• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official NFL Playoffs Thread: Super Bowl 51 - Tom Brady GOAT

The Texans would be a good team for him. Use Brock for the first 10 games of the season then Romo for the remaining 6 and playoffs. A win now team is going to be very disappointed when he gets hurt during their win now season.

No way in hell the Cowboys let Romo go to Texans. In the (probably unlikely) scenario where he stays healthy and Dak turns into Kaepernick 2.0, that would be waaay too much in-state egg on Jerry's face.

No way in hell the Cowboys let Romo go to Texans. In the (probably unlikely) scenario where he stays healthy and Dak turns into Kaepernick 2.0, that would be waaay too much in-state egg on Jerry's face.

Depends on the return in draft picks. I would agree that it would take more from Houston than other teams though.

And Stephen is pretty much running things now. That's been evident for a few years at this point.

Cowboys have plenty of time to think about it since they're already out of the playoffs, so that's the good news

I would keep Romo unless I got a 1st or 2nd or he was willing to restructure his contract in exchange for DAL shipping him out of town to a destination of his choosing, and thereby reducing the cap hit. As mentioned, easy to forget the ghosts of Kap and RGIII. Dude has put in 1 year of good work.

No one is giving up a first for Romo

Without knowing the contract differences, the Vikes gave up a first for Sam Bradford. I know there's a big age gap, but if a team thinks they can make a run then they'll give up a first, especially a late first.

Report: Tony Romo still wants to play for the Denver Broncos but they are not interested
The Dallas Cowboys' "No. 1 priority this offseason" is going to be trading Tony Romo, according to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, however, that may not be as easy as originally thought.

With the emergence of Dak Prescott this season, speculation began on where Romo would play next season, if he decides to play at all.

In November, Rapoport reported that if Romo does not retire, his top choice would be a trade to the Denver Broncos. However, that now looks like it won't happen.

"It's no secret, his No. 1 spot would be the Denver Broncos," Rapoport said Sunday on the NFL Network. "But from what I understand, that is not something the Broncos would be inclined to do."

Romo still has three years and $54 million left on his contract. He is also scheduled to take up $24-25 million of space against the salary cap in each of those seasons. Any team that does trade for Romo would almost certainly want to renegotiate his contract.

According to the report, the Cowboys would prefer to trade Romo to a championship-caliber team.

"They are going to want to take care of him and make sure to send him to somewhere that can compete for championships" Rapoport said.

However, that is seemingly more difficult without the Broncos on the table. Other teams mentioned as possibilities were the Buffalo Bills, the Chicago Bears, and the Houston Texans.

Rapoport also noted that retirement "is still a possibility" and that Romo does not want to be a backup on the Cowboys.

If Romo can't play for the Broncos next season, it would seem that the chances we never see Romo play again have just gone up.
http://www.businessinsider.com/denver-broncos-dont-want-tony-romo-2017-1

No one is giving up a first for Romo

You wouldn't think so but there are so teams with hot garbage at QB that havent proven they can identify talent in the draft. He is a sure thing if healthy.

But that's my point. Unless some dumb team like CLE or the JETS is willing to overpay, I'm keeping him on the bench in case Dak turns into a pumpkin.

But you were right in your prev post. Its the Cowboys so WGAF

And lots of teams in need of a QB, many of which are in "win now" mode next season.

I'm not so sure. Houston would be the obvious fit from a ready to win perspective, however they're tied to Osweiler through at least next season, so I'd be surprised if they have the necessary cap room for 2 QBs costing in the $15-17mil range. I believe Denver has said they're not interested. They just need to fix their OL. Simien looked passable this year when he wasn't lying on his back, which he often was. Romo wouldn't last a quarter behind that line. Cleveland isn't ready to win anything other than the 1st pick in the 2018 draft, and it looks like they're going with RG3, which is another reason they're winning the 1st pick in 2018. The Jets could be a possible destination because they have good WRs and potentially a good D, and I think Fitz isn't a cap charge next year for them. There will be an opening in Chicago because I expect them to jettison Cutler, but I don't know if they're in the ready to win camp. San Fran and LA are nowhere near ready to win. Maybe Zona if Palmer retires, but that's doubtful. I doubt Buffalo would be attractive to Romo if Taylor is cut.

