• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIT 2024: Next in a Long Line of Basketball Disappointments

This is how I recall it. Green and Karasek were freshmen in 83-83, then Green played a big role on the 1984 Elite Eight team as a sophomore. He was 2nd team All ACC. We struggled after Teachey and Young graduated. Green was the number 1 option and made 2nd team All ACC again. He went pro and was drafted in the first round by the Bullets.
Tacy resigned that summer. We tried to hire Gary Williams but he wouldn’t leave BC. We ended up with Staak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't realize we went after Sweaty Gary.

This is how I recall it. Green and Karasek were freshmen in 83-83, then Green played a big role on the 1984 Elite Eight team as a sophomore. He was 2nd team All ACC. We struggled after Teachey and Young graduated. Green was the number 1 option and made 2nd team All ACC again. He went pro and was drafted in the first round by the Bullets.
Tacy resigned that summer. We tried to hire Gary Williams but he wouldn’t leave BC. We ended up with Staak.

That's pretty much how I remember it.

Teachey and Young were so great!

That's pretty much how I remember it.

Teachey and Young were so great!

That team is way underrated. They didn’t really have any star players but were a great team. And could have been greater if Todd May had been able to play.
PG- Danny Young
SG-Delaney Rudd
C- Anthony Teachey
PF- Kenny Green
SF- Todd May

Mark Cline, Muggsy Bogues, John Toms and Lee Garber off the bench

That team is way underrated. They didn’t really have any star players but were a great team. And could have been greater if Todd May had been able to play.
PG- Danny Young
SG-Delaney Rudd
C- Anthony Teachey
PF- Kenny Green
SF- Todd May

Todd May used to sleep through Philosophy class and rarely brought a writing implement to class. Borrowed a boatload of pencils from me that semester. 🤣

Objectively is slowly becoming the new literally.

That statement is 100% subjective, it's the exact opposite of objective.

What I mean is according to the entire world of basketball ranking/drafting/evaluation professionals for individual NBA prospecting, along with the entire ACC collegiate evaluators that ranked us where they did in the preseason, Duke and UNC were obviously more talented and Clemson was arguably more talented.

It's subjective as a Wake fan to argue something ridiculous like Boopie being "more talented" than McCain or Sallis deserving POY or PJ Hall being worse than Reid. Objective in this context means outside of the Wake-centric view (either positive or negative).

PG- Danny Young
SG-Delaney Rudd
C- Anthony Teachey
PF- Kenny Green
SF- Todd May

Young, Rudd, Green and Bogues all played in the NBA. That's strong.

Somebody remind me of the Todd May story— recollect a ballyhooed transfer from Kentucky — did he ever actually play for us?

This reminds me of sitting next to Tate Decker when he transferred in. Sat next to him in Brit Lit. He used to spin a basketball in class. Good times.

Todd May was a HS All-American from KY; Mr. Kentucky Basketball. Subject to a big recruiting battle, May committed to UK, and he was a small town kid (PIkeville), and never felt comfortable at KY (I remember May would wear blue jean overalls almost everyday - he was as country as you can get). May transferred to WF mid-season of his freshman year. He apparently was just killing it in pre-season scrimmages at WF, but then broke his foot before his first season at WF. May was slow to recover. Ultimately, he transferred back to Pikeville College and scored a zillion points in NAIA.

Here are some quotes about Todd May:

Before John Pelphrey and Richie Farmer went from Eastern Kentucky high school basketball legends to Kentucky Wildcats icons, May seemed headed for that destiny. "The perfect body for a basketball player," former Kentucky coach Joe B. Hall says of May. "Absolutely great hands. Could shoot with either hand as well as any big man I ever recruited. His potential, I thought there was no ceiling to what he could do."

"Todd May could do more things with the basketball than I could," Kentucky All-American Kenny Walker, a Todd May teammate said. "He could shoot with either hand. He could shoot from the outside. He had a feel for the game. I think I was ahead of him athletically, but I had the utmost respect for Todd May." Off the floor, May's transition from rural Pike County to massive state university was not easy. "He was shy, but I don't know that he was any shyer than I was," said Walker, a product of small-town Roberta, Ga. "But my teammates sort of looked after me, and I'd go places with them. We couldn't get Todd to go anywhere with us."

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mark-story/article44120244.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Todd May. Another name on the "Oh what could have been" roster.

What I mean is according to the entire world of basketball ranking/drafting/evaluation professionals for individual NBA prospecting, along with the entire ACC collegiate evaluators that ranked us where they did in the preseason, Duke and UNC were obviously more talented and Clemson was arguably more talented.

It's subjective as a Wake fan to argue something ridiculous like Boopie being "more talented" than McCain or Sallis deserving POY or PJ Hall being worse than Reid. Objective in this context means outside of the Wake-centric view (either positive or negative).
There's no such thing as objective for one group of people and subjective for another. You could say it was the consensus opinion outside of wake fans but it's still an opinion which makes it subjective.

Besides it isn't even true that only Wake fans thought we might have more talent in our top 5, announcers all year were saying we had possibly the most talented starting 5 in the ACC. As a team they certainly choked when it mattered and didn't play up to that talent as a unit, but to say the other teams were just more talented and we never stood a chance just isn't true.

We beat Duke and Clemson this year and our bench contributed 13 points across those two games compared to the other team's 29, the other team's starters effectively had a 16 point head start across those two games and we won them both anyway, but their starters are objectively more talented than ours?

Todd May. Another name on the "Oh what could have been" roster.
Yeah, and I recall Cline being the starting SF on those teams. Cline had a nice game too. And I thought Tacy was a good tactician, but the word on him was he had poor interpersonal skills. I was talking to a guy here locally who chose UVA over Wake largely because his phone calls with Tacy were so awkward compared to his interactions with Holland.

I attended 4 of Coach Tacy's basketball camps. Seemed like a good man. I thought he was a very good basketball coach.

Yeah, and I recall Cline being the starting SF on those teams. Cline had a nice game too. And I thought Tacy was a good tactician, but the word on him was he had poor interpersonal skills. I was talking to a guy here locally who chose UVA over Wake largely because his phone calls with Tacy were so awkward compared to his interactions with Holland.
Cline and May were really good friends and that was a big reason why May transferred to Wake. Cline was a really good shooter and would have been a bigger scorer with the 3 point line being in effect for his whole career.
I don't know about his interpersonal skills but Tacy was good at finding overlooked players and making them great- Skip Brown, Rod Griffin, Jerry Shellenberg, Anthony Teachey, Danny Young, Delaney Rudd, etc.

Maybe already mentioned on this thread, but didn't Childress get the flu right before the '95 elite 8 game versus OSU and 'Big Country'? I feel like he had a 3 to tie the game in the waning moments, hit the front of the rim. He was totally gassed. Anyone else remember this?
we lost by 5.

Maybe already mentioned on this thread, but didn't Childress get the flu right before the '95 elite 8 game versus OSU and 'Big Country'? I feel like he had a 3 to tie the game in the waning moments, hit the front of the rim. He was totally gassed. Anyone else remember this?
we lost by 5.
He did. But it was in the Sweet Sixteen not the Elite 8. I really thought that we were going to the Final Four that year. If we had gotten by OSU we would have beaten UMass.

Back