• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake Forest vs. Villanova Game Thread - 1:30 ET ESPN2

His defensive ranks when he was here: 58, 23, 33. Our defensive rank right now (before this game, which will sink it by 20-30 spots): 105.

Kind of deceptive considering he had four NBA players. If you give anyone that much talent, he will have those numbers or better.

There is a lot you can say, but the bottom line is that Villanova is ridiculously athletic and talented--and very deep. One of their best players didn't even play today. They will abuse most teams. Yes our kids made a bunch of mistakes and were outmatched, but I liked the fact that they didn't quit.

This.

This team doesn't quit and they have extended leads in the other games.

I agree with those who say we need a small ball lineup and we don't have one. This is where we need Mitchell or Eggleston next year as a small ball 4. I wish McClinton could be trusted to fill that role.

Disagree on a lot of these points, RJ

Arians has proven to be a better defender than expected. Good hands, plays team defense well. He looks like Mike Gminski with the beard and the way he holds his shoulders. He is going to look 40 years old in 3 years. Very good player, lucky to have him.

Wilbekin is stepping up as an upperclassman. Tired of the hits he takes on here. He is valuable guy. May play less minutes down the road as Chill plays more but he is super valuable to any team with tourney aspirations. You need a 6th or 7th guy to be able to put up 13-15 every 4 or 5 games, and he is not getting embarrassed defensively.

Brandon was horrible in this game. Took it on the chin as he basically attmpted to try and out gun the All-American Josh Hart. Huge mistake. He took 3 or 4 just awful shots and we went from 13 down to 18 down in a heartbeat thanks to his selfish play. I don't think he's a selfish player, and I still think he's our 2nd best player, but man, I hope Manning and Chill make him watch this tape over and over. This was How to Get Schooled by an Upperclassman Future Pro 101. We get this game under 8 points at the 5 minute mark, maybe closer if Crawford doesn't go gonzo on us.

Collins is going to be so much better this year than Thomas was his junior year (his best year, I think).

I love mini-beard. I think he can possibly lead the country this year in points off the bench if he remains there. 15 pts per game I think. He gets junk buckets, knows when to attack weaknesses and lulls in intensity, and is a great 3 point shooter.

Agree on the poster's point about Doral. He will play more minutes and be valuable against bigger teams who are less spread out. I liked that he wasn't gassed in the 1st half when he came out. He looks like he can play 20 minutes per game when we need it.
You must be taking about Bryant- not Brandon.

I was totally impressed with Nova. I was also quite impressed with Wake. Best we've been in so long. They will learn from this game. 4 TOs is insane.
Loved the announcer questioning how we could have been ranked 13th in the ACC in the preseason

This.

I agree with those who say we need a small ball lineup and we don't have one. This is where we need Mitchell or Eggleston next year as a small ball 4. I wish McClinton could be trusted to fill that role.

Has to be the best I've ever felt watching a 20 point loss... Handed them 8 points straight out of the gate before our guys realized what it would take to play with them. Still put together some runs to make it somewhat interesting at multiple points in the game. Really executing the offense well - the high pick and roll is hugely improved this year, along with the options out of it. When Nova went zone we took advantage of our shooters and ran excellent overloads for open shots.

We did try to go small at one point - put Dinos at the 5 and ran a mix of Wilbekin/Childress/Woods/Crawford/Arians - and promptly got outrebounded like crazy. Also seemed like we have the rotations down on defense, who helps and where, how we hedge screens, when we switch - but the help recoveries were all a couple steps slow. Hopefully the anticipation will come as they play together more and talk more on defense.

Overall Nova exposed some rough edges and played a great game - some serious NBA talent on that team. Very impressed. Fun game to watch, if we can shore up the defense a bit nobody's going to like playing us.

I was totally impressed with Nova. I was also quite impressed with Wake. Best we've been in so long. They will learn from this game. 4 TOs is insane.
Loved the announcer questioning how we could have been ranked 13th in the ACC in the preseason

The only thing we could do was shoot. Horrid DFence, rebounding, or playing with passion. They scored at will and no one seemed to be playing Defense.

