• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official #ManUp media blitz thread

bigdoublezero

Reaction score
Wake Forest press release: Danny Manning Named Wake Forest Head Basketball Coach

CBS: Danny Manning is leaving Tulsa to be the next coach at Wake Forest

ESPN: New Wake coach Manning 'humbled' by hire

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 51s
Bill Self on Manning: "He graduated, won NCAA title, No. 1 pick in draft, Olympian, two-time NBA all-star, family man, priorities straight."

Bret Strelow ‏@bretstrelow 1m
Danny Manning in release from Wake: "I am excited about the opportunity to be a part of the history and tradition of Wake Forest."

Will Brinson ‏@WillBrinson 20m
Danny Manning could coach with his pants on backwards and his tie wrapped as a blindfold and he’d be an upgrade for Wake.

Wellman on Manning: "He has played for and worked under a number of legendary coaches and he has been successful in his coaching career."

"We fully expect that Danny's coaching career will reflect the excellence of his playing career."

Mike and Mike just announced Manning to Wake Forest.

Last edited:
"Danny Manning is one of the most accomplished, humble people you'll ever meet," said Self. "He's done more in his life through the athletic world than just about anybody, but you would never know it in visiting with him as he never ever talks about himself. His focus on deciding to be a basketball coach was to try to share some of his knowledge and make others better.

"I mean, who wouldn't want their son to be mentored by a guy who has everything you want your son to be? Think about it: he graduated, won a national championship, and was the No. 1 pick in the draft, an Olympian, two-time NBA all-star, family man, has his priorities straight. Who wouldn't want their son mentored by a guy like that on a daily basis?"

"He has a tough side, but he has this quality to calm kids down and make them listen and make them want to play for him," said SMU coach Larry Brown who coached Manning at Kansas. "That's a special gift. Plus, he's bright. He's the whole deal for me.

"He asked me if I thought he was ready to be a (head) coach," said Brown. "He was ready the first day I met him, when he was five years old."

"I'm blessed to have even met him," said Markieff Morris of the Phoenix Suns who played for Manning at Kansas in an interview with ESPN. "He's the best big-man coach in the country. Any time that whistle blows and you look over to that sideline, he's telling you what to do."

I'm really disappointed they recycled the Bill Self quotes from when he was hired at Tulsa.

ETA: Not to be overly dramatic but you should lose your job is the best you can do is plagiarizing someone else's work from two years ago in a national press release.

Last edited:
He was ready to be a coach at age 5?

MONTE

Tulsa World: Danny Manning accepts Wake Forest offer, leaves TU after only two seasons

Tulsa World: Manning's departure should not be devastating blow for TU basketball

Manning won the job over a handful of highly-qualified candidates because as Parmley said at the time “he had a plan to bring Tulsa back very quickly.”
Yes, it did happen quick. Two years. The core group of players is very good and very young (eight of the top nine players were just sophomores). A regular season Conference USA co-championship, the first regular season title in 12 years. A C-USA Tournament championship and automatic NCAA Tournament invitation, the first in 11 years.

BSD: Danny Manning Will Be Named Wake Forest Basketball Coach

Last edited:
#MANUP #LETSGETIT #DANNYANDTHEMIRACLES

God Strelow is the worst. I am surprised he hasn't framed any "lunatic fan base" questions yet. Maybe a "Danny how does it feel to know if you don't win a billboard smearing your name will be up?"

Our own W-S Urinal sent out an email announcement saying:

"Breaking: Danny Manny takes coaching job at Wake Forest"

So lame.

manning_barkley_230.jpg

Kenny Beck ‏@kennybeckWXII 16m
Wake Forest is the first ACC school in three years (Maryland, 2010-11) to hire a new football and men's basketball coach in same school yr.

Kenny Beck ‏@kennybeckWXII 43m
Codi Miller-McIntyre, Aaron Rountree, and Tyler Cavanaugh are scheduled to speak today at 4 re: Manning hire. Their comments at 5 on @wxii

Kenny Beck ‏@kennybeckWXII 3h
Just spoke w/former WFU coach Dave Odom. Says, "I endorse it, it's the right decision. Let's move forward and get this thing right."

Dan Collins: How the Danny Manning Deal Went Down

Sick video footage included.

That video makes Dan look so small time (which I guess he is), but WSJ should really be more cognizant of the image they portray in visual media. He looked like he was being interviewed in front of a beat down pool hall in the middle of Mississippi. Pretty embarrassing interview in my opinion.

Wake Forest Sports
‏@DemonDeacons
New @TieDyeNation head coach Danny Manning has been featured on the cover of SI three times.

BkZKcaCCQAAEIYw.jpg:large

Yes, it did happen quick. Two years. The core group of players is very good and very young (eight of the top nine players were just sophomores).

It is nice to finally see this reasoning being used as a success story & not being shoved down our throats as a reason we suck.

"I mean, who wouldn't want their son to be mentored by a guy who has everything you want your son to be? Think about it: he graduated, won a national championship, and was the No. 1 pick in the draft, an Olympian, two-time NBA all-star, family man, has his priorities straight. Who wouldn't want their son mentored by a guy like that on a daily basis?"

Now THAT rw, is what we fans mean when we think 'culture'. And this is what we want for Wake forest. Bzz and Ron stop at He Graduated,....

Welcome COACH!!!!

Back