• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official NCAA Tournament discussion thread (NWT or WT?)

What's the point of this, other than click-bait?

No idea. They're trying to copy the CFP click-bait model I guess. The CFP makes much more sense.

Does it? CFP kinda creates a grave-for-their-own-making when they do stuff like put TCU at #3, TCU wins by 50+, but then other teams become "conference champions" and all of a sudden TCU is #6.

Similar story here -- any rankings before the final one are pointless because so much can change at the very end, with conference tournaments

Putting Lunardi out of business.

That's an awful idea.

Does it? CFP kinda creates a grave-for-their-own-making when they do stuff like put TCU at #3, TCU wins by 50+, but then other teams become "conference champions" and all of a sudden TCU is #6.

Similar story here -- any rankings before the final one are pointless because so much can change at the very end, with conference tournaments

That's more that the CFP doesn't make sense compared to just taking conference champs.

Think I misunderstood -- thought you meant the CFP style of releasing rankings every week was the way to go, but guessing now you meant releasing rankings every week makes more sense for the CFP than March Madness.

Not sure I agree with the latter point, but either way they should just do away with any rankings before the last ones for both

NCAA giving fans an in season look at the bracket this year on Feb. 11th. The Top 16 seeds will be revealed. LINK

If they only release the top 16 teams, then it won't be much suspense. I suspect that all 16 of the teams in the first release will make the tournament. Most probably they won't be in whatever seed position is given in Feb.

Yep.

It would be educational to find out where we stand, though guys like Lunardi wouldn't be too far off

Still a 10 seed in Lunardi's update today, avoiding Dayton.

Our SOS is going to serve us incredibly well in the conversations against our fellow bubble teams. 8-10 in the ACC with a non-disastrous showing in Brooklyn very well may be enough to get us dancin'

Avoiding Tuesday at the ACCT and not getting blown out on Wednesday will get any team in I believe. Finishing top 10 in the ACC regular season should get you in unless you lose to BC in the opener or get blown out in your only ACCT game.

8-10 doesn't leave much room for error.

At Cuse + Duke = 1 Kenpom projected win.

We need to beat Duke or we will have to steal a road win elsewhere.

I saw an article referencing Mich St's chances & it stated no team has rec'd an at-large birth w/ 14 losses since '10 or '11. If WF goes 8-10 they will enter the discussion w/ 14 losses assuming they don't get the auto bid by winning in Brooklyn. SOS will be very helpful for Wake in that scenario, but if 8-10 becomes reality & the 8 wins are: BC twice, NC St twice, GT, Pitt, Miami & @ Clemson I have my doubts. Saturday is shaping up to be a huge game for the overall resume.

It has been great to have a better team in comparison to the prior 6 seasons, but I still scratch my head that a system can't be created w/ the current roster to improve from #130 in overall defense. There are a ton of teams that don't match up to Wake in athleticism, but manage to play better D. I'm not sure what the solution is, but would be great if they found one.

If current ESPN projections hold, the conferences represented as the Top 4 seeds in the NCAA Tournament will be completely different than the CFP conferences.

8-10 doesn't leave much room for error.

At Cuse + Duke = 1 Kenpom projected win.

We need to beat Duke or we will have to steal a road win elsewhere.

We will still be projected to go 8-10 regardless of the outcome Saturday unless we drop .24 win expectancy because of our play.

We are 3-5 and currently are projected to win 5.20 more games (8.20 win expectancy).

Dropping the Duke game from that would put us at a 4.73 expected win total the rest of the way, which is 7.73 wins, still bumping up to 8 wins.

@BC
GT
State
Pitt

Those four get us to 7, and then we need to beat Duke, Louisville, @VPI, @Clemson, @Duke, or @ND to get the 8th.

We will still be projected to go 8-10 regardless of the outcome Saturday unless we drop .24 win expectancy because of our play.

We are 3-5 and currently are projected to win 5.20 more games (8.20 win expectancy).

Dropping the Duke game from that would put us at a 4.73 expected win total the rest of the way, which is 7.73 wins, still bumping up to 8 wins.

@BC
GT
State
Pitt

Those four get us to 7, and then we need to beat Duke, Louisville, @VPI, @Clemson, @Duke, or @ND to get the 8th.

So like I said, we need to beat Duke or we'll have to steal a road win elsewhere.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

I know Wake doesn't have the greatest resume, but currently Palm has G Tech, NC St in the field. Pitt & Miami in the play in games. Clemson as one of the first four out & no mention of Wake. Pitt is 1-6 & just got beat at home by 50. ??

Doesn't make any sense. I think oversight is more likely. We were in the field in his last projection. I don't see how losing by five on the road makes you drop 8-10+ spots. Especially when Pittsburgh lost the same night as we did, and lost by 50+. Pitt has lost five straight games.

If current ESPN projections hold, the conferences represented as the Top 4 seeds in the NCAA Tournament will be completely different than the CFP conferences.

This is pretty obvious, given the prominence of Villanova and Gonzaga in basketball.

What does everyone think the threshold is going to be to avoid the first day of the ACCT?

Previous years' #9 seeds:
2015-16: Pitt, 9-9
2014-15: Pitt, 8-10
2013-14: Maryland, 7-11

Jerry Palm is kinda weird.

But the most likely explanation is he's over-emphasizing top 50 wins. It's one criteria, but not the only one

Back