• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread

Que? Winslow's one acknowledged limitation is his offensive ceiling. Frank's known ability is scoring the ball from everywhere. You can make a lot of arguments about the pick, but "offensive fit next to MKG" isn't one of them. A deep-shooting stretch four is perfect.

Acknowledged by who - people who didn't watch him play at all? Not to rehash the same argument, but Winslow shot a higher 3pt % than Kaminsky, on more attempts. By the end of the tournament he was one of if not the top offensive wing player in the country. And he just turned 19 in March. He can get to the rack at will and has a really good outside stroke. Offensive ceiling is not what I would label him with at all.

Acknowledged by who - people who didn't watch him play at all? Not to rehash the same argument, but Winslow shot a higher 3pt % than Kaminsky, on more attempts. By the end of the tournament he was one of if not the top offensive wing player in the country. And he just turned 19 in March. He can get to the rack at will and has a really good outside stroke. Offensive ceiling is not what I would label him with at all.

Scouts. Look at his listed weaknesses on any scouting report before the draft. Here's one from Chad Ford:

Positives

Athletic, powerful wing
Terrific motor
NBA body and strength
Quick feet
Potentially elite defender
Scrappy, cleans up around the basket
Excellent rebounder
Very poised, a leader
Has three point range on his jumper when he gets his feet set

Negatives

Lacks a great jump shot off the bounce
Total lack of a mid-range game
A bit of a tweener

Overall sounds a lot like an MKG-lite to me, with a better wide-open stroke. And Justice and Frank shot virtually identically from three by the way, (.418 [46/110] to .416 [42/101]), but Frank does it from the 4/5 spot, making him a better fit beside MKG. Not sure why that's controversial. Winslow may end being a SF himself (and a good one). Blast away.

I think the blast would be when you are a franchise without a single top 50 player in the league and aren't close to winning anything there isn't much point in worrying about fit. You just need to find a star in the draft.

I feel like every single team in the eastern conference except Charlotte has won a playoff game since Jordan has joined the Bobcats/hornets. It is impossible to be run worse than the Hornets, but yeah we should totally trust their draft pick, warranted trust.

Hope I'm wrong but I would be willing to bet a lot of $$$ that Frank over Winslow will go down as one of the Hornets' worst draft decisions ever and that's saying a whole lot considering how bad MJ has drafted...

It will be worth it when Harry Giles is a Hornet.

Hope I'm wrong but I would be willing to bet a lot of $$$ that Frank over Winslow will go down as one of the Hornets' worst draft decisions ever and that's saying a whole lot considering how bad MJ has drafted...

Since it's completely subjective, I'm sure you can find some takers

Scouts. Look at his listed weaknesses on any scouting report before the draft. Here's one from Chad Ford:

Positives

Athletic, powerful wing
Terrific motor
NBA body and strength
Quick feet
Potentially elite defender
Scrappy, cleans up around the basket
Excellent rebounder
Very poised, a leader
Has three point range on his jumper when he gets his feet set

Negatives

Lacks a great jump shot off the bounce
Total lack of a mid-range game
A bit of a tweener

Overall sounds a lot like an MKG-lite to me, with a better wide-open stroke. And Justice and Frank shot virtually identically from three by the way, (.418 [46/110] to .416 [42/101]), but Frank does it from the 4/5 spot, making him a better fit beside MKG. Not sure why that's controversial. Winslow may end being a SF himself (and a good one). Blast away.

A significantly better wide open stroke. You're talking about a guy who shot over 41% from 3 compared to a guy with one of the worst jumpers in NBA history coming out of college. No, Winslow is not making Steph Curry -style 3s after bouncing in 8 directions, but Winslow is super athletic and can knock down outside shots at age 19, I don't see how that is an offensive ceiling.

But I don't see why Frank is a better fit next to MKG. MKG's strength is that he is a strong rebounder for a guard, and other guards can't keep him off the glass. But that doesn't mean he is a strong rebounder against big guys. If Frank is going to pussy around on the perimeter and not go inside, and you sure as hell know that MKG isn't going outside, why would the other team keep their big on him? You know he isn't going down low. You keep the guard on Frank outside and switch the big to MKG. So your "advantage" is completely gone, and is now actually a disadvantage because its not like Frank is Dirk from the outside; he is a decent outside shooter but who isn't going to shoot any better than the average guard you put out there. Where MKG is an advantage is when the defensive bigs are occupied with your bigs, so MKG can manhandle the opposition's wing down low, but you lose that advantage if the other team's big doesn't have to worry about boxing out Frank.

I think the blast would be when you are a franchise without a single top 50 player in the league and aren't close to winning anything there isn't much point in worrying about fit. You just need to find a star in the draft.

Ding ding. The math geeks have studied this before and concluded you always pick BPA (unless you are selfishly thinking short term about your immediate job security).

Ding ding. The math geeks have studied this before and concluded you always pick BPA (unless you are selfishly thinking short term about your immediate job security).

What I fear is that management did in fact pick who was in their minds the BPA.

Desperate for positive press, the Hornets make Stephany ready a game analyst. I like her a lot, but she has been horrible when doing that role the times Dell misses games

A significantly better wide open stroke. You're talking about a guy who shot over 41% from 3 compared to a guy with one of the worst jumpers in NBA history coming out of college. No, Winslow is not making Steph Curry -style 3s after bouncing in 8 directions, but Winslow is super athletic and can knock down outside shots at age 19, I don't see how that is an offensive ceiling.

But I don't see why Frank is a better fit next to MKG. MKG's strength is that he is a strong rebounder for a guard, and other guards can't keep him off the glass. But that doesn't mean he is a strong rebounder against big guys. If Frank is going to pussy around on the perimeter and not go inside, and you sure as hell know that MKG isn't going outside, why would the other team keep their big on him? You know he isn't going down low. You keep the guard on Frank outside and switch the big to MKG. So your "advantage" is completely gone, and is now actually a disadvantage because its not like Frank is Dirk from the outside; he is a decent outside shooter but who isn't going to shoot any better than the average guard you put out there. Where MKG is an advantage is when the defensive bigs are occupied with your bigs, so MKG can manhandle the opposition's wing down low, but you lose that advantage if the other team's big doesn't have to worry about boxing out Frank.

Um, MKG has never played a minute of guard. He's also the second best rebounding wing in the league, often going against bigger guys. He's a 3/4 player, not a 2/3 player. The perfect complements to his game are a lights-out SG (not a Wade-type, a Curry-type) and a stretch 4 that opens up the middle.

I think maybe we should wait until the rookies play an actual NBA game before having this discussion again. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back