• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

had a good time the other night trying to remember which celebrities were voices for 90s Disney movies
Celebrity voice acting in Disney movies wasn't really a thing until Aladdin and I don't think anybody really cared before that.

In gratitude for his success with Touchstone Pictures's Good Morning, Vietnam, Robin Williams voiced the Genie for SAG scale pay ($75,000) instead of his usual asking fee of $8 million, on the condition that neither his name nor image be used for marketing, and that his character take no more than 25% of space on advertising artwork, since Williams's film, Toys, was scheduled for release one month after Aladdin's debut. For financial reasons, the studio reneged on both counts, especially in poster art, by having the Genie in 25% of the image but having other major and supporting characters portrayed considerably smaller. The Disney Hyperion book, Aladdin: The Making of an Animated Film, lists both of Williams's characters, "the Peddler" and "the Genie", ahead of main characters, but was forced to refer to him as only "the actor signed to play the Genie".[43][47][48][49]

Disney, while not using Williams's name in commercials as per the contract, used his voice for the Genie in the commercials and used the Genie character to sell toys and fast food tie-ins, without having to pay Williams additional money. Williams unhappily quipped at the time, "The only reason Mickey Mouse has three fingers is because he can't pick up a check." Williams explained to New York magazine that his previous Mork & Mindy merchandising was different because "the image is theirs. But the voice, that's me; I gave them myself. When it happened, I said, 'You know I don't do that.' And they [Disney] apologized; they said it was done by other people."[50]

Disney attempted to assuage Williams by sending him a Pablo Picasso painting worth more than $1 million, but this move failed to repair the damaged relationship, as the painting was a self-portrait of Picasso, as the artist, Vincent van Gogh, and apparently really "clashed" with the Williams's wilder home decor.[51] Williams refused to sign for the 1994 direct-to-video sequel The Return of Jafar, so it was Dan Castellaneta to voice the Genie. When Jeffrey Katzenberg was replaced by Joe Roth as chairman at Walt Disney Studios, Roth organized a public apology to Williams.[52] In turn, Williams would reprise the role in the second sequel, Aladdin and the King of Thieves, in 1996.
[53]

bold made me lol

Civil War was very good. It’s extremely tense and dark. It’s hard to describe it as dystopian because it feels much more immediate than that. It is directed and filmed very similarly to Children of Men, which provides that feeling of vulnerability and fear for the protagonists.
The movie didn’t really come together for me. Some cool shots/scenes, but I’m not sure yet what the point of it was.

Back