• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

I wonder how much lift for the entire conference if Wake just eliminates the 2 bad loses.

If we beat LMU, LSU, State, UVA, Pitt, BC - do we still not get in?

We went 6-7 in games decided by 3 points or less.

If we had gone 11-2 in those games, with each flipped win all being still close, our KP would not have improved much. Maybe ahead of Pitt, who had the lowest KP rating of any at-large team. Still behind Clemson‘s KP

Fucking useless Jim Philips whose only accomplishment is getting to avoid a layover in Charlotte or Atlanta.

Those football coattails have a long reach. B10 and SEC getting too many teams in and overseeded.
Same as last year. When there are only 1-2 teams left in the sweet sixteen again this year perhaps it will become obvious what is happening. Though after last years B10 tournament meltdown I thought they wouldn’t do it again. I was wrong. After the mighty B10 lost the ACC/B10 challenge again for the last time ever.

Mountain West was 0-4 last year and got another shot at 4 teams. Nevada was really surprising to me.

Nothing is going to change. The Big Ten and SEC will get all the media and NCAA favoritism going forward. The B10's only chance at a title in the two main sports is Ohio State in football. It will be a money making overrated conference more than ever.

I'm kinda baffled by Arkansas - huge preseason hype but has 4 good wins all year (SDSU, Mizzo, TAMU, Kentucky). None of those wins are jaw droppers and they have lost to LSU. So you have 1 quality win OOC, beat 2, 3, 4 in your conference but otherwise play well below .500 and you are an 8 seed? I'm mostly discouraged for future Wake teams - our fate is really determined by the other teams in the conference as it appear Arkansas rode the reputation of the conference vs. actually winning games.

The strength of the conference being key isn't really new though, that's been the case for eons. Rising tide has always risen all boats in regard to getting teams into the field.

We're just now experiencing the downsides of being on the other end of things, having also not taken advantage of the positive aspects enough in the past due to our own ineptitude

It seems exacerbated by locking in on computer derived rankings. A ceiling is established by January 1st and your conference is effectively fighting for N possible bids set by the pre-conference aggregate performance of the league. And then perhaps worse than that, you can be a Clemson or a Vandy and vastly out perform teams in the same league and head to head and not be rewarded for that. So based on your own OOC play, if might not be possible (or at least reasonably possible) for you to get one of the N bids.

Teams playing in Greensboro:

(3) Xavier
(3) Kansas State
(6) Kentucky
(6) Iowa State
(11) Pitt/MS State
(11) Providence
(14) Kennesaw State
(14) Montana State

Pretty gross combination. That being said glad Duke didn't get Greensboro.

Uva or Duke should have got greensboro. The whole pod system thing was set up for just that reason. Just another f u to the acc. And greensboro for that matter

It seems exacerbated by locking in on computer derived rankings. A ceiling is established by January 1st and your conference is effectively fighting for N possible bids set by the pre-conference aggregate performance of the league. And then perhaps worse than that, you can be a Clemson or a Vandy and vastly out perform teams in the same league and head to head and not be rewarded for that. So based on your own OOC play, if might not be possible (or at least reasonably possible) for you to get one of the N bids.

There’s no room for improvement over the last 2.5 months of the season.

They don’t give the advantage to 4 seeds or lower; that is why Duke and UVA did not get Greensboro

There’s no room for improvement over the last 2.5 months of the season.
What’s the point of having conferences if the only games that seem to matter are ones at the beginning of the year before conference play starts?

Back