• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Trump: Dems favorability down to 31%! All time low! Sad!

I thought you'd get a laugh out of my pos rep. Clearly not. :)

Was "fuck off" meant as a joke? Really? I get that a lot in response to posts about Trump and it's rarely meant as a joke. If it was, I apologize. Actually, even if it wasn't meant as a joke, I shouldn't give a fuck and apologize. You're entitled to tell me to "fuck off". Should not bother me either way. I like to think I'm immune to most of the hate I receive but you touched a nerve. Perhaps because I'm a Bill Murray fan.

Townie used to leave the best negrep but he's started leaving just neg rep with no comment, cause he knows I enjoyed his comments. :(

What if everything falls apart and Trump ends up being an awful president. Will the shame be too great and I'll just quietly slink away. Will I ever admit I royally fucked up or try to somehow justify it. I already have a new username picked out if I have to come back incognito.

maxresdefault.jpg

What do you know about CIS- just some libertarian criticism you've read at CATO's blog? Do you have anything substantive that rebuts any of their reports, or you're just talking shit because you have difficulty handling a reality that flies in the face of how you want things to be? Here's a CIS response to CATO from a couple years ago. Is this what you are referring to when you say "they're at it again", something from a couple years ago?
Cato Institute Misses the Point on Immigrant Welfare Use — Again

http://cis.org/camarota/cato-institute-misses-point-immigrant-welfare-use-again

For someone who spends a lot of their time trolling, it's pretty easy to get under your skin. The only time I'd ever heard of the CIS before was when they were in the new for publishing the bogus data about Obama releasing tons of prisoners. But when I say they are "at it again," I'm mostly poking some gentle fun at you. You've done an awful lot of ranting and raving about the lemmings on this board to be so dogmatic in your opinions.

I know you are passionate about trade and immigration. And it's a worthwhile conversation that we should be having as a society. But you present one side of the story and attack anyone who has the audacity to question you. I think it's worthwhile to know, for example, that Hispanic immigrants use LESS welfare than Hispanic natives. I think it's worthwhile to know that immigrants without a high school education use LESS welfare than native high school drop outs. I think it's worthwhile to know that poor immigrants use LESS welfare than poor natives. But when you just say that immigrants use more welfare than natives, you lose that nuance.

It's the same with immigrants and jobs. You talk about immigrants' impact on the American worker all the time (it seems like Borjas is your hero). But of course it is not as simple as immigrants take jobs from natives. And most of the data suggests that immigrants are a net positive for the economy. The negative impacts seem to be clustered in a small subset of the population. Specifically, among high school drop outs. To me, rather than curtailing immigration in any significant way, it makes a lot more sense to take a piece of the gain that immigration provides and use it to help (1) prevent native high school drop outs in the first place and (2) help those who have with job training and assistance programs.

I think there is a similar story with trade. I liked this article from the Economist. Trade agreements have been great for the economy as a whole, but has contributed to a decline in jobs for unskilled workers (at the same time it made their stuff much cheaper to purchase). While that is clearly a problem, I don't think the answer is as simple as pulling out of trade agreements. We should enact policy to take some of those gains the agreements afford and use them to help the unskilled workers who are being harmed. From the piece:

"To the extent that some Americans are harmed, which is inevitable, the projected gains of future free-trade agreements should be more than enough to compensate losers, if only the government can get itself organised. Peter Petri and Michael Plummer, two economists, estimate that the TPP will boost American incomes by $131 billion, or 0.5% of GDP. That is over 100 times what America spent on trade-adjustment assistance in 2009: there is plenty of scope to do more for the losers from trade...
If America is to go on reaping the gains from trade, it must ensure it compensates those who lose out. You can oppose protectionism, or you can oppose redistribution. It is getting harder to do both."

For someone who spends a lot of their time trolling, it's pretty easy to get under your skin. The only time I'd ever heard of the CIS before was when they were in the new for publishing the bogus data about Obama releasing tons of prisoners. But when I say they are "at it again," I'm mostly poking some gentle fun at you. You've done an awful lot of ranting and raving about the lemmings on this board to be so dogmatic in your opinions.

I know you are passionate about trade and immigration. And it's a worthwhile conversation that we should be having as a society. But you present one side of the story and attack anyone who has the audacity to question you. I think it's worthwhile to know, for example, that Hispanic immigrants use LESS welfare than Hispanic natives. I think it's worthwhile to know that immigrants without a high school education use LESS welfare than native high school drop outs. I think it's worthwhile to know that poor immigrants use LESS welfare than poor natives. But when you just say that immigrants use more welfare than natives, you lose that nuance.

It's the same with immigrants and jobs. You talk about immigrants' impact on the American worker all the time (it seems like Borjas is your hero). But of course it is not as simple as immigrants take jobs from natives. And most of the data suggests that immigrants are a net positive for the economy. The negative impacts seem to be clustered in a small subset of the population. Specifically, among high school drop outs. To me, rather than curtailing immigration in any significant way, it makes a lot more sense to take a piece of the gain that immigration provides and use it to help (1) prevent native high school drop outs in the first place and (2) help those who have with job training and assistance programs.