The other issue with a trade is the amount of draft compensation in return and a new team tying itself to Romo's contract and fitting that within their cap. No doubt Dallas tries to trade him, but I think it'll be hard finding the right buyer and they end up granting his release.

Ex-NFL LB trains disabled veterans. For the next time you feel sorry for yourself
[video]https://upstanders.starbucks.com/episodes/02-a-warriors-workout.html[/video]

Jerry Jones was hyping up Romo again, saying that he could do what Rodgers did. Apparently he has never watched Romo play in a big game. Nonetheless, it is tough to trade Romo because he is old, hurt, sucks, and has a big contract. But Jerry believes in him and obviously won't cut him outright. Any chance that Jerry is crazy/stupid enough to think the team is in win-now mode and can do it with Romo, so therefore try to trade Dak? He is on a 4th round pick deal which is next to nothing; I would think that Cleveland or San Fran would jump at the chance to get a proven rookie QB on that deal in exchange for #1 or #2 pick, right? Even if they view Trubisky or Watson as a better QB prospect, which I don't think they could at this point, proven Dak on the remainder of a 4-year $400k deal is golden compared to paying the #1 or #2 pick millions per year to prove their worth. That pick then lets Dallas take Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen to shore up the defense, or flip the #1 or #2 for two first rounders to use on defense. No way I would have faith in Romo, but I could see Jerry having it.

Tony-Romo-sad.jpg

You wouldn't think so but there are so teams with hot garbage at QB that havent proven they can identify talent in the draft. He is a sure thing if healthy.

But that's my point. Unless some dumb team like CLE or the JETS is willing to overpay, I'm keeping him on the bench in case Dak turns into a pumpkin.

But you were right in your prev post. Its the Cowboys so WGAF

Sure thing for what - 9 wins and first round exit, likely in spectacular fashion? And him staying healthy is a huge question mark. Basically the last two times he has been hit his career has almost ended.

I'm not so sure. Houston would be the obvious fit from a ready to win perspective, however they're tied to Osweiler through at least next season, so I'd be surprised if they have the necessary cap room for 2 QBs costing in the $15-17mil range. I believe Denver has said they're not interested. They just need to fix their OL. Simien looked passable this year when he wasn't lying on his back, which he often was. Romo wouldn't last a quarter behind that line. Cleveland isn't ready to win anything other than the 1st pick in the 2018 draft, and it looks like they're going with RG3, which is another reason they're winning the 1st pick in 2018. The Jets could be a possible destination because they have good WRs and potentially a good D, and I think Fitz isn't a cap charge next year for them. There will be an opening in Chicago because I expect them to jettison Cutler, but I don't know if they're in the ready to win camp. San Fran and LA are nowhere near ready to win. Maybe Zona if Palmer retires, but that's doubtful. I doubt Buffalo would be attractive to Romo if Taylor is cut.

The other issue with a trade is the amount of draft compensation in return and a new team tying itself to Romo's contract and fitting that within their cap. No doubt Dallas tries to trade him, but I think it'll be hard finding the right buyer and they end up granting his release.

Have no idea what Houston's cap situation is, but IIRC, there is going to be a bump in the cap this off-season; so, unless Houston has a bunch of escalating contracts, they (along with every other team) will have money to spend in the off-season.

Have no idea what Houston's cap situation is, but IIRC, there is going to be a bump in the cap this off-season; so, unless Houston has a bunch of escalating contracts, they (along with every other team) will have money to spend in the off-season.

I understand. And I don't know the Texans' cap situation - I just follow the Ravens cap situation. But if they do sign Romo, they'll probably have > $30mil tied up with QBs on their cap whether they cut Osweiler or not. That's a lot.

Sure thing for what - 9 wins and first round exit, likely in spectacular fashion? And him staying healthy is a huge question mark. Basically the last two times he has been hit his career has almost ended.

Again, he's a surer thing than Fitz, TMob, everyone in CLE, Ozweiler, Goff, anyone in CHI, anyone in JAX, anyone in DEN, anyone in SFO. A lot of those teams would consider a first round exit a triumph, and all it takes is one to roll the dice.

The QB/NO QB conundrum is especially highlighted this year, when you have 2 all timers, a multi superbowl winner and the current MVP who has led a top 10 all time NFL offense this year, all QBing the final 4.

Again tho, WGAF about Romo. He home.

Last edited:
Back