• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

We offered Amaker a tentative deal with "no process required" to lure him away from Harvard?

What's more laughable? The idea we would dismiss our own process of due diligence or that Amaker thinks he's such a valuable commodity that he shouldn't have to interview against other candidates?

Yeah, that does NOT sound like a Wellman move. After the Bzdebacle, he sure as fuck isn't going to hire someone without interviewing them...

Clearly we are running a real process. Nobody is going to get a blind offer to take the job. Not even Shaka.

Amaker's not good enough to demand jobs without a formal process..

Agreed..he's spinning this to get something.anyone who thinks we offered him our job without due diligence is on crazy pills and knows nothing of how RW works..

In the end I think we end up with Howland or Mack. 2 weeks ago either of those hires would have put charmin all over the quad.

From the VCU board - we are the British army.

Did you fellas see the movie "The Patriot?" You know...... the Mel Gibson Revolutionary War movie? Do you remember at the very end, where Cornwallis is surveying the (lost) battlefield at Yorktown, from his stronghold? He's witnessing not only history, but a critical moment in human time. He's got his field glass out, and is checking things out. He slides it back in, and has this awestruck look on his face. He then proceeds to say to his second in command...... something along the lines of not believing that his army could lose to this "rabble." He then says something amazing. And profound. He says everything will change. Everything has changed. He knows the elitist game is up.

Well guess what? The British Army is the Wake Forests of the World. And the rabble, and the new way, is the VCUs of the World. And those guys DO NOT LIKE IT. Hence, what you see here, and on other message boards, and blogs. And the coolest part of it...... IMHO, Shaka LOVES being a part of it. It's exciting. And rewarding. Like I've said a hundred times.... at this very moment in time, I don't believe Shaka wants to win a National Title at Kentucky. I think he wants to build something special here- and BEAT Kentucky for said National Title!

This is delusional. The mid major fan bases can believe what they want , but it's just crazy. There's no chance some A10 school makes the final four this year, but all of them are major schools in major conferences. They aren't the wave of the future but are the fluke of the past.

Honestly. If Shaka doesn't want to play with the big boys I question his desire to win. VCU can talk about how awesome their program is, but really, they don't go toe to toe with the best every week. Either you want to step up to the plate in what has been, and will be, the premier heavy weight conference in the country or he wants to settle.

I hope biff is taking jäger bombs and eatin muff right now. If he's banned, it will jinx the hire.

Right on DoubleDeac, at some point that star might stop rising and begin to fizzle out. But if Shaka is really happy at VCU and loyal to a fault, so be it. And all the best to him.

But if Shaka is as special as VCU fans think he is, not to mention deliberate and cerebral, than you would think he's shrewd enough to realize what a special oppty Wake would provide. Now, does he have the chops and desire to battle the best coaches and teams 18 times a year?

Right on DoubleDeac, at some point that star might stop rising and begin to fizzle out. But if Shaka is really happy at VCU and loyal to a fault, so be it. And all the best to him.

But if Shaka is as special as VCU fans think he is, not to mention deliberate and cerebral, than you would think he's shrewd enough to realize what a special oppty Wake would provide. Now, does he have the chops and desire to battle the best coaches and teams 18 times a year?

Yes. Will he choose Wake as the place to do that? Maybe (I really really hope so). But I think anybody who's waded through any portion of this thread's 8000+ posts must believe that he will measure up very well when he decides to make the leap. Do we have the resources and atmosphere to support him in that battle? I think so--and I hope RW and Natty O can convince him that we do.

I just cannot imagine any scenario where our administration got together after having the [Redacted] hire blow up in their faces and saying screw it let's just call Tommy Amaker and offer him the job over the phone no strings attached.

I know it was immediately after a loss but Archie Miller sure didn't sound like a coach that was leaving town in his postgame interview.

I know it was immediately after a loss but Archie Miller sure didn't sound like a coach that was leaving town in his postgame interview.

Jeff [Redacted] sounded like a guy who was going to get a fifth year the Wednesday before he was fired.

Back