• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

If Matta wants the job, this is case closed, right? Every other name posited in this thread, with the exception of Bielein, is a far-distant second choice.

Damnit. Les getting Kelsey vibes.

We all know how this goes. First the AD puts out feelers for this, then the DC illuminati are instructed to start preaching his praises.

Kelsey doing well in his interview (As everyone expected) and getting the offer are completely different level of vibes.

FFS, no to Kelsey. Just no. Clean slate. Need a new perspective, not a continuation of what hasn’t worked before.

Kelsey doing well in his interview (As everyone expected) and getting the offer are completely different level of vibes.

Kelsey probably interviewed better than any of the other candidates especially after Manning and Bz catatonic conversations for a decade.

Apparently Turner was never in real consideration. Per Les.

I mean, who wouldn't be surprised that Kelsey interviewed well? The guy has charisma and is energetic. I wouldn't be shocked that a source told Les that. Although, he might have wowed Currie enough. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Skip worked before.

Look, Skip was a great guy and beloved, and his tenure looks tremendous compared to the last 10 years. But he made 1 sweet 16, 0 ACC championships, and was 3-13 and 5-11 in the ACC his last two years. Let’s not pretend he was John Wooden.

I like Kelsey, but I'd put him at 4th at best behind Matta, Fobes and Turner. We all know how this goes though, so it will probably be Kelsey or Odom.

I mean, who wouldn't be surprised that Kelsey interviewed well? The guy has charisma and is energetic. I wouldn't be shocked that a source told Les that. Although, he might have wowed Currie enough. I guess we will find out soon enough.

The qualities that Pat would bring which we need would translate best in an interview. Now whether that translates to success on the court at this level is absolutely no guarantee. He would do wonders with student and fan support however. The thing is that winning also does that.

Makes sense that the process would go quickly since Currie has presumably had weeks or months to do background on candidates. Obviously makes sense to interview everyone but it would certainly seem like he’d come into this with a #1 candidate and be prepared to wrap up a deal quickly.

Look, Skip was a great guy and beloved, and his tenure looks tremendous compared to the last 10 years. But he made 1 sweet 16, 0 ACC championships, and was 3-13 and 5-11 in the ACC his last two years. Let’s not pretend he was John Wooden.

We all loved Skip because he had great charisma and was not afraid to go head to head with K, Roy and the like. Yes, he swung for the fences and missed a good number of times. But he had us in the national conversation for many years and recruited two teams that reached #1 in the nation.

How much money he demanded.

Money not being an issue is a term that is relative. Can we afford to pay Matta or Beilein $3-5M?years? Yes.

Would we want to pay a 67 yo coach $5M or $4M? Maybe not.

Just to clarify: We can afford any coach we want. We only want coaches who want the amount of money we want to pay. Ok.

Back