• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread

Well clearly Charlotte and Miami knew, and thus likely the NBA knew. Cho said on the radio this morning that they had been targeting Hairston for months and all of their intel indicated that he would still be there at 26, so they went ahead with the move. There was no way ther were keeping Napier, Hairston was the pick all along. Just because somebody didn't put it on twitter doesn't mean nobody knew about it. Which is kind of the point, the announcements should be coming from the League, not some dude with #scoops. The NFL is where it is because it controls everything itself. I think Silver has done a good job so far of wielding his pimp hand, and this is something that he can and should address in future years.

No smokescren. No one thought Vonleh would make it to #9. Some had the Sixers taking him at #3. I didn't see any mock draft with him reaching #9.

I know you have been big on Vonleh, so you may not have been teased but "McDermott to the Hornets" was one of the most consistent projections out there in mock drafts. I was thrilled when the Kings took Niky Shooter, but wasn't convinced the Hornets would grab Vonleh until the pick was announced.

ETA:
If the Hornets lose their minds and pick McDermott, do the Sixers set up a three man post rotation of Noel/Embiid/Vonleh for the next ten years?
You didn't think it SHOULD happen, but it looks like you got a little chubby when the Hornets were on the clock thinking about the possibility.

Last edited:
No one knew Napier was traded until after the pick was in, not even Woj. It was feasible Charlotte was keeping him. It was released simultaneously with the pick and Jay Williams broke the news to him in the interview. I don't see how you avoid situations like that because you can't put an artificial deadline on announcement of trades. Last night was just extra crazy because there was a lot of movement.

I thought Simmons said Napier and his family found out about the trade 2 minutes before his pick was announced and were getting Heat hats.

He just said on the radio that Jay Williams broke the news to him during the interview.

I know you have been big on Vonleh, so you may not have been teased but "McDermott to the Hornets" was one of the most consistent projections out there in mock drafts. I was thrilled when the Kings took Niky Shooter, but wasn't convinced the Hornets would grab Vonleh until the pick was announced.

ETA: You didn't think it SHOULD happen, but it looks like you got a little chubby when the Hornets were on the clock thinking about the possibility.

I'm not the only one. Of the dozens of mock drafts I've seen over the past month, none had Vonleh available at #9. McDermott made sense to the Hornets. It wasn't a smokescreen.

The only reasons I didn't say "should" were that Ididn't think he'd get past the Hornets and that it's really tough to work three rookies together at 4/5 at the same time. But it would have been an interesting thought.

I know it wasn't really a smokescreen; just celebrating on the Hornets thread. If jaybone wasn't the asst. GM for the Kings, we would have drafted McDermott. Glad they were able to pivot and pull the trigger on Vonleh. The BOBCATS would have still taken McDermott.

I even think Hairston at #26 is a great pick for this team. Glad to see very little "look at Jordan picking a UNC guy" reaction. Other than the 2005 dorkout (mostly Sean May), that criticism of the team isn't accurate.

Last edited:
Nah, they would have taken Hairston.... :)

Vonleh and Big Al is going to be tough to defend.

I think they should make a play for Deng and maybe even Shaun Livingston.

Yeah, I'm more concerned that he is a dumbass than a Tarheel, though being a dumbass Tarheel makes him harder to stomach. His atttude is definitely not what you want with a young team, but maybe Clifford, Kemba, and MKG can get him in line.

ETA: I also have no idea what this does for the Lance Stephenson talk. No way would anyone want those two on the same team.

I'll just leave this here

amysugun.jpg

i just hope the hornets don't blow their cap space on someone stupid now

i wonder if eric gordon is still available from the pellies, he could be a great fit

I thought Simmons said Napier and his family found out about the trade 2 minutes before his pick was announced and were getting Heat hats.

Simmons definitely said that. Must have been mistaken.

Thanks. That seemed like a lot for me to make up.

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread (NEW COURT REVEALED AND IT'S GLORIOUS)

You mean like how most of the board said signing Big Al was stupid because of advanced stats?

Link? I don't recall stats being the reason. I think most (including myself) argued it was stupid because of draft implications.

What draft implications would he have? Signing a player who is better than anyone you have or is available in the draft (last year's was one of the worst in the past twenty years) makes sense.

What draft implications would he have? Signing a player who is better than anyone you have or is available in the draft (last year's was one of the worst in the past twenty years) makes sense.

Expect this was a really good draft, and we were beyond lucky to have more than just the 26th pick because Big Al made us better.

The pick they got was from the Pistons. it was about them sucking. The Hornets were very lucky that the Cavs jumped to #1. Otherwise they wouldn't have gotten a pick.

The Hornets were just above the Sterling Line without Al. Also, how many guys in this draft will be able to average 20/10 almost immediately?

Plus even without Al, the Hornets weren't going to be as bad as the Sixers or Bucks.

Let's keep this thread forward looking. Right now the Hornets have 13 million in cap room from moving Haywood. McRoberts has a 5 million dollar cap hold until he either signs with us or someone else or we renounce him. If we do renounce him because of Vonleh and Zeller we'll have 18 million in cap space.

Needs in FA:

1. Back up PG
Options (in order of probable cost): Shaun Livingston, Avery Bradley, Patty Mills, Greivis Vasquez, Steve Blake, Devin Harris, Jerryd Bayless, Aaron Brooks

2. More wing shooting, PJ is not enough on his own.
Chandler Parsons, Luol Deng, Gordon Hayward, Mike Miller, Alan Anderson

3. A mentally insane, and insanely athletic and gifted 2 guard that may or may not take the step to All Star status or the leap off the cliff into total lunacy.
Lance Stephenson

Having Hariston and Stephenson may not be the best way to build a franchise.

Getting Deng would really help. Livingston would be good.

Back