• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Miles probably would be okay, but he really didn't handle that last tournament game very well; at least the part when he was still on the sideline. I know Hess is a loose cannon, but Miles didn't seem very much in control of himself.

In his defense, Baylor shot 32 more free throws than they did.

Assuming we have offered Shaka. Has anyone else thought why we would want someone who needs more than a couple hours to decide if he wants to coach at a top 25 academic institution, in the best basketball league in the country, with a soon to be remodeled 14,000 seat Arena. Or there is VCU. The longer it goes the dumber he gets to me.

And it's becoming more and more clear, Ron Wellman is completely striking out and we are going to get some wet blanket that nobody wants. No clue why I had faith in Ron Wellman to make a solid hire...

I get this on the VCU side of things, but why would Wake continue to let the fans speculate? That's a tremendously misguided approach unless we deliver Marshall or someone of that caliber. If you string along fans with the dream of Shaka any hire is going to be less than. That doesn't seem like a smart way to unify the base.

If Shaka has indeed said no, we still have the other coaching targets to think about... we want them to feel that they are our top choice, not our 2nd/3rd whatever-after-Shaka. Not disclosing any previous negotiations also helps in that regard.

Assuming we have offered Shaka. Has anyone else thought why we would want someone who needs more than a couple hours to decide if he wants to coach at a top 25 academic institution, in the best basketball league in the country, with a soon to be remodeled 14,000 seat Arena. Or there is VCU. The longer it goes the dumber he gets to me.

No argument here

And it's becoming more and more clear, Ron Wellman is completely striking out and we are going to get some wet blanket that nobody wants. No clue why I had faith in Ron Wellman to make a solid hire...

lucy.jpg

Where the hell are our green guys? At least they could come by and say "we got nothing". Their silence is deafening.

SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS

Define striking out? So far as I can tell Shaka is the only candidate that would not be considered a strike out for some decent portion of our fan base

No. He has relationships with his players and incoming players, including the administration at VCU, an institution that is paying him handsomely and will continue to do so for as long as he wants. He may also be concerned about working for a dickhead like Ron Wellman, I know I would. Also, to paraphrase Grobe, at some point, you have enough money. If he is happy at VCU, then an extra $1.2MM/year may not be enough for him to risk his general state of happiness. This is true even though I'd do some really messed up things to earn $3MM/year (but I wouldn't if I was already making $1.8MM).

How is this possible? Aren't we the best opening in all of college basketball this off-season? Other than Marquette, we haven't even had any competition. I bet Mr. Wellman is regretting accepting [Redacted]'s "resignation" right now.

When it came out that SS wasn't going to MU was that from him, MU or some guy on a blog?

If Shaka has indeed said no, we still have the other coaching targets to think about... we want them to feel that they are our top choice, not our 2nd/3rd whatever-after-Shaka. Not disclosing any previous negotiations also helps in that regard.

I think it is safe to say every other coach with whom we have talked knows they are not our No. 1 choice.

Miles probably would be okay, but he really didn't handle that last tournament game very well; at least the part when he was still on the sideline. I know Hess is a loose cannon, but Miles didn't seem very much in control of himself.

So now we're okay with a mediocre coach who's been at ND State, Colorado St and Neb? Talk about some golden channels for future recruitment!! Sound the trumpets!

I spent a week one night at VCU, as I had to take my son to a school event there. Nasty campus right in the middle of a crappy area. The only good thing I experienced was a good pizza place on the edge of campus. I was worried about my car getting broken in to.

Hey were not hiring him to teach critical thinking just to be the basketball coach.

Back