• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

20547322_BG1.jpg

Re: a a contract, "Billy Mitchell" would be right. Even if RW has his head in the clouds, the attorneys would have something like a MOU ready. I'm an attorney. We've ALWAYS got the paperwork ready to lock in a deal, whether it's for $2M or a measly $2K. It's the easy part.

Re: the discussion on "overpaying" Manning (if there is a deal) I'm surprised it would be so controversial. Athletes & coaches are always paid ridiculous amounts. And when you think of all the $ Wake has, why would a few hundred K even be a big deal to Wake? Obviously that's a serious sum for most PEOPLE, myself included, but "Wake Will" is on a $200K per city Hatch greatest hits tour. Yes, it will reap rewards, but having a legit hoops program again would bring in its own pot of gold.

Not saying I think we should be wasting money, but this shouldn't be that big of an issue. I mean let's focus on what really matters, like which [name redacted] family member drove the Prius. Priorities people!

Last edited:
The only candidates we have a shot at are folks who need money and don't have or care about their reputations. So, you can choose from those coaches who were fired, or "resigned" in the last year or so. This list contains such luminaries as:

Bill Carmody
Mike Rice
Kevin O'Neill
Jeff Jones
James Johnson
Steve Donahue
Jason Capel
Stan Heath
Tony Barbee
Buzz Peterson

We could probably grab somebody in this tier for $1.1 - $1.3M.

Could Ron be "campaigning" with the NCAA to position himself as Dr. Mark Emmert's successor, like Dick Schultz from UVA and Miles Brand from Indiana did before him? Whatever gets him the f--k out of Winston is OK in my book. Bottom line: if we whiff on Manning then the BOT better be taking a serious loom into why we got turned by by EVERY candidate we pursued. You can't argue that Skip and even Odom before him turned this into a Top 20 job -- now we are begging coaches to leave Tulsa, Harvard, La. Tech and Wichita State? Wake me when the fkkkng nightmare is over.

is she talking about bball coaches?

Andrew Carter ‏@Andrew__Carter · 3m
Rumors swirling Danny Manning to Wake Forest is done deal, but strictly rumors with anonymous "sources". #Tulsa

Sports anchor in Tulsa.

The part of this whole process that I cannot get past is Ron's apparent failure to place our University and his employer ahead of the NCAA in priority for his time and attention. I have had a strong sense that this has been the case for an extended period of time and it was being substantiated through the performance of all of our sports, not just football and basketball. We had fallen off the map in most sports including the ones we have traditionally and recently faired very well. This was telling me that the leadership and direction of our athletic department was lacking or at the least its leader was distracted.

I had hoped this issue had been resolved by the Clawson hire and that Ron was back and fully engaged. I am beginning to believe this was simply luck in that there were two very good candidates extremely interested in the job, making the selection process easy.

In looking at this entire basketball process which includes the delayed firing/resignation; the disjointed initial efforts to sell Shaka; the long distance style recruitment and interviewing process; and now the fact that Ron has to squeeze a visit with a potential hire between NCAA trips, leave him alone after only a few hours on campus for an IMG meeting this morning and flight back to Tulsa, and the most recent reports that nothing can be done because Ron is in Dallas; it is painfully obvious that his priorities are severly skewed. Honestly, I cannot understand how he is getting away with this type of treatment of such an important hire. If I were to ignore my primary responsibilites in this fashion there is no way I could survive.

If I am off base with these conclusions, someone please set me straight. However, looking at this process from my vantage point I cannot begin to accept the manner in which he has chosen to prioritize his time and attention, and it is looking more and more like we may suffer big time as a result.

i don't disagree with these things at all, and it is apparent, at least to me, that it has been a distraction for him in both directions; clearly he was distracted during NCAAT selection process interviews about his coaching search, and clearly now he's distracted about his coaching search with his NCAAT duties

i will say, however, i do think part of moving up in the profession and in athletic departments is to serve on extramural committees, whether that be in the conference, associations for ADs, etc.

it raises the profile of the position and school, at least when it is done properly

right now, obviously, it's not playing out that way

Josh Poteet ‏@PotweetSays 1m
Report: Danny Manning has accepted the Wake Forest job.

