• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker |

Don't think Jones was pushed out, but we will find out when he picks his landing spot. If DJ ends up at a Power V program, this is tampering. If its Group of Six, he was pushed out. FWIW, given CB is the area of biggest need, hard to imagine a scenario where WF would push Jones out.

Why do you assume he was pushed out the door?
It was in reference to the comment I was replying to. If the staff had found someone else in the portal, then they would have needed to find an open scholarship as well. I don’t believe he would be one of the players they would force out to bring someone in.

Don't think Jones was pushed out, but we will find out when he picks his landing spot. If DJ ends up at a Power V program, this is tampering. If its Group of Six, he was pushed out. FWIW, given CB is the area of biggest need, hard to imagine a scenario where WF would push Jones out.
This!! ☝️

guaranteed minutes, really good numbers, probably a starter again, and I'm sure RTQ offered money to stay. . . . . feels like tampering, and someone came and picked off our starter, some other team with a shallow DB room.

We are certainly still in the negative for DB depth. . . .

I really do hope I am wrong about this.

My hope is that he saw the writing on the wall and was going to have a reduced role this year. Jones, even though he led the team in INTs last year, was by far our worst cover corner, and was constantly picked on over the last two seasons (The Clemson OT game really exposed him). IIRC, most of his INT's were on overthrows or when we were in zone.

Had no idea we played Clemson in Japan in the 80's. Does anyone have the backstory here? Just really curious now.
For several years in the 80s, Japan had something known as the Mirage Bowl, which pitted two US college teams against each other. Wake athletic program was cash strapped at the time (we used to sell home conference games occasionally), so we provided our home game against Clemson to be played in Japan. That was the year after the infamous 82-24 game, and we played them close and had a chance to win the game losing 21-17. I remember listening to this game on the radio.

This actually followed up a 1974 trip to Japan where wake played some japanese college all-star teams.

Last edited:
Peyton Manning will be the first major speaker on campus during the 2024-25 academic year. Maybe he can come early or stick around for a few days to help out with the QBs and the offense. :)

The 2024-25 Face to Face Speaker Forum season will feature:

Peyton Manning – The NFL’s only five-time MVP, Hall of Fame Quarterback, and two-time Super Bowl Champion, Manning supports various organizations including the PeyBack Foundation and the Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital. In 2020, he founded the Emmy Award-winning company, Omaha Productions.
(September 11, 2024, LJVM Coliseum)

Back