• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

You can always email them and say “I thought the professional thing to do was email you and let you know that I am no longer interested in joining your company. Over the course of this process I have realized that our values do not align and I wish you luck in finding someone better suited to your way of doing business.”

Feels cathartic if you don’t mind burning bridges.
Yeah, don't do this.

ffs Barca I’m frustrated on your behalf for the endless rounds of interviews involved in you search. It’s as if you’re applying for head of the CIA with these places requiring like 8 rounds. The tournament from hell

so what I'm learning is that every time I put a company on blast on this thread, I get a good response. need to remind myself to do this next week if I haven't yet heard back from the gov't job.
Pretty sure it was my shit talk of you.

Let him have it gentlemen

ffs Barca I’m frustrated on your behalf for the endless rounds of interviews involved in you search. It’s as if you’re applying for head of the CIA with these places requiring like 8 rounds. The tournament from hell
yeah. just sent availability to this company over the next week as requested, sent the same time slots yesterday to another so hope they don't conflict. it's not like I can use the work conflict excuse, guess I'll have to blame it on my kid.

Company A:
Round 1 with recruiter
Round 2 with hiring manager
Round 3 multiples with various people (originally thought I would be traveling out there for in-person, so TBD how many separate calls this will entail)

Company B:
Round 1 with recruiter
Round 2 with a consultant they work with
Round 3 is supposedly a panel interview or two
Final Round would be with someone in the c-suite

Gov't job:
Round 1 with someone in the dept
Round 2 with hiring manager, and her two higher ups
TBD from there

I got an apology emailed to me that night when I did this. It makes HR look terrible, and now a days company are concerned about what you will post on Glassdoor.
I guess you have to weigh whatever satisfaction that provided vs. the chance (even if remote) of working at that company in a different role someday. But as you said, if burning bridges is of no concern, then fire away.

Company A has now scheduled 4, count ‘em 4, separate Teams meetings with me over the coming days. The first 3 came at once for next Tue and Wed and I thought great maybe I can get final word by end of next week. Now there’s another for the 13th. So good that they’re wanting me to talk to all these people but my goodness. Guess that answers the question about if it was a scheduling issue or not.

One of our friends up here was applying for a brand management type job with a distribution company last year and he had FIVE separate interviews, including two different whole day "meet the team" type deals. He did not get the job. I can't fathom who on earth needs to have five different interviews to determine the right fit barring executive type roles with the company. After the third one I think I would've asked "so I've met everybody in the entire company now right?"

Pulling someone in to meet the team is the last step before we hire and we only do it with someone we’re serious about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulling someone in to meet the team is the last step before we hire and we only do it with someone we’re serious about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if they're having me meet this many people (looks like 9 total not counting the hiring manager if she's on any of the calls) I would hope it's serious. though if someone doesn't like me on one of the first calls and has any big sway that could make the next few suck.

need to do some LinkedIn stalking to see which ones are peers on the same team I'd on vs the exec team where I'd be working closely with them.

yeah. just sent availability to this company over the next week as requested, sent the same time slots yesterday to another so hope they don't conflict. it's not like I can use the work conflict excuse, guess I'll have to blame it on my kid.

Company A:
Round 1 with recruiter
Round 2 with hiring manager
Round 3 multiples with various people (originally thought I would be traveling out there for in-person, so TBD how many separate calls this will entail)

Company B:
Round 1 with recruiter
Round 2 with a consultant they work with
Round 3 is supposedly a panel interview or two
Final Round would be with someone in the c-suite

Gov't job:
Round 1 with someone in the dept
Round 2 with hiring manager, and her two higher ups
TBD from there
Government hiring is the most convoluted process known to exist. It involves a lot of waiting on the part of the candidate. It is worse if the job requires any kind of security clearance. Patience. And more patience, if it a job that interests you.

Government hiring is the most convoluted process known to exist. It involves a lot of waiting on the part of the candidate. It is worse if the job requires any kind of security clearance. Patience. And more patience, if it a job that interests you.
Yeah I’ve been browsing the USA Jobs Reddit and people have timelines all over the place, from days to weeks to months.

Whew, busy week ahead.

Company A: 4 calls (2 today, 1 tomorrow, 1 next Monday). This replaced a day in their hq. Not sure what beyond that, but hopefully that's it.
Company B: 2 calls on Thu, plus a short writing assignment due Thu night, there would be a final round after.
Fed gov't: Final round with the 2 highest up people in the dept on Thu

Seems like the Feds really want me based on the call I had with the hiring mgr yesterday. Great salary, would need to see where Company A would come in but I think it would be similar. Fed offers more stability.

It's funny, there are so many people on Reddit who are staunchly against multiple rounds of interviews saying people should refuse to do it. But, like, how would that go over? Maybe if you're already employed but I'm in a beggars/choosers situation.

Yeah, it's easy to say "decline additional interviews" when it seems crazy, but the reality of looking for a job while unemployed sucks.

I love interviews. both conducting them and being interviewed.
What is your biggest weakness? How would your coworkers describe you? Tell me about a time at work where someone asked you to do something that violated your code of ethics and how did you respond?

What is your biggest weakness? How would your coworkers describe you? Tell me about a time at work where someone asked you to do something that violated your code of ethics and how did you respond?
Each of my answers to these questions can be substantiated by a short anecdote, which in turn reveals my values, experience, and enthusiasm.

Grammar, grammar nazi, had to ignore their grammar, I did not.
Actually, this is one of my most frustrating professional problems, because colleagues I encounter in other fields do think that what we do in my discipline is teach and correct grammar.

This impression is not helped by old-school non-research faculty, typically teaching composition, who do insist on grading for grammar and stuff. It's highly annoying, not best practices in the field, and is the very kind of bullshit that makes students turn to chatgpt.

Back