And then he goes on to retweet others who say they are rumors...it's all BS until we hear it from insiders or directly from Manning IMO.

The part of this whole process that I cannot get past is Ron's apparent failure to place our University and his employer ahead of the NCAA in priority for his time and attention. I have had a strong sense that this has been the case for an extended period of time and it was being substantiated through the performance of all of our sports, not just football and basketball. We had fallen off the map in most sports including the ones we have traditionally and recently faired very well. This was telling me that the leadership and direction of our athletic department was lacking or at the least its leader was distracted.

I had hoped this issue had been resolved by the Clawson hire and that Ron was back and fully engaged. I am beginning to believe this was simply luck in that there were two very good candidates extremely interested in the job, making the selection process easy.

In looking at this entire basketball process which includes the delayed firing/resignation; the disjointed initial efforts to sell Shaka; the long distance style recruitment and interviewing process; and now the fact that Ron has to squeeze a visit with a potential hire between NCAA trips, leave him alone after only a few hours on campus for an IMG meeting this morning and flight back to Tulsa, and the most recent reports that nothing can be done because Ron is in Dallas; it is painfully obvious that his priorities are severly skewed. Honestly, I cannot understand how he is getting away with this type of treatment of such an important hire. If I were to ignore my primary responsibilites in this fashion there is no way I could survive.

... looking at this process from my vantage point I cannot begin to accept the manner in which he has chosen to prioritize his time and attention, and it is looking more and more like we may suffer big time as a result.

Truly excellent post. Not only has Wellman been swanning around playing NCAA big shot while our flagship athletic program becomes a dumpster fire, but he clearly had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the decision to fire Bz. That delayed by several weeks what he should have been doing, which was identifying and making third-party contacts with his next coach. That's obviously was what the AD at Va Tech did, and he fired and hired a great coach in less than a week while Wellman was running around playing NCAA big shot and refusing to face the music back home.

Wellman owes the entire Wake community an apology, and at the end of his apology he needs to say "I resign."

No to Stan Heath.

Also:

Chas Wolfe
@highmajorscoop
9 Names for Ohio:
Dino Gaudio
Jeff Boals
Scott Spinelli
Bacari Alexander
Dustin Ford
Andy Toole
Jeff Neubauer
Greg Gard
Chris Holtmann
Translate Tweet
3:38pm · 3 Apr 14

And then he goes on to retweet others who say they are rumors...it's all BS until we hear it from insiders or directly from Manning IMO.

Josh Poteet ‏@PotweetSays 1m
if true then this is a big time hire for Wake. Manning is a solid coach and can recruit across the nation and has many recruiting ties.

Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:14 pm
BY DAN COLLINS Winston-Salem Journal
Wake Forest’s search for a new basketball coach is on hold, and will apparently remain so until Danny Manning makes up his mind.
Manning, the coach at Tulsa, was in Winston-Salem on Wednesday to meet with Wake Forest officials about the job. According to the Tulsa World, he is not expected to return to Tulsa, but will instead travel to North Texas for this weekend’s Final Four.

In the meantime, officials at both Wake Forest and Tulsa are waiting to see if Manning will agree to succeed Jeff [Redacted], who resigned on March 20. A source -- who is not authorized to comment but is familiar with the search -- corroborated widespread media reports that Wake Forest has offered the position to Manning.
Ron Wellman, the director of athletics who is leading the search, will also be at the Final Four. He has declined to comment on how long the search might take.

I still think this is a done deal, but I feel more confident in my ability to read tea leaves than on any Deman inside information.

And LOL at 81. What a suckup that guy is.

Back