I think there is a similar story with trade. I liked this article from the Economist. Trade agreements have been great for the economy as a whole, but has contributed to a decline in jobs for unskilled workers (at the same time it made their stuff much cheaper to purchase). While that is clearly a problem, I don't think the answer is as simple as pulling out of trade agreements. We should enact policy to take some of those gains the agreements afford and use them to help the unskilled workers who are being harmed. From the piece:

"To the extent that some Americans are harmed, which is inevitable, the projected gains of future free-trade agreements should be more than enough to compensate losers, if only the government can get itself organised. Peter Petri and Michael Plummer, two economists, estimate that the TPP will boost American incomes by $131 billion, or 0.5% of GDP. That is over 100 times what America spent on trade-adjustment assistance in 2009: there is plenty of scope to do more for the losers from trade...
If America is to go on reaping the gains from trade, it must ensure it compensates those who lose out. You can oppose protectionism, or you can oppose redistribution. It is getting harder to do both."

When you say something like poor immigrants use less welfare than poor natives, what you're really trying to do is obfuscate the issue. Because the overwhelming majority of immigrants are poor and uneducated. Therefore they use much more welfare than the native population. That's not being racist to point that out, that's just reality. I've said before, immigration creates winners and losers. The winners tend to be the employers who are able to exploit immigrant labor and the immigrants. The losers tend to be everyone else, in terms of lost wages, competition for jobs, overcrowding, increased housing costs, competition for social services, etc. You can't take something from one person to give to another and still say everyone is a winner. As far as immigrants being a net positive for the economy, that's debatable and it's probably at best a net wash. And these gains are not shared broadly across the economy- really only two groups benefit, the immigrants and their employers. The National Academy of Sciences recent report concluded the immigration surplus is relatively small, $50 billion. Also, immigration resulted in a 5.2% reduction in wages. That translates to $500 billion. And the fiscal burden is from $43 billion to $299 billion, depending on what is assumed.
Link to Borjas:
https://gborjas.org/2016/09/21/a-users-guide-to-the-2016-nas-immigration-report/

I do appreciate your response tilt- sometimes my responses are dickish but no animosity is meant. The nature of this place is ball busting and when it comes to immigration I'm pretty much the only person on here who believes it should be dramatically curtailed. I like that you at least seem open minded.

There is something very fishy going on with twitter. Lately all of the responses to Trump's tweets are negative and his tweets are not showing up in his supporter's timelines. They're actively trying to thwart his influence. Very dangerous.

This isn't reality, right?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/donald-trump-was-not-briefed-9766516

Donald Trump 'wasn't briefed' on Executive Order he signed appointing Steve Bannon to National Security Council

Donald Trump ‘was not briefed’ on an Executive Order he signed placing an ex-far right website owner on America’s National Security Council.

The President is reportedly fuming because he wasn’t told the piece of paper he signed would put Steve Bannon on the crucial committee.

According to the New York Times, not being fully briefed on the appointment is "a greater source of frustration to the president than the fallout from the travel ban."

Bannon, the former CEO of far-right website Breitbart, is Trump’s ‘chief strategist’ in the White House - and is the first political appointee to be made a primary member of the Council.

If that's true, and Trump hasn't demoted him, it tells me Bannon has some dirt on Trump and is using it as leverage.

If that's true, and Trump hasn't demoted him, it tells me Bannon has some dirt on Trump and is using it as leverage.

"You know the "don't be a dick" rule? It's pretty arbitrary and wide open for interpretation...but you're toeing it. Pump the brakes."

You ever tell this to TAB when he attacks me? Or Townie when he says stuff like this? "Fuck you trash person. Stay on the politics board where I don't have to see you." Or any of the other people that constantly post shit about me? It would appear some people are fair game and some are allowed to be dicks. But hey, you're the mod. You make the rules on who should be able to say what. No problem.

oh brother

Oh brother what? There's a clear double standard, though I don't expect any of you to admit it. People are allowed to be dicks to people like me, sailor, and especially bkf on a daily basis and nothing is done to them. Everyone on this board acts like a dickhead, including you and karma. "Don't be a dick" is a horseshit rule used to target people who are unpopular/controversial. In the last few days I've been called a racist, a piece of shit, told to "fuck off" in rep, etc. It's the norm on here and I usually just accept it and move on. But when I'm a dick, now it's a problem. Having said that, the mods decide what is allowed and if they think I'm a dick who needs to tone it down so be it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think many of you are gigantic hypocritical pussies, who talk mad shit but get severely butthurt when it's thrown back at you (cue the "You're the one who sounds butthurt" rebuttal).

Comrade Bob is the king of passive agressive trolling/whining.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comrade Bob is the king of passive agressive trolling/whining.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Chris, if I was half the dick to you that you've been to me you would have completely lost your mind. Anyway, I guess I should be somewhat grateful to karma and the mods for not banning me given the people who have been trying to make that happen. What you folks want is a circle jerk where you can bitch about how Trump and his supporters are nazis and have no one disagree with you. Seems like that would get old fast.

Back