• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2017 College football thread

Are you complaining about that illegal shift call? If somebody wanted to put a textbook example of an illegal shift, then just take this gif. Which penalty do you want? The top receiver not being set or the bottom receiver moving towards the line as the ball is being snapped?

I do think that the refs in the ACC subconsciously think that there is an athletic pecking order in the ACC and call things based on that perception, but that is a penalty.

illegal_shift.0.gif

Last edited:
And picking up the late hit flag was 100% the right thing to do.

I challenge anyone to defend blowing a live play dead and overturning that catch

What were the circumstances around those? Got any vids?

Sidebar: it's fascinating to me that the US and Brits are hardwired to laugh off any suggestion that refs could intentionally call a game in favor or against another team. In almost every other place in the world it's just accepted that will happen. Even when you have overwhelming evidence that college sports are rotten down to the core, and there have even been times when it's gotten out that leagues did intentionally direct refs against programs (sean Miller) the suggestion is just laughed off. Has to be something cultural

Oh god here we go. State fans are insufferable about the refs. Not just tintin, he is a well established turd but a lot of state fans I know will be whining until next week's ref caused loss.

We have had our fair share of terrible calls in football and basketball but State doesn't have theReff to correct all their misdirected complaints on the State board, aren't we fortunate here! I have learned it does no good (except to possibly assuage your soul) most of the time to complain, but a state game thread is 50% the "Rayuff"s so they are a different animal in this instance. The amazing thing is watch the Duke or unc board and they actually believe they are constantly getting jobbed by the officials.

With everything that's come out at this point about college sports, you have to be dumb as shit to think conferences wouldn't try to protect certain teams. It's all crooked and it's all about money, and the ACC would stand to lose a lot of it if no one from the league makes the playoffs. The 3 soft PIs on third downs in the first half when Clemson was allowed to climb all over our receivers backs, calling a live play dead to then overturn a call without definitive evidence (this completely changed the field position for the rest of the second half, absolutely huge play), picking up a late hit penalty on the last drive for no reason, the call at the end. Clemson is very good and you're also going to have to beat them and the refs if an ACC team has a shot at beating them again this year. That's just the way it is. You can spout bullshit about missed calls on both sides but the fact of the matter is the penalties were 3 for 23 yards on Clemson and 6 for 69 on state.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.news.../acc/nc-state/state-now/article182858031.html

Just enjoy your new status as the protected kings of the ACC rather than crying about it. It was quite nice when we got every call against FSU this year

Just like the ACC protected Clemson in the dome a few weeks back? :rolleyes:

In just the last month alone, the FBI has had to start arresting college coaches for rigging recruiting and paying off teenagers, and the NCAA just said that 2 decades of unparalleled institutional academic cheating designed to keep athletes eligible is A ok, but leagues making it clear to refs that they would prefer questionable calls go in one team's direction is just beyond the pale, no way that shit could happen.

The more likely explanation is that officials are old guys, are often out of position and call based on what they "see" which is biased to the recruiting rankings and other program factors.

Not really.

Last year's Big 10 entry: 2 Clemson 3 Ohio State 31–0

The year before that: 2 Alabama 3 Michigan State 38–0

B1G hasn't even scored the last two years. I would love to see the Badgers play in the playoff!

I can't follow the logic here.

In just the last month alone, the FBI has had to start arresting college coaches for rigging recruiting and paying off teenagers, and the NCAA just said that 2 decades of unparalleled institutional academic cheating designed to keep athletes eligible is A ok, but leagues making it clear to refs that they would prefer questionable calls go in one team's direction is just beyond the pale, no way that shit could happen.

I don't think league officials would ever issue that kind of directive. Too much to lose with too little to gain. Also conspiracies are pretty hard to keep under wraps in today's environment. I think Cris L'S take is about right.

This was State's year to break into the big time. Shocker, couldn't get it done. :sick:

I think you have something here. You should loop in risc who could help tie in ISIS, Hillary and the saucer people.

I challenge anyone to defend blowing a live play dead and overturning that catch

I was at an App State game a couple of weeks ago. There were off-setting penalties and the next play should have been 3rd down. The refs said it was 4th down and the App St punted. After the play, the officials reviewed the previous call and said it should have been 3rd down. So they nullified the punt and the App St offense came back on the field for 3rd down. Bottom line is that officials are just bad at what they do but that doesn't mean they are corrupt.

Oh bullshit. The refs let them play for the most part. There was an insane amount of holding by the NCSU OL and secondary. Both sides could point to missed calls, but I've never seen such fucking babies. Doeren crying about a laptop, Chubb stealing our QB's towel multiple times, players saying they knew all week that they would have to beat the refs, a State staffer trying to smack the ball out of a Clemson player's hand, and fans spitting on the refs after the game...

Bottom line, we were so depleted in the secondary that we had to play a WR back there at times, and switch players around. You think Clemson wanted to play that soft coverage that allowed Finley to throw all day? State has a very experienced team, and was playing at home. The stars aligned perfectly, and State has nothing to show for it but a bunch of childish behavior and conspiracy theories. Louisville fans don't even whine as much as Pack fans. State didn't lose because the refs were protecting Clemson, they lost because Clemson beat them. They lost because Doeren has no balls and punted on fourth and one st the fifty yard line. They lost because Finley didn't let his receivers get set after an audible. Pack fans need to take the tinfoil hat off.

I completely agree with Doreen not having the balls to go for it on forth and one. I told my NCSU buddy that would be the turning point of the game. What happened next didn’t surprise me one bit lol

Back