• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's to keep JMU and Jacksonville State from playing an unofficial bowl game to end the season or something? Call it the FU NCAA Bowl (y)
In 2001 Wake finished 6-5 and Hawaii 9-3, neither with a bowl bid. There was talk of an "extra game" between the two outside of the bowl system, but it didn't get much further than some semi-official conversations between the two schools. I think maybe it had something to do with Hawaii being allowed every few years to be able to either host an extra game or take and extra trip to the mainland, but since they had already played 12 that year I'm not sure what the deal was.

In 2001 Wake finished 6-5 and Hawaii 9-3, neither with a bowl bid. There was talk of an "extra game" between the two outside of the bowl system, but it didn't get much further than some semi-official conversations between the two schools. I think maybe it had something to do with Hawaii being allowed every few years to be able to either host an extra game or take and extra trip to the mainland, but since they had already played 12 that year I'm not sure what the deal was.
I have a vague memory of that. As I recall the logistics of planning a game on short notice between 2 teams that are almost 5000 miles apart were a bit much to work out.

It's one thing for teams to go to a scheduled bowl game in Hawaii but this had no advance planning or anything like a bowl game would.

Good to know that each state's attorney general has their priorities in order:

Miyares is a clown; he also graduated from JMU.

lol I mean I feel bad for them, but what possible standing would JMU have to sue the NCAA or go through a legal process when they agreed to the terms when they moved up?

It feels like if the NCAA is going to waste everybody's time with this opaque individualized waiver process, the least they could do for the, what, 1 or 2 programs every few years that want to jump from FCS to FBS, is look at them on a case by case basis??

I have a vague memory of that. As I recall the logistics of planning a game on short notice between 2 teams that are almost 5000 miles apart were a bit much to work out.

It's one thing for teams to go to a scheduled bowl game in Hawaii but this had no advance planning or anything like a bowl game would.
Yep, I remember that too. Crazy the way things are now to think a 6-5 P5 team and any non-probationary FBS team at 9-3 would be left out of a bowl game.

There were 25 bowls that season including the 4 BCS bowls. Only 3 were before Christmas.

This year, there are 18 bowls before Christmas, 42 total + 3 CFP games.

I also vaguely recall that USF fans were pissed that we made a bowl over them the Seattle Bowl year

Harbaugh has accepted the 3 game suspension in exchange for the Big 10 dropping the investigation.

Dude was clearly in on it.

NCAA can still bring the hammer.

I also vaguely recall that USF fans were pissed that we made a bowl over them the Seattle Bowl year
They finished 9-2 in their last year as an Independent with two FCS wins, seven CUSA/MAC/Sunbelt wins and blowout losses to Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Harbaugh has accepted the 3 game suspension in exchange for the Big 10 dropping the investigation.

Dude was clearly in on it.

NCAA can still bring the hammer.
I’m kinda meh on the whole thing too. I guess it was dodgy but fuck Venable was doing it for years at Clemson and sounds prevalent everywhere. It’s just weird that some kind of sign stealing is ok, but other kinds are not.

I wish teams would come up with something better than signs. The whole sideline clown show annoys me. Weird signs with faces and objects. Coaches and backup QBs wearing bright pink caps. It's nuts.

I wish teams would come up with something better than signs. The whole sideline clown show annoys me. Weird signs with faces and objects. Coaches and backup QBs wearing bright pink caps. It's nuts.
Yeah just give them the headsets already - fuck it’s a billion dollar industry, teams have 128382934 different uniforms, coaching staffs are all $20mm+, i think they can afford a few headsets.

dating myself but it was so old school when I played that we would run plays in (a la Paul Johnson)

Sounds like it is not a matter of affording the headsets, but that adding the headsets to the helmets could possibly affect liability issues with the helmet manufacturers. The NFL can afford that kind of risk, not sure every college football program can.

Yeah just give them the headsets already - fuck it’s a billion dollar industry, teams have 128382934 different uniforms, coaching staffs are all $20mm+, i think they can afford a few headsets.

dating myself but it was so old school when I played that we would run plays in (a la Paul Johnson)
Yep. But going fast and allowing the defense to sub kills the “send the play in with the WR” method. Along with calling a play after seeing defensive personal/alignment.

Back