• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '15-16 NBA Season Thread: THEY WON ONE FOR THE LAND

The laugh is on you. It's not about overreacting to an off year by Green. It's getting a player who is as good now AND clearing $11M from their cap. Valentine is as good a 3 point shooter as Green, a better passer, a better rebounder and an excellent defender as well as being a superior leader. He can also play PG which will be a need very shortly.

The laugh is on you for thinking so superficially.

Why do you say silly things like this? Impossible to know. Danny is a career 40% 3pt shooter in the NBA. Valentine's best college season was 44%, but impossible to know how that will translate into the NBA, especially in his first couple of years (Danny went from shooting 42% in his senior season to shooting 27% in his rookie season).

Valentine has appeared to shoot a lot of long threes. He's also six years younger and will be $9-10M cheaper/year. He can play more positions that Green.

Valentine has appeared to shoot a lot of long threes. He's also six years younger and will be $9-10M cheaper/year. He can play more positions that Green.

I'll agree he has the potential to be better, but I think the Spurs would rather have the bird in the hand right now. They have won a lot of games with Green in their starting line-up. If Aldridge was a couple of years younger it might be a different story, but feels like their window with him is relatively short.

Valentine doesn't have near as the level of athleticism of Green. ^completely laughable.

I'll agree he has the potential to be better, but I think the Spurs would rather have the bird in the hand right now. They have won a lot of games with Green in their starting line-up. If Aldridge was a couple of years younger it might be a different story, but feels like their window with him is relatively short.

I think it's other way around. They are trying to set up for the success to continue. If you can have a 24 yo Kawhi with a 22yo Valentine, it's starting to look like the backbone of the next generation. It's also not like Valentine is frosh or soph. He's ready to play now.

And they can use the $9-10M to go towards Durant (no it's not the full amount, but is a huge chunk) or another player to fit in with Aldridge and Kawhi. Maybe they could take a short term flyer on Noah being healthy.

In essence, they get a player with much more upside, who is ready to play and at least one more good player. It would give them a lot of options.

For comparison, George Hill was a bench player in his 3rd season with the Spurs when they traded him to get Kawhi.

Green is in his 5th full season with the Spurs and has started almost every game the last four years.

There's a reason why the Spurs keep winning and most other franchises struggle to keep up. #gospursgo?!?!

There's a reason why the Spurs keep winning and most other franchises struggle to keep up. #gospursgo?!?!

They make moves like this to get versatile, multi-talented, underrated players.

Funny thing is what you guys are saying is what people were saying when the Spurs traded George Hill (who scoring more, improving and was younger) for the rights to select a college player who wasn't as accomplished as Valentine is.

You guys are also forgetting a key aspect of the trade....freeing up about $10M in cap space towards getting another player. With minor tweaks, they could get a max or close to max player as well.

Last edited:
Don't feel like rj is way off base on the general idea - Spurs sell high, buy low for most of their role players.

Whoops. I totally thought you guys were comparing Draymond green to Valentine. I guess I linked the two together based on the Michigan state connection. Nevermind then

Don't feel like rj is way off base on the general idea - Spurs sell high, buy low for most of their role players.

Plus on this one, they get a player who could easily be as good or better while being much younger AND the ability another star player to their team. In effect from July of last year to July of this year, they could have completely restocked their Big 3 and gotten much younger.

Trading Green for Valentine would be selling low and buying high.

Meh, just like one season doesn't kill Green's value in the Spurs eyes, I think other GMs are going to overreact to one year either.

And how is it buying high?

Meh, just like one season doesn't kill Green's value in the Spurs eyes, I think other GMs are going to overreact to one year either.

And how is it buying high?

So how is trading Green after his PER dropped from 16.5 to 10.5 selling high?

Trading for a college senior with plenty of accolades like Valentine is definitely buying high compared to trading for an unknown like Kawhi.

Danny Green + a 1st is way too high of a price for Valentine. Kawhi actually slid on draft day to get to 15, and they didn't even give up a 1st... just George Hill. 15 is the moon for Valentine and could feasibly fall in Spurs range without a trade.

Danny Green + a 1st is way too high of a price for Valentine. Kawhi actually slid on draft day to get to 15, and they didn't even give up a 1st... just George Hill. 15 is the moon for Valentine and could feasibly fall in Spurs range without a trade.

Hell, Danny Green himself was a mid-2nd round pick. If the Spurs aren't sold on Green going forward (which I doubt) and don't like their chances with a free agent (which is likely), they'll drop a good college with their pick and see if they can bring him along enough to start in his 2nd season.

That's not the entire deal....they will use the extra cap money to get a star player. It will be Green for Valentine and max or close max player. Players want to come to the Spurs.

Back