to win so bad, and that's what hurts so much." OH, THE ADVERSITY!!!!

Also incudes this shit-ass statement: "For the past seven months, Duke (32-6) and its quartet of freshmen were a story so big that it overshadowed nearly everything else in college basketball." Yeah, because you, ESPN, have been hyping and recruiting for Duke since the beginning of the 90s, from your "Earn Everything" Duke advertising show, to constantly fellating what turned out to be an overrated squad.

Sure, a group of one and dones who will all play in the NBA are as emotional as players on other teams who have put in 4 years together and their basketball careers are over. Fuck off ESPN, and fuck Duke forever. And fuck you, Bilas.

Got a FIFY offering above in bold.

Nice to see Duke winning another November national title as usual. K once again underachieved with elite talent.

Nobody thought the #1 overall seed had a chance to win it all. Huge accomplishment to even get to the elite eight. Hats off to Duke for really over achieving this season.

NBA draft projections have Tre Jones as a fringe first rounder. Is it a given that he is gone ?

BTW, realize everyone has Cam Reddish as a top 10 pick, but he did little (as in nothing) to distinguish himself this year. He is listed at 6-8, and he shot 39% from 2 and 33% from 3; he turned the ball over twice as often as he recorded assists. His offense rating was not only below Zion and Barrett, but it was worst of anyone who got regular minutes at Duke this year; yes, a worse offensive rating than Bolden, O'Connell and Jack White. Further, just from the eye test, he rarely distinguished himself. In the final minutes against Michigan State, there was no thought that Reddish would make a decisive play. Would not be excited if I was a fan of whatever team takes him with a lottery pick in June.

Where is the 'crying' blue devil kid from the ACCT way back when. After the 'Zion' love hear and the 'dook is not so hate-able bs, I completely enjoyed seeing those prima donna's stunned that they couldn't even get to the final 4.

Made only more special, because of ESPN's series on dook basket ball, where Kaye tells this team how he got LaBron to shoot spot up 3's. How did that work our for you kaye? Some real sweet irony in that.

Just amazing how many highly ranked recruits flop at Duke. If that happened almost anywhere else, the crash and burn of a sure-fire lottery pick would be on the program, but at Duke it's always on the player.

NBA draft projections have Tre Jones as a fringe first rounder. Is it a given that he is gone ?

BTW, realize everyone has Cam Reddish as a top 10 pick, but he did little (as in nothing) to distinguish himself this year. He is listed at 6-8, and he shot 39% from 2 and 33% from 3; he turned the ball over twice as often as he recorded assists. His offense rating was not only below Zion and Barrett, but it was worst of anyone who got regular minutes at Duke this year; yes, a worse offensive rating than Bolden, O'Connell and Jack White. Further, just from the eye test, he rarely distinguished himself. In the final minutes against Michigan State, there was no thought that Reddish would make a decisive play. Would not be excited if I was a fan of whatever team takes him with a lottery pick in June.

He shot well against UVA, but I agree with your point. This is why I think Hunter is a top 10 pick - I'd take Hunter over Reddish. And Hunter hasn't exactly distinguished himself in the tourney. He needs to improve his handle a bit and his outside shooting, but even if you don't get a ton of improvement, he's a versatile guy who can effectively guard anyone from the 1 to the 4 at the next level. BTW, I'm interested to see how Tony defends MSU if both get to the title game. I think he puts Hunter on Winston for a lot of the game and plays Key more over Clark.

Jerome is a fringe 1st rounder too, but I'm thinking both he and Tre Jones come back. Tre is a good defender but needs to spend the offseason shooting 500 jump shots a day. I think Jerome will end up being a decent pro PG. He has a good handle, is tough, has NBA range, and though he's not overly quick, he gets his hands on a lot of balls. What I don't get is how Jerome is a fringe 1st rounder, yet many are projecting NAW as a lottery pick. I like Tech, but I don't see it.

Just amazing how many highly ranked recruits flop at Duke. If that happened almost anywhere else, the crash and burn of a sure-fire lottery pick would be on the program, but at Duke it's always on the player.

would be interesting to compare with Kentucky

Reddish finished the season with an 96.4 offensive rating (NCAA average is approximately 100).

He had a very bad season relative to expectations, particularly given the creators around him on the team.

Reddish has the look of a guy who would be good- tall, good shooter, slightly-above average athleticism, but I rarely saw look manifest itself into actually good play.

As fun as it is to contemplate, I think it's premature to dance on Duke's grave. I'm guessing they're gonna be just fine next year.

I also suspect NCSU will take another step forward.

Woulda been a pretty good year though to break in a new coach with our returning roster. Oh whale.

Once K retires, who will be the coach everyone either irrationally adores or absolutely despises? No one is neutral on him. Will anyone take that mantle or is he truly a once in a lifetime personality? My guess is the latter. There doesn’t seem to be a Bobby Knight/K type disciple out there. I’m going to live the ACC when he’s gone.* It will be a bizarre but delightful new reality.

*Assuming Wake also becomes competitive again someday.

Once K retires, who will be the coach everyone either irrationally adores or absolutely despises? No one is neutral on him. Will anyone take that mantle or is he truly a once in a lifetime personality? My guess is the latter. There doesn’t seem to be a Bobby Knight/K type disciple out there. I’m going to live the ACC when he’s gone.* It will be a bizarre but delightful new reality.

*Assuming Wake also becomes competitive again someday.

Huggins, Pearl, Calipari and Frank Martin are still out there. I'm not that fond of little Pitino under the theory that the apple can't fall that far from the tree. And I still hate Wojo on general principle.

Back