• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016 MLB Season Thread (Nats Blow It Again)

Smoltz was amazing in the booth in the series. He would pick up small details that explained situations immediately, and then after the replay would always bear out Smoltz's thoughts. He was also prescient about almost every momentum change in the series (and there were many). Cannot remember when an TV analyst impressed me more. Such a stark difference between all those years when viewers had to suffer through Tim McCarver the master of the obvious:

Yeah, that's why I was pulling for Cleveland. Pretty obvious the Cubs will be good for years to come.

The Indians have Kluber through at least 2019 (2020 & 2021 team option), Salazar through probably 2020 thanks to arbitration, Carasco through at least 2018 (team option 2019 & 2020), Lindor and Naquin under team control for the next 5-6 years, Jose Ramirez under control for a similar amount, Bauer through probably 2020, Brantley through probably 2018 (team option), and Kipnis through 2019 (he'll bounce back). They'll be fine.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Indians do something akin to the '14-15 Royals where coming so close to a title drives them to not be denied in 2017

except for the whole curse of king james thing. sounds like he went to games 2, 6, and 7. #whoops

2i4k9cmxifvx.gif

i wonder how long the curse of lbj will keep the denizens of cleveland with out another championship...

Cameron Maybin to the Angels. I guess we have to start the Hot Stove thread already.

Players receiving QOs

Mark Trumbo
Jeremy Hellickson
Yoenis Cespedes
Neil Walker
Edwin Encarnacion
Joey Bats
Ian Desmond
Dex Fowler
Kenley Jansen
Justin Turner

Left out - Wilson Ramos, Mike Napoli, Weiters, Kendry Morales

Surprised about Ramos. Are the Nats trying to sign him long term?

Last I heard he probably won't be able to catch again.

Not sure if it's that dire, but this is Ramos' 2nd knee ligament tear and resulting surgery, he is a big man, and will likely not age well.

Ramos' agent claims that Ramos will be able to play again by the end of May, but even with that optimistic forecast, he may not be able to catch on regular basis for the entire 2017 season; Ramos can't play anything other than catcher. Given the injury unknowns, it didn't make sense to extend a one-year $17 million qualifying offer to a player that likely won't be able to catch more than 50 games next year. The Nats may seek to negotiate an incentive laden deal rewarding Ramos if he can play, but an AL team that can use Ramos as a DH makes the most sense.

Wouldn't shock me if the Nats make a play for Matt Wieters (who the Orioles failed to offer). Boras is Wieters agent, and Boras has a cozy relationship with the Nats. Wieters could also play some first as Ryan Zimmerman is not really an everyday guy at 1st anymore. Wieters is a switch hitter, which would play well in the Nats' right-handed dominant lineup. Have heard the Braves will also be in on Wieters. If Wieters doesn't work out, could see the Nats talking to the Yankees about McCann, now that Gary Sanchez is set behind the plate in the Bronx.

So, isn't this enough of an award for Justin Verlander?

Kate Upton

@KateUpton

Hey @MLB I thought I was the only person allowed to fuck @JustinVerlander ?! What 2 writers didn't have him on their ballot?

Back