• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAAT discussion (the end)

Fran McCaffrey is fucking awful. I also would like to punch Matt Painter's punchable face. I always want to hate Izzo, but it's merely a dislike.

If Pastner ever succeeds at Ga Tech people are going to hate him.

Kids will still be able to go to college for one year then leave for the NBA. Could argue this just raises the price big time programs will have to pay for talent. There will still be plenty of money in college hoops.

But arguably the vast majority of the players good enough to go pro after one year in college were good enough to skip college completely, and that is what most will do.

NBA draft projections have Tre Jones as a fringe first rounder. Is it a given that he is gone ?

BTW, realize everyone has Cam Reddish as a top 10 pick, but he did little (as in nothing) to distinguish himself this year. He is listed at 6-8, and he shot 39% from 2 and 33% from 3; he turned the ball over twice as often as he recorded assists. His offense rating was not only below Zion and Barrett, but it was worst of anyone who got regular minutes at Duke this year; yes, a worse offensive rating than Bolden, O'Connell and Jack White. Further, just from the eye test, he rarely distinguished himself. In the final minutes against Michigan State, there was no thought that Reddish would make a decisive play. Would not be excited if I was a fan of whatever team takes him with a lottery pick in June.

Plus sitting out games due to mystery illness and injury.

The G-League becoming a true developmental minor league would have a much greater impact on college basketball than a one-and-done rule change

Last edited:
Once K retires, who will be the coach everyone either irrationally adores or absolutely despises? No one is neutral on him. Will anyone take that mantle or is he truly a once in a lifetime personality? My guess is the latter. There doesn’t seem to be a Bobby Knight/K type disciple out there. I’m going to live the ACC when he’s gone.* It will be a bizarre but delightful new reality.

*Assuming Wake also becomes competitive again someday.

There may not be a great ncaa bball comparison right now. I think saban and dabo fit the description better than anyone.

Once K retires, who will be the coach everyone either irrationally adores or absolutely despises? No one is neutral on him. Will anyone take that mantle or is he truly a once in a lifetime personality? My guess is the latter. There doesn’t seem to be a Bobby Knight/K type disciple out there. I’m going to live the ACC when he’s gone.* It will be a bizarre but delightful new reality.

Does anyone like Calipari outside of UK fans?

Speaking of - https://theathletic.com/900121/2019...-lifetime-contract-to-fend-off-ucla-interest/

Pretty amazing that UVA basically just played 6 guys for the whole game. Very talented guys but not very deep which could definitely hurt them vs. Auburn if they can't slow it down and force more of a half court game.

Some thoughts on the Final 4 teams:

-- Slow pace doesn't win in the NCAA tournament: no team in the Final 4 is in the top 150 in tempo - Auburn is #153, Mich. State is #201, Texas Tech is #229, UVA is #353. Playing slow seemed to help in the tournament this year.

- Got to have top-rated recruits one and done freshman recruits to get to the Final 4. Only 3 top 100 freshmen on any of the Final 4 roster and none of them play a significant role (247 rankings) and none are one and dones: #66 Marcus Bingham (MSU) and #96 Foster Loyer (MSU). FWIW, WF had two to 100 recruits on its roster. Kentucky and Duke had 4 top 25 players, Kansas had 2, Vandy had 2, Oregon had 2.

- Got to recruit a top 25 players to get to a Final 4: top 25 recruits on all 4 Final 4 rosters - 2017 #19 Josh Langford (injured out for the season in December). That's it. The next highest rated recruit on any Final 4 roster is #31 Cassius Winston (2016).

A lot of the time, experience does win out. K hasn't lit the world on fire with his one and dones, and neither has Calipari.

Except Austin Wiley was #17 on ESPN

Austin Wiley is rated #35 on 247. Also, he played very little role in Auburn's success this year as he averaged 13 minutes a game

Small sample size in single elimination tournaments makes conclusions difficult to draw. Sure duke and UK didn’t win it this year but have won it like what, three times in 9 or 19 years? Izzo hasn’t won it since 2000.

Totally agree. The point is that there is not way one to win.

Also, Izzo has been to 8 Final 4s in 24 years. Duke has been in one and done over drive only in the last 5 years, and K has not taken a team to the Final 4 since 2015, and has been to one Final 4 since 2010. Kentucky has been to one Final 4 since winning the title in 2012.

Small sample size in single elimination tournaments makes conclusions difficult to draw. Sure duke and UK didn’t win it this year but have won it like what, three times in 9 or 19 years? Izzo hasn’t won it since 2000.

Duke didn't have any one-and-dones in 2010. That started up the next year with Kyrie.

Kentucky 2012 and Duke 2015 both were "one-and-done winners" but both had vets playing key roles -- 3 of Ky's top 6 scorers were non-frosh and senior Quinn Cook was Duke's second-leading scorer and played 36 mins/game. Granted, the freshmen took over for Duke in the title game, but they had veteran help to get there

That's not what you said...

Exactly what I said ("247 rankings" where he was ranked #35)...

The fact that you had to grasp to dig up Auburn's 8th man who found his way in the top 25 in one ranking service three years ago underscores the point that top 25 recruits were not a factor on any team reaching the Final 4 this year. Thanks for helping.

Back