• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Disco Dan article on Coach Manning

Reaction score
I thought a couple of the quotes were interesting. Seems he is going to demand a lot from his team and make them adjust to him. Probably a much needed change in approach

“In the big picture, yes this is all business. But when you step out on the court, I want to challenge, I want to prod, I want to push, I want to (peeve) you off, I want to push buttons of the guys on our team. And basically I want to get them out of their comfort zone and I want to expand it — and you do it on the practice court.

“No, they’re going to adapt to me.” Manning said. “(It’s going to be), ‘This is how we’re going to do it. We’ll show you how. We’ll show you why. We’ll show you when we do it. This is what we do. This is how we’re going to play. It does no good for you to fight it. This is how it is.’”

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_6b2b4bde-b0aa-5cf5-803f-a45b9ef22a08.html

Manning understands it’s the coach who sets the vision for the program. And even though he doesn’t have a complete grip on the overall talent level on hand, he does know exactly how he wants his team to play.

Finally.

He has impeccable basketball credentials. Let's now see if he can coach. I certainly hope so. The last four years were beyond miserable.

Good article. Love the attitude Coach Manning is bringing to the program.

I've got a MAnning crush on our coach.

"“Up tempo, aggressive,” Manning explained. “We’re going to be smart, but for the most part we want to be a team that defensively we’re disruptive, that we’re a disruptive defensive team. Honestly, we want to allow one contested shot and then we want to get the ball up in transition; we want to push the ball in transition."

This quote sounds like he might use Tree's D more next year.

"It does you no good to fight it. This is how it is."

A far cry from "tell me how to make you a better player."

Wellman, you are such a complete and total asshole.

Last edited:
Up tempo and aggressive in transition. Sounds like that fits CMM's strengths pretty well. I'm expecting a big season from Codi.

Up tempo and aggressive in transition. Sounds like that fits CMM's strengths pretty well. I'm expecting a big season from Codi.

if maning is half the big man coach we've been told to expect, i'm expecting a big one from thomas

Ha, he completely sidestepped the talent level question.

And that's the rub. I mean, I like what I hear and read, but without more needed defections, we can only be but so competitive for the next 2-3 years. Maybe longer. But if he could talk Watson and 1 of the sophs into self selecting out of Wake, and turn around and replace them with a couple of 4*s, then he'll have a better chance to make the tourney in his 2nd year and then reload with a great class to replace the current sophs.

MTOW: Skip (Prosser) used to always say that the teams with the most NBA players win. Is it the Kentucky model or the Butler model?

DM: I think it’s a fine line between the two, to be honest with you. The type of young men we’re going to bring in here, yeah we want to bring in pros. No question about it. We also want to bring in the other as well. I’ll put it this way. I think your team, for the most part, is as good as your veterans will allow you to be. And veterans to me are upperclassmen. You’ve got your teams like the Kentuckys. People don’t give (John) Calipari the respect he deserves in taking a group of young players on a continuous basis and getting them to the level he gets them to play at every year. That doesn’t happen all the time. But to me, I go back to my professional days. People talk about `You’ve got this player coming in who’s this’ and `You’ve got this player coming in who’s this,’ but you’re only as good as your veterans allow you because veterans are the backbone of all professional sports teams and they’re the backbone of all collegiate teams, to be honest with you, because, even though they might not get the recognition that some of the younger players are getting, they still help create and set your culture. And that’s a funny analogy because professionally, at the end of my career, that’s what I was – and enjoyed it.

Also, Manning's "No, they're going to adapt to me" line is even better when you read the context of Disco Dan's question, which looks like Dan was trying to give DM a softball-y opportunity to equivocate and toss out neutral platitudes:

MTOW: Are you going to wait to assess the talent to determine exactly which way you want to play this year?

DM: No, they’re going to adapt to me. `This is how we’re going to do it. We’ll show you how. We’ll show you why. We’ll show when we do it. This is what we do. This is how we’re going to play. It does no good for you to fight it. This is how it is.’’

I've been lukewarm about Manning to date, but his responses/answers there were really impressive. I love that he has a vision of where he wants to take Wake basketball and knows the path he wants to take in order to get there.

Back