• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

I'm way over the motorcycle. Was ok for a little while but like Wellman and Manning, here way too long. Completely cool with bringing it out once a year (or other year, or whatever it is now) when K comes to Winston. Fuck him. In fact, it would be awesome if we made a thing about bringing it out just for him.

For football, we need a mascot that looks like statue out front. Put his ass on horseback and let him race across the field like a circuit preacher with his demon ass on fire. That would be awesome.

ETA: Actually, Manning should have never been here. So in that case, the motorcycle was better than Manning and for a longer time. But point remains.

I don’t think you understand, the Deacon rides a motorcycle. That’s what he does.

Having Currie and the optimism in me says we will get Forbes or Matta, the LOWF in me says we will get Odom or Kelsey.

If you are watching the ACCN right now and watched the player intro from that night I would argue that the tye dyes and motorcycle are a quadrillion times better than anything we have seen in the Joel in the past decade. If you missed it YouTube it. My son who is a current student shows it to his friends and none of them can believe our home court and students used to be that alive.

Meh. If we have a rocking team, people will be hyped. I did catch most of the second half and it was was great to see the Joel like that. Amazing talent we had on that team and yet Gaudio almost still coughed it up at the end as we blew a big lead in the second half.

I spoke with a good friend tonight. We have a very good mutual friend who is a blue hair and has given MAJOR money to WFU athletics. We're talking hundreds of thousands if not millions. She's a wonderful person. I know she's a major contributor.

She indicated that Matta has definitely been in the discussion for head coach with Currie. Whether this ends up in our favor? I have absolutely no idea. I don't have this kind of money nor access.
Just passing along what I'm hearing.

Matta, Forbes, Kelsey.

I actually think Kelsey could be a good coach. Will take him a while but I could see him being really good with some time.

I agree with this. People are hating on the idea of Kelsey but I don’t get it. He would bring a ton of energy, and is a very good coach. He would be able to bring in some high quality recruits, especially if he was able to go and find himself a good coaching staff. I really hope if either Forbes Miller or Kelsey are hired, they would be willing to let the guys on their current staffs go, and try and find guys that are better for Wake, and ACC basketball. Some of those guys don’t look like they have much to offer.

I think Forbes is a winner. Also, I think he could shake things up a bit. If we don't want to be the conference doormat, lowf anymore, then he's our guy. Dude doesn't take shit of anybody. Would be a refreshing change. Maybe we could not be such a snooty place. Would maybe interest some fans other than the handful of blue hairs we have at games now.

Bobby K?

Wake Forest's short list of coaches from Barstool Sports Article:

Pat Kelsey (Winthrop)

Wes Miller (UNC-Greensboro)

Steve Forbes (ETSU)

Randolph Childress (Wake assistant)

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/2362149/wake-forest-making-sure-people-know-john-beilein-isnt-on-their-coaching-search-is-exactly-how-you-control-the-story-before-the-story-controls-you

The guy who runs barstool sports travels the country rating pizza slices. He's also a giant douche. Not exactly a connected website.

I spoke with a good friend tonight. We have a very good mutual friend who is a blue hair and has given MAJOR money to WFU athletics. We're talking hundreds of thousands if not millions. She's a wonderful person. I know she's a major contributor.

She indicated that Matta has definitely been in the discussion for head coach with Currie. Whether this ends up in our favor? I have absolutely no idea. I don't have this kind of money nor access.
Just passing along what I'm hearing.

I would hope Currie is considering Matta. He’d be negligent not to consider him. If he can resolve the red flags and come to other arrangements, great. None of us is positioned to know what Matta’s state of mind is or what his physical health is. I’d trust Currie to do his due diligence on this if he’s the guy.

This is wrong.

He’s wrong aboutRandolph Childress. No way that dude is the head coach.

He’s also wrong about the administration trying to control the narrative.

But let’s say you’re right about the contract, that it’s somewhere in the 7-10 million range. That’s still a helluva lot of money that Wake is going to have a hard time paying for right now. It would have been difficult to lure in Beilein, especially if he feels satisfied where he is. I was one of the first ones to be high on Beilein, but if he’s not willing to get paid a little less than he’s worth, we should move on to other candidates. There are other guys out there who could be in that “home run hire” tier. Matta is one of them. I didn’t think he was going to be a legitimate option, but it sounds like he’s going to be.

Last edited:
Wake Forest's short list of coaches from Barstool Sports Article:

Pat Kelsey (Winthrop)

Wes Miller (UNC-Greensboro)

Steve Forbes (ETSU)

Randolph Childress (Wake assistant)

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/2362149/wake-forest-making-sure-people-know-john-beilein-isnt-on-their-coaching-search-is-exactly-how-you-control-the-story-before-the-story-controls-you

What a dumb story. The big reason he won�t come is that his experience is at football schools, where he has time to develop his players / program. Then he says wake should pick Miller and give him time to develop 🤪

Back