• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012 Triad Pro-Am Summer League Thread - CMM/Tree/Chase/Green Win Title

Cavanaugh was in attendance. Seemed to be walking ok but did not jog to chase down a missed shot that he took during one of the breaks. I was extremely impressed by Aaron's defense, particularly on guards as his long arm's and wide stance make a difficult barrier to dribble around; especially in light of his fairly fast hands and constantly going after the ball. Even if the guard does somehow manage to get around him, he is still a danger to block shot from behind as he did a few times last night. His movements are very gangly and awkward and I even heard one of his fellow freshman comment "that shot shouldn't have gone in" after one of his drives, however, it works for him. He made some very difficult interior passes to teammates. After someone else's missed shot, he jumped for the long rebound along the baseline and instead of catching it, he tapped it right back to Green who was beside the basket and able to turn and dunk. As other's said, he is 100% effort on both ends of the floor.
I was also impressed by Devin's play. He was one of the only players on his team who hustled back up and down the courts and also played with 100% effort. CJ was sort of acting coach for the team and wanted to reward Dev and instructed LD and other teammates to feed him the ball. Dev is very aggressive to the basket which we have been sorely missing over the past few years. The one issue I noted with him was a tendency to vocally contest every foul call against him. Even extremely obvious foul calls. He needs to be broken of this as it will lead to even more foul calls on him. If that can be reigned in, he may be starting over Green at 5 very soon, depending on the situation at 4.
Moto definitely needs to give up shooting the 3 for some time. When he slashes, he is very good. He probably took 6-8 3 point shots and missed them all, some badly. I hope the staff forbids him from stepping behind the line and forces him to go to his strengths for the time being.
Chase looks to have bulked up a little bit as well. He seems faster and more in control this year from what I saw. He also hustles every time up and down the court.
I was a little disappointed in Green's performance. He had some nice put-back dunks but missed a lot of close layups. He had one jump hook which was pretty nice and is also something we have been missing in the post. He hit most of his free throws but his shot is a little flat and almost looks like he is throwing it at the rim.
Madison and Dre's team did not play but CJ was going to let Madison play on his team in the final game. Problem was that he didn't have any shoes to play in. He kept asking around for some as he really wanted to play and had gotten Codi to offer his up if his team lost but alas it was not to be.
Randolph was there and I saw Rusty walking in as I was walking out.
It was pretty surreal to be walking in the door right behind Dre and actually be standing behind this giant that I had been reading about on the forums for so long. Also to be close enough to the bench to hear all of the joking. Reggie Miller was giving LD a hard time, taunting him to cover Codi and also laughing at him about the fouls he kept picking up against Aaron.

I tried to get some pictures of freshman standing together to get an idea of their heights but none really turned out well. I definitely payed close attention and here is what I concluded: Dre appears to be 2 inches taller than Chas. Devin and Tyler are the same height and about 2-3 inches shorter than Chas. Moto is 1-2 inches taller than LD. Aaron is about 1 inch shorter than Devin. Green may be .5 taller than Devin.

Funniest line of the night: After Aaron blocked a shot from the Holcomb-Fayes team by pinning it against the backboard, the shooter was complaining to the ref that it was goal-tending. He kept repeating to the ref that it had already hit the backboard. Aaron stated: "I know it did, I put it there".
All in all, it was definitely worth the trip and I highly recommend it.

Yeah Aaron is a funny guy. He pissed the HF's off when he kept saying that. He also grabbed a rebound and put a layup in then stared down the HF bench while he was running back up court.

I couldn't stop laughing after he kept saying the "I know it did, I put it there" line.

It seems like he's a pretty FT shooter. If that's the case, he can probably be taught to shoot better. Aaron never has to become a great shooter or even a very good one. All he had to be is a legitimate threat. If he becomes one, the lanes will open up for his drives.

He's from W-S...not Ears Reggie...Big Reggie Johnson....

And suddenly it.makes sense.

Also, hilarious visually, getting those two confused.

It seems like he's a pretty FT shooter. If that's the case, he can probably be taught to shoot better. Aaron never has to become a great shooter or even a very good one. All he had to be is a legitimate threat. If he becomes one, the lanes will open up for his drives.

Is Aaron a Jamaal Levy type player with better vision? Who had/has the better handle?

Yes Reggie Johnson, my bad. He did not play but apparently knows a lot of the players as he joked with them. He sat in front of me. Dre, Devin and Madison sat beside me. I thought about editing my initial post with the name change but then the next 4 posts wouldn't have made sense.

This seems to jive with what many of you saw at summer league:

@DraftExpress
Some NCAA counselors who may have improved their stock by showing better than expected at #adidasnations: Travis McKie

Back