• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama's "Truth Team" Explains "You Didn't Build That"

Are you that dense?

The First Amendment tells us what Congress cannot do. That is a restriction.

Beyond that laws by their basic nature exist to distinguish between what people want to do and what they should not do in the best interest of the larger society. Restrictions. That's why the First Amendment has to lay out which freedoms are to be protected because laws exist to restrict freedoms. If laws by their very nature didn't restrict freedoms, we wouldn't have to lead off the Constitution by stating which freedoms laws should not restrict.

I'm actually not that dense. You said all laws restrict individual freedoms. This law restricts institutional freedom. Which, is a little bit different in my opinion. Of course, the argument could be made that these institutions are simply a collection of individuals, and therefore the laws still restrict individual freedom. But if that were the case, you'd have a real tough time rebutting the assertion that corporations aren't people.

Ah. Laws restrict freedoms. Laws that target individuals restrict individual freedoms. Laws that target institutions restrict institutional freedoms.

Which laws do libertarians support?

Ah. Laws restrict freedoms. Laws that target individuals restrict individual freedoms. Laws that target institutions restrict institutional freedoms.

Which laws do libertarians support?

I'm not a libertarian. You'd have to ask them. If I were to guess, I'd think they'd agree with Ronald Reagan, "man's age old dream - the maximum of individual freedom consistent with order".

I think they'd support laws that restrict the capacity of the institutions of government to themselves restrict the freedom of individuals. And I don't think that's an inconsistency in their views.

Last edited:
tumblr_m7brakFk3h1rbxfido1_400.jpg

Government people make you successful and therefore government people should take half of what you earn and use it to buy more power for government people. The leader of the "free" world apparently believes this garbage, but such thinking will of course result in less success for everyone and more powerful apparatchiks perverting the Constitution until there is no freedom left for anyone except apparatchiks.

You're such a clown. You seem not to realize that "government people" aren't exempt from the laws you're talking about or paying taxes. And due to massive constraints on the contracting process, their ability to influence processes is greatly prevented. Unless you're talking about the tiny minority of government executives/political appointees who will always find methods to circumvent the rules. And to that extent, great job focusing on a tiny minority. But kudos on your pathological obsession on using the word "apparatchik."

I'm convinced DODO has "apparatchik" on a post-it note on his monitor so he remembers to use it in every post.

You're such a clown. You seem not to realize that "government people" aren't exempt from the laws you're talking about or paying taxes. And due to massive constraints on the contracting process, their ability to influence processes is greatly prevented. Unless you're talking about the tiny minority of government executives/political appointees who will always find methods to circumvent the rules. And to that extent, great job focusing on a tiny minority. But kudos on your pathological obsession on using the word "apparatchik."

You sound like an apparatchik. If you were honorably employed you probably would not hate your fucking boss.

But what laws to libertarians support?

As illustrations rather than a complete summary of libertarian philosophy, I submit that libertarians would support laws that protect individual freedoms, such a criminal restrictions against harming others -- murder, rape, assault, etc. Libertarians would also support laws that protect individual property rights -- real property (trespassing limitations), intellectual property (patent), etc.

You sound like an apparatchik. If you were honorably employed you probably would not hate your fucking boss.

When treading in ignorance, tread lightly. If we get into what people sound like, the term "asshole" is going to come up in connection with your name.

As illustrations rather than a complete summary of libertarian philosophy, I submit that libertarians would support laws that protect individual freedoms, such a criminal restrictions against harming others -- murder, rape, assault, etc. Libertarians would also support laws that protect individual property rights -- real property (trespassing limitations), intellectual property (patent), etc.

but they don't support things like the civil rights of a customer not to be denied service because of his/her race.

When treading in ignorance, tread lightly. If we get into what people sound like, the term "asshole" is going to come up in connection with your name.

Actually, I think "fuckface" would come up before "asshole."

If you can't think of anything, just start calling me names, 94asswipe.

Uh, I already did. Might I suggest adding some tags like "94=dootyhead" or anything else you might've picked up watching Sesame Street this morning? Or do you also avoid apparatchik television for fear they might show moose and squirrel with hammer and sickle?

Back