• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: not with a bang but a whimper

idk man, i don't feel like it's all that interesting and i feel like the same points and posts are repeated constantly. i don't think it's all that complicated.

like hinkie's manifesto, it was ridiculously pretentious while also being completely banal

I loved the manifesto. Thought there was incredibly useful stuff in there for people in any business. I re-read it regularly.

like moneyball, the book, was the most interesting sports story i'd read. that was real identifying of market inefficiencies and disruption in many ways of 100 year-old wisdom... in scouting, in team building, in strategy, in every way almost.

the hinkie story is just a guy really good at asset accumulation, not in any really innovative or creative ways other than no concern for the immediate future and targeting suckers like the kings.

like moneyball, the book, was the most interesting sports story i'd read. that was real identifying of market inefficiencies and disruption in many ways of 100 year-old wisdom... in scouting, in team building, in strategy, in every way almost.

the hinkie story is just a guy really good at asset accumulation, not in any really innovative or creative ways other than no concern for the immediate future and targeting suckers like the kings.

I'd question how good he was at asset collection/valuing those assets.

idk man, i don't feel like it's all that interesting and i feel like the same points and posts are repeated constantly. i don't think it's all that complicated.

like hinkie's manifesto, it was ridiculously pretentious while also being completely banal

for it not being interesting you sure do need to have your voice heard about it

for it not being interesting you sure do need to have your voice heard about it

bruh you don't even know i let out audible sighs every time i see this shit on here. i'm sorry, i haven't even posted on here in a while because that's all that's been talked about. i had nba chat withdrawal and i guess this is all we're allowed to talk about.

also, i've been annyoed by all the #Processing i've seen lately and once you post one thing we have to talk about the hornets sucking and how great the 2019 draft is and embiid on-off ratings, etc

-The fleecing of the Magic, gambling that they were all in for Elfrid after taking Aaron Gordon over Smart
-The MCW trade - trading the rookie of the year for a likely distant future pick
-The 2014 draft in which they took an injured Embiid and Saric when he wasn't coming over for two years, leaving a draft in which they had two top 10 picks with no rookie players
-The way the Sixers used their cap space strategically to acquire such a high volume of first and second round picks
-The discovery and development of free agents and 2nd round picks by cycling through volume of players. The creation of the "hinkie" special 4 year / 4 million dollar contracts for these players turning them to highly positive assets when they do hit.

These things are not common / anyone could do it type maneuvers. Other GMs would not have done this even if they were rebuilding. Many of these have actually been popularized since, but were not common before.

i mean a lot of these are just good trades for draft picks. drafting the consensus #1 player who fell to #3 because he was injured isn't a "common move"? drafting a euro lotto player that might not come over immediately? i mean, we're grasping here. using cap space strategically? MIND BLOWN. no one ever took on a bad contract for a pick before

no offense vwls, but you're THAT Hinkie fan

i mean a lot of these are just good trades for draft picks. drafting the consensus #1 player who fell to #3 because he was injured isn't a "common move"? drafting a euro lotto player that might not come over immediately? i mean, we're grasping here. using cap space strategically? MIND BLOWN. no one ever took on a bad contract for a pick before

no offense vwls, but you're THAT Hinkie fan

It's a true honor.

like we're not even out of the woods with embiid yet and #Processers are like, "see, see, we won!" dude didn't go #1 because of his injury concerns, missed the first entire 2 seasons of his career because of injury, played awesome for less than half season on a strict minutes restriction and still managed to get hurt again.

like we're not even out of the woods with embiid yet and #Processers are like, "see, see, we won!" dude didn't go #1 because of his injury concerns, missed the first entire 2 seasons of his career because of injury, played awesome for less than half season on a strict minutes restriction and still managed to get hurt again.

Will be pretty ironic if the process resulted in Embiid being just good enough to get a max deal then ends up getting Oden'd, resulting in it being a 10 year process, at a minimum.

seriously tho, that shit is important. lebron's durability is as important to his greatness as anything else. he's played like a 100 games a year for a decade while doing everything on the court. if it's PEDs they're the greatest PEDs known to man and everyone should take them, especially embiid.

Hinkie has impressed a lot of people by trading something for nothing that may turn into something years down the road.

If you tossed an infant off the side of a bed, it would land on the ground more gracefully than Embiid does every time he jumps. Pretty insane problem to have, but it is why he's hurt now and why he's had a bunch of other scares.

Sixers fans and FO seem way over confident in Embiid's likelyhood of staying healthy. Definitely showing flashes of Oden-Bowie

The problem is that so many GMs don't have plans. They just click buttons. Oh we are bad right now, lets trade our vets and tank this year, and then sign people in offseason and we'll be better next year. Oh, we can trade our first round pick for player X and we could make the playoffs this year.

Just no vision as how to how to get to being an NBA title contender.

would you say they are light years behind?

lacob.jpg

lol, we make funny of joe lacob for saying the warriors were light years ahead and they won 73 games and signed kevin durant.

hinkie-stans basically say the same shit but instead of the wins record and KD they have 3 centers and dozens of 2nd round draft picks.

Holy shit. Kawhi's dunk just now was almost as bad as KD's last night.

Kawhi really came to play tonight.

Back