• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL Syracuse Game Thread

Looking at the stats. 23 Wake first downs to 15 for Syracuse. 81 total plays to 53. 419 total yards to 370 (including an 89 yard play for SU). Ten more minutes of possession.

We weren't capable of anything like that against any opponent last year. We all knew that the O-line was going to be bad, and we were replacing two corners who are on NFL rosters now. Those were the glaring weaknesses today. However, Wolford can play when he has time, I really like Bell as a running back, and we've clearly got talent at receiver. Between Serigne, Brent, Hines, Lewis, and Wade, we've got guys who can get open. Sucks that we lost today, but we are very clearly going in the right direction--and Clawson has done this at every head job he's had.

Excellent points, we are headed in the right direction but will have some u-turns like this along the way until we get more experience. Out of our 85 scholarship players, 37 are FR and R-FR

You can see the progress that's great. But 3-9/4-8 this year as I thought. Will make progress through the season but 3-9/4-8. Next year is bowl year.

Yeah. Like I think most thought. We will be much better but it won't be reflected in the record.

Cuse came out in the second half as a different team. They adjusted to us and we didn't change a thing. The OL looked confused at times by the different looks. Tip your hats to a better coaching job by the Orange.

Shoulda. couda,wouda...once again we gave Cuse an extra 10 points to play with, had you guys much of the game until late in the 3rd quarter, the PF was the final straw since a catch on the 20 might have resulted in a T.D, missed FG/TD opportunities during the game. I think that your final record will match ours.

This is two straight times we have folded in fourth quarter up there. Besides bad play, the noise in the dome , heat, and complete lack of oxygen play a role IMO. They are used to that carbon monoxide filled sauna . It's a real advantage for them.

Will we ever run an orbit sweep again ? See trickeration? Still waiting on some offensive imagination from this staff. We have a few players to do those things with this year.

Will we ever run an orbit sweep again ? See trickeration? Still waiting on some offensive imagination from this staff. We have a few players to do those things with this year.

We ran two sweeps today with Hines.

Went to the fsu game, should.I rewatch this shit on replay?

Good to see I have brasky on the #clawsout wagon. Hop on guys, CHOO CHOO

Cuse came out in the second half as a different team. They adjusted to us and we didn't change a thing. The OL looked confused at times by the different looks. Tip your hats to a better coaching job by the Orange.

Not sure about that. If I recall, Wake marched right into Syracuse territory on their first drive of the second half but had a bad sack on first down, and then played conservatively for the missed 50 you FG. Then they got back into Syracuse territory on the next drive before the personal foul penalty torpedoed it. I believe the 89 yard TD by Syracuse came on their following possession and that totally changed the momentum of the game.

^^^^^

Yeah this. We had two great opportunities in the 3rd to build the lead and really take control and we shot ourselves in the foot. Cuse didn't come out of the half a different team we failed to capitalize and they hit a big play late in the quarter to get momentum.

Last edited:
You're right....and except for the 3-year anomaly from 2006 thru 2008 we haven't been for 60 years....and we won't be for the next 60 years.

Jim Grobe performed a once-in-a-lifetime unsustainable miracle during that three-year period. It seems that a lot of people who haven't been around WF football very long still can't seem to get that thru their thick heads.

Are you fing kidding me. We have what a total 6 seniors 3 of which play? We should be significantly better next year. With a school like Wake you cannot win with that much youth, but we can do what Duke has done regardless of what you say.

I still say we beat Army and we take your Hoosiers to the Woodshed as they blow. After that there are certainly 3 more winnable games on the schedule and who knows whether we win them or not.

Unless I missed something, the penalty against Lewis was complete bullshit and was obviously a turning point. Cuse needs to send a thank-you note to the officials.

So was that pass interference call and the non targeting call that was a legit targeting hit.

Fair analysis. We were so horrible on offense last season, it would be absurd to say we haven't improved. But we are far from being competitive in the new ACC. BTW, your offensive coaches called a great game.

I really don't think we are that far away. We played with Louisville last year and beat VT. FSU certainly doesn't look as good and Clemson can be had. I see a lot of close losses this year and a turnaround next year after our 6 seniors graduate.

^^^^^

Yeah this. We had two great opportunities in the 3rd to build the lead and really take control and we shot ourselves in the foot. Cuse didn't come out of the half a different team we failed to capitalize and they hit a big play late in the quarter to get momentum.

I agree with this. The improbable TD when pinned deep in their territory was the biggest momentum changing play I've seen since the Gaines Adams play. The unsportsmanlike just killed our drive -- which was a huge factor in the game itself -- but it didn't shift momentum noticeably itself.

Went to the fsu game, should.I rewatch this shit on replay?

Good to see I have brasky on the #clawsout wagon. Hop on guys, CHOO CHOO

Why the hell do you hate Clawson so much? I saw a coach on the sideline coaching with some passion and emotion. He got behind his guys and fought for them like a coach should do. Something Grobe never really did. I like Clawson a lot and anyone can see we are much better and headed in the right direction. We lose what 3 starters this year 6 total seniors we will be better.

Just got home, and, for 3 quarters I thought WF was the better team on the field. Wolford is legit. He got hit quite a bit today and it looked like it started taking a toll late 3rd. I honestly think that these two teams will be something to watch in the coming years. There was a lot of youth on the field today on both sides.

Good game WF.

Back