• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Didn't Deman say yesterday that "Manning was on campus yesterday"? If so, that currently means that Manning was on campus the day before yesterday (i.e., Sunday). What a shifty statement by the AD...

Deman has lost almost all credibility. I wouldn't put too much stock in what he says.

It's saying no...it's about stating for years what's wrong with Wake and why it won't and can't succeed.

Very few people have ever been offered $3M/year to move to W-S. Even fewer were in their mid-30s and offered a big step up from where they were. As many others have also shown, jobs on this level aren't going to be available for the next several years.

Many here (like you) had decided long ago that he and others wouldn't even listen. He has. Right now, I'd wager it's more about Wellman that WF.

There could be some merit to this last sentence. Not that I'd "bet" on it. But that is possible. But that type of thing can also get solved without getting rid of the source of the problem immediately. We know Hatch and some on the BoT are involved. And any savvy person can ask a question and get a non-answer that really gives them the answer they are looking for. Wellman, afterall, isn't getting any younger and the basketball coach could have some roll to play in the next hire. Does it take a leap of faith by the candidate, absolutely. I also have to wonder if this has any merit. We know SS knows RC very well. RC should be able to give him the inside scoop on how Wellman treated he who shall not be named - which was with kid gloves relative to what he who shall not be named deserved.

I have zero idea why people keep responding to hoopla's post like they're presenting any meaningful information. If you just look back through his posts on this thread, absolutely nothing he has said has been verified or proven to be correct in any way.

ETA: there's no way negotiations aren't "going well" or whatever he said. RW has to be aware Shaka already passed.

Who asked you anyway? I can't wait to take a #scoopla on your face when the new hits. I can't and will not be silenced!!

How does Shaka know Childress?

I think we're out of shaka by now. Took the weekend. Ok cool. Haven't heard anything except that we've been talking to freaking Danny manning.

DeacMan,

Are u sayin u think it's plausible that SS is angling to assist with the process by which Wellman's successor is appointed? IOW, a seat at the table of "power brokers?"

That would certainly be quite a delicious but of intrigue to this saga. Is that unprecedented or have other powerful coaches been influential in the hiring of a new AD?

It would be a shame if Shaka was indeed attracted to the notion of going to WFU only to turn us down because of Wellman or feelings of uneasiness due to how he did Dino.

Here's what Wade said about Marquette hiring Wojo:

Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade, a former Marquette standout, told ESPN.com that Wojciechowski is a great hire for his alma mater.

"I think it's a great hire from the standpoint of, first of all, he's coming from an unbelievable, unbelievable background of coaches -- being coached under and with one of the best coaches of all time, a coach that I respect so much in Coach K," Wade told ESPN.com during a cover shoot for an upcoming issue of ESPN The Magazine. "And I had my time with Wojo in 2008, 2006 as well -- World games and then the Olympics. I think he's a young, fiery coach that has had success as an assistant coach for 15 years and now is ready to try his success as a head coach.

"So I think it's going to be a challenge, but I think this a great hire and it's a hire of someone they could grow with, and you gotta have patience and I think that Marquette has that patience. So I look forward to the time where I'm able to sit down with him and do whatever I can to help him with furthering the university that I love."

Hopefully CP expresses a similar level of involvement.

Who's got the #nugz? Little #Scoopla from Hoopla: From what I'm hearing, RW is panicking big time. Shaka talks are going nowhere.
BOT are leaning in heavily and putting a ton of pressure on RW. The Manning idea was all RW (like Amaker). Manning not approved (yet) by BOT.
RW doing the big, "Good Guy Pitch." Being told there is another meeting tomorrow to discuss next steps (or not). The Manning of it all I don't believe is the entire basis for the meeting. Here's to hoping at least. #GoldenNugz #DailyDish #Scoop

In other words, expect the next move to be the announcement that we're bringing in a search firm. Fantastic ...

Who asked you anyway? I can't wait to take a #scoopla on your face when the new hits. I can't and will not be silenced!!

There isn't anything you said that you can claim to be right about. You said on the 28th we should know in 24 hours. You've only asserted complete vagueness so that you can claim to be right about anything that happens as a result of your "information." Anything you've said directly, be it dates, expecting great news soon, Pearl, etc has all been disproven. But it builds your e-cred to some, so that's cool.

I can see it now in a week:

"After three weeks and thirteen rejections, Wake has decided to fire Athletic Director Ron Wellman and hire Hoopla of OGBoards fame to consummate a new relationship."

It seems like many feel that Marshall might not be an option because of a potential personality conflict with Wellman. Certainly, the guys interviewing for the Wake job will realize that Wellman is on the backside of his career and will likely be gone within the next few years. Wellman himself is always going to be a negative for Wake. The fact that Wellman is on his way out is a big positive. If these potential coaches are doing their due diligence and chatting up Dino, I can't imagine that any of them is going to be real excited about working for/with Wellman. My hope is that we locate someone who understands that the Wellman dynamic will only last for so long.

#Wellmanout till he is gone.

I got neg rep for posting this early in the search. Wellman is definitely damaged goods.

Oh the Humanity! Get Norwood Teague and Shaka together and kick Wellman to the curb yesterday

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Embrace The Suck

If he's really engaging with Wake fans, someone get him to tweet at Chris to get at Shaka. Do indirectly what we can't do directly.

I am dumb

Last edited:
Oh the Humanity! Get Norwood Teague and Shaka together and kick Wellman to the curb yesterday

Now here's an idea:

"Ron, we're going to take you up on your offer for Shaka, but only if you throw me in there as well. You gotta go bro. You can be the SID if you want, we heard yall need a new one anyways."

Back