• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Les has different info. on who the leaders are at this juncture. Amaker wasn’t mentioned. The after action report on who had the best sources are going to be interesting.

I remember Goodman nailing the Bzzz hire over others much to the chagrin of everyone at the time. That was terrible.

So the only person who "a source" has confirmed is "NOT IT" at this point is Kelsey?

Put me in the "Hatch gives this approximately 15 seconds of attention per day' camp. He's the CEO of a fairly big company, and athletics is a very small piece of the business. He is overseeing dozens of departments and colleges and deans, all of which have big problems right now. I'm sure he discussed "show stoppers" with Currie before he started interviewing people, and probably gets a daily email update on where the search stands. When it's time to make a call, he will join in a one hour discussion to discuss the finalists and to approve financial terms. But in the middle of this, there's no way Hatch simultaneously a) hates sports and wants to move us to NAIA and b) invests tons of time interfering with a hiring process.

Maybe the first time I've ever 100% agreed with Diggler on a topic.

I mean, Coach K is competing for the same athletes as Calipari and Cal outright deemphasizes academics publicly. Yet, Coach K still gets his share of great one-and-done players.

Being the basketball coach isn't about academics if your team is competing at the highest level. It's about keeping them eligible for two years.

Now, role players and developmental players, yeah, you need to make sure they're not going to flunk out before you offer them.

Tier 2 source telling me:

Kelsey or Amaker will be announced Friday

Wes was indifferent

Forbes wasn't our guy from an academic side. He definitely would have taken job.

giphy.gif

Alright here’s on for everyone.

Would you prefer Amaker or Ryan Odom?

Amaker or Mark Prosser?

Mark Prosser for Ryan Odom?

Kelsey or Miller?

Matta or Beilein?

Odom
Prosser
Prosser
Miller
Beilein

Would rather have Odom or Prosser than Amaker. They are young with upside at least. Western Carolina is thrilled to have Prosser. Amaker is known mediocrity with no personality. Well on his way to being Bzzz/Manning pt 3. You can see the writing in the wall with him.

So we're not highering Forbes due to academics, yet Duke, a school that is ranked much higher than ours, is able to recruit anyone they want? Is Matta out officially? I'd be indifferent with Kelsey but an Amaker hire will ensure Wake remains irrelevant for years to come.

I can't speak for dr's sources, but Miller has told his team he will be returning. So at that moment in time, he was not going to be Wake's next coach. If the situation has changed, I don't know (and that would probably be more on the level of dr's contacts than mine).

If DR says something about Miller, believe him.

Apparently, Currie found Forbes communication style off putting and slightly threatening when Forbes yelled at him to never ask him about academics ever again.

LOL.

Forbes is not our guy due to "academics."

But he was maybe our guy due to WINNING.

We will ace academics and community engagement, and win 15-19 games (NIT) per year with Amaker. Cool.

When I said JEFF VAN GUNDY, I actually meant STAN VAN GUNDY.

Stan is still only 60.

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
Still no change for me as far as the Wake Forest situation is concerned. Steve Forbes and Wes Miller remain two leaders in the clubhouse, per source.
5:37 PM · Apr 28, 2020·

Back