• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

All non-wake fans I have talked to think that Amaker would be a good get.

I admit that with names like Matta, Beilein, and even Forbes in the picture, Amaker seems like a bad hire.

Amaker would be a better hire than Kelsey/Miller/Odom.

The rest of the ACC would be thrilled if we hired Amaker.

I think we'll only know whether Miller will be the next Wake coach when he is or isn't announced as the next Wake coach.

Anyone who says they prefer Manning over any of the candidates listed is a goddamn idiot.

I trust Currie is going to get the best candidate we can get this cycle based on whatever limitations we may or may not have. And we’re not going to be better positioned next year.

The issue is what he deems to be the best candidate versus what everyone else thinks. It should be borderline impossible for him not to be able to hire one of Forbes, Miller, or Kelsey. They are all coaching at a much smaller level. If Currie hires Amaker it is not because he couldn't get the others. He felt an emotionless mediocre coach was what Wake needs after 10 years of emotionless below average coaching.

I admit that with names like Matta, Beilein, and even Forbes in the picture, Amaker seems like a bad hire.

I could not disagree with this more, and this is coming from someone who doesn't want to hire Kelsey, Miller or Odom. At least those three have potentially much higher ceilings than Amaker. We know what Amaker gets us, eventually middle of the pack ACC team that gets into the NCAA once every 4-5 years and might make the round of 32 but that's as good as it gets.

Read my post. It was true. Hope it’s not anymore. We should be begging Miller. I have no contradictory info about Miller.

Many of you all are classic 2020 readers. Read one headline and 3 folks later it’s contorted all to hell. Fake news folks. Bernie voters.

Bring back politics!

I think we'll only know whether Miller will be the next Wake coach when he is or isn't announced as the next Wake coach.

Agree with this. I have no doubt everyone is reporting exactly what they are told. This is an ACC coaching source. All of those reporters�and me�are being used to spread all kinds of false narratives to support whatever agenda the tipper supports.

Smokescreen?? From Greensboro source:

John Beilein was on the Wake Forest campus on Monday and he was seen standing six feet away from one of the main buildings…Beilein has a strong NCAA college basketball pedigree, and he just finished a short stint coaching the Cleveland Cavaliers, of the NBA….

But have been hearing from many of the media types, both from print and radio, that Beilein is not a candidate at all, for this Wake Forest men’s basketball job…

Very interesting…There might be a smokescreen being laid out…Most of the radio shows were saying he(Beilein) was not a candidate…This will get interesting…

The "Greensboro Source" is a dumbass who supported Buzz, Wellman and Manning repeatedly on the Wake Forest Sports Facebook page. He is a wannabe insider. Ignore.

If they're investigating the murder of our basketball program, they're in the wrong place!

Little Coach Bzzzzzzz was long ago convicted of this crime. No need to investigate further although, for some odd reason, the murder rate has continued to grow over the past few years.

Put me in the "Hatch gives this approximately 15 seconds of attention per day' camp. He's the CEO of a fairly big company, and athletics is a very small piece of the business. He is overseeing dozens of departments and colleges and deans, all of which have big problems right now. I'm sure he discussed "show stoppers" with Currie before he started interviewing people, and probably gets a daily email update on where the search stands. When it's time to make a call, he will join in a one hour discussion to discuss the finalists and to approve financial terms. But in the middle of this, there's no way Hatch simultaneously a) hates sports and wants to move us to NAIA and b) invests tons of time interfering with a hiring process.

My stance is that with Kelsey or Miller, our fanbase would at least have something to get excited about. With Amaker, we would likely know exactly where he would take us. If Amaker comes, he would likely do just well enough to be able to stay for many years. All wake fans would lose interest. If Kelsey or Miller work out, they would have a much higher ceiling IMO.

To summarize, KVegas believes Currie is going somewhere today, either by car or by plane. He speculates that is where our next coach is. Although KVegas could be wrong and Currie could just be going to conduct an interview.

Back