The only thing we could do was shoot. Horrid DFence, rebounding, or playing with passion. They scored at will and no one seemed to be playing Defense.

Had a 4:1 assist to turnover ratio. Do agree that we were poor defensively and on the glass.

Has to be the best I've ever felt watching a 20 point loss... Handed them 8 points straight out of the gate before our guys realized what it would take to play with them. Still put together some runs to make it somewhat interesting at multiple points in the game. Really executing the offense well - the high pick and roll is hugely improved this year, along with the options out of it. When Nova went zone we took advantage of our shooters and ran excellent overloads for open shots.

We did try to go small at one point - put Dinos at the 5 and ran a mix of Wilbekin/Childress/Woods/Crawford/Arians - and promptly got outrebounded like crazy. Also seemed like we have the rotations down on defense, who helps and where, how we hedge screens, when we switch - but the help recoveries were all a couple steps slow. Hopefully the anticipation will come as they play together more and talk more on defense.

Overall Nova exposed some rough edges and played a great game - some serious NBA talent on that team. Very impressed. Fun game to watch, if we can shore up the defense a bit nobody's going to like playing us.

Yeah. That small ball lineup was just ineffective. I think our only good small lineup could be a four guard lineup with Collins and we would obviously need to be selective about using it.

This.

But he can....Have you not talked to Jaybone?

I think too often fans discredit what the other team does and just focus on their own team. Do we have defensive and rebounding issues? Yes, and that was exploited big time today, but Nova is an outstanding team.

If we were playing UNC or Duke on a neutral floor and lost like this then I doubt we would hear a lot of these comments.

Just because we got beat by a superior team doesn't mean we didn't "play with passion" or whatever the hell some of you guys are calling it.

Watching the deacs up close over the past two games shows that we can shoot but defense is sorely lacking. Villanova is really good! I think we can out score enough teams to have a winning record.

Between the football team's offense and the basketball team's defense, I want to sit in a pile of ashes and scrape myself with broken pottery shards. I know it was Villanova, but I'm still pissed we lost.

I think too often fans discredit what the other team does and just focus on their own team. Do we have defensive and rebounding issues? Yes, and that was exploited big time today, but Nova is an outstanding team.

If we were playing UNC or Duke on a neutral floor and lost like this then I doubt we would hear a lot of these comments.

Just because we got beat by a superior team doesn't mean we didn't "play with passion" or whatever the hell some of you guys are calling it.

I dare say most people here get that Nova was really on today, and there was almost no chance we could beat them. They probably have a little more talent than us and a little more experience than us. They also played consistently harder and smarter than we did. The first two things are what they are and aren't going to change right away; however, the intensity/consistency thing is certainly fixable. Yeah, maybe some of that comes with experience, but hopefully today's game helps our guys get it that you have to come with 100% intensity for 40 minutes if you want to be relevant. Especially on the defensive end.

We have no one to guard 6.5 and 6.7 studs like Hart and Bridges. Not very many teams will create such mismatches for us going forward.

damn its a lot more fun to finally have some of those guys that have been draining 3s on us for the last 7 years. Too bad Villanova had a bunch of them too

Sunday will be a good test to see how this group bounces back. At the moment it looks like we'll be playing a true road game & most likely underdogs per Vegas. It is a game that needs to be a win for the team to bring home some momentum & can reflect on this tourney as a positive.

We have no one to guard 6.5 and 6.7 studs like Hart and Bridges. Not very many teams will create such mismatches for us going forward.

Not having full sized wings being a problem is a point I've been posting for a few years. Arians is 6'6 but isn't athletic. I thought Keyshawn was a bit taller. He uses his body well, especially on the defensive board, but he isn't very athletic and seems to be 6'3.

Getting Chaundee and Melo should help a lot next year.

Back