• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake / Tulane Game Thread

The amount of effort biff puts into his shitty parody I think outweighs the effort moonz puts into tracking his 50 parodies.

Clawson and physics . The run game.

An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

We ran one play off tackle and one counter, both on the last two drives. They went for 6 and 9 yards, respectively. The delayed handoffs were really unsuccessful all night. I've yet to hear Clawson's reasoning for sticking with them. We have some talented backs this year. It'd be a shame to waste them behind really bad scheming and playcalling. I get not wanting a super dynamic offense, pulling linemen or double teaming or anything remotely challenging given the deficit in talent we have on the line, but something's gotta give.

It feels like our offense of the last couple of years +1 game has been about a coaching staff being comfortable with sticking a square peg in a round hole. It sounds like the most important thing is installing our offensive philosophy even if we do not have the perfect personnel for it because the program will be that much better when the talent is added to the roster.

At what point does the fanbase (and players) get fed up with a lack of results with this as the excuse? Even Herm Edwards knows "you play to win the game". Certainly there is a scheme out there that makes better use of the players we have rather than the players we hope to have in a couple of years. Certainly, our full offensive philosophy does not present such a "decided, schematic advantage" (ht Charlie Weis) as to take 3-4 years to fully implement. In other words, Clawson, Ruggiero, et al need to figure out how to put points on the board this year. 2018-and-beyond be damned. We have the talent we have this year and the players that are on the roster this year deserve to be put in a position to have the most possible success this year.

Willie Fritz would have traded rosters with us in a second and, as bad as Tulane looked, I'd bet he would have had more points on the scoreboard. So, what is the gap? What is the difference that needs to be bridged to have us squeeze as much performance out of our roster as is possible this season? I don't want to hear panic in our coaching staff's voices after a game like that, but I sure do want to hear accountability and an expression of how unacceptable it is to see a performance like that and assurance that the Duke game will be better.

Yeah it didn't even feel like we were playing that poorly from an execution standpoint really, it just seemed that even if we executed the play calls as well as we could the result was still just going to be average. I mean what percentage of our plays last night were runs up the middle?

Look at the stats from last night. Hinton was the leading rusher with 24 yards. We had 175 yards of total offense. There is no way this team is going to a bowl. I don't see any way they win 5 games.

Uhh, Wake is one of the worst FBS teams. There is no reason to think they should be able to beat another one easily.

Are you guys FBS? Can't remember, but wherever we are on the scale, it is somewhat confirming to know there is another team well below us.

Are you guys FBS? Can't remember, but wherever we are on the scale, it is somewhat confirming to know there is another team well below us.

They're 125 out of 128, but after last night they'll probably drop. They've got a marquee match-up with Eastern Michigan coming up that is actually ranked below them, so that could be a battle to see who is the worst FBS team, get your popcorn ready.

Yeah it didn't even feel like we were playing that poorly from an execution standpoint really, it just seemed that even if we executed the play calls as well as we could the result was still just going to be average. I mean what percentage of our plays last night were runs up the middle?

Umm, the several long passes that hit the receivers in the hands were a problem with execution.

Just looked at the on line edition of the W-S Journal-- our game is the third game on the page. App State gets the top two stories-- as they should, but even Disco Dan has had it with this team. This staff needs to get its shit together and do whatever it takes to score points. Get your ego and "system" out of the way. You have some talented runners. Put your line men in a three point stance, pit your QB under center and hand the ball off to the back running TOWARD the line with a full head of steam. Use misdirection with Hinton and tell him to hand the ball off some time. Fire Tabacca and put the OC on a short leash.

Umm, the several long passes that hit the receivers in the hands were a problem with execution.

Most of those weren't good balls but that's an execution problem as well.

Hinton definitely handed off a few times because I liked his fake move after handing off.

Most of those weren't good balls but that's an execution problem as well.

Yeah, we had at least a few occasions where the defender was beat, but the throw gave the DB a chance to adjust or catch-up.

Tulane is an option team and they threw for more yards than us.

Just looked at the on line edition of the W-S Journal-- our game is the third game on the page. App State gets the top two stories-- as they should, but even Disco Dan has had it with this team. This staff needs to get its shit together and do whatever it takes to score points. Get your ego and "system" out of the way. You have some talented runners. Put your line men in a three point stance, pit your QB under center and hand the ball off to the back running TOWARD the line with a full head of steam. Use misdirection with Hinton and tell him to hand the ball off some time. Fire Tabacca and put the OC on a short leash.

Yeah I don't understand why there apparently isn't even a straight ahead run from under center, with a fullback blocking, in the playbook. On that third and one to try to ice the game, everyone watching that shitfest knew we were going to run up the middle. If everyone knows you're going to run up the middle anyway, why not do it from under center with a lead blocker to at least have some chance at success instead of running it from the fucking shotgun? How hard is it to practice a straight-ahead run a few times a year so it can be called when needed? It's not like the players don't already know how to do it from Pop Warner age on up.

bless your hearts....

Hinton looks surprised

"What is this big rectangle I'm running into? Normally I run three plays then head back to the bench!"

Yeah I don't understand why there apparently isn't even a straight ahead run from under center, with a fullback blocking, in the playbook. On that third and one to try to ice the game, everyone watching that shitfest knew we were going to run up the middle. If everyone knows you're going to run up the middle anyway, why not do it from under center with a lead blocker to at least have some chance at success instead of running it from the fucking shotgun? How hard is it to practice a straight-ahead run a few times a year so it can be called when needed? It's not like the players don't already know how to do it from Pop Warner age on up.

It's funny to me how you hear coaches and analysts talking about QB's taking snaps from under center like it's really something hard. They act like it's so difficult for a spread shotgun QB to learn how to take a damn snap with his hands on the center's ass. I agree, be varied, have plays under center out of the I formation, have plays from shotgun, pistol formation, etc., give the defense a lot to think about. It seems a lot of the thought in high school and college offenses now is it has to be the shotgun spread 100 percent of the time.

It's funny to me how you hear coaches and analysts talking about QB's taking snaps from under center like it's really something hard. They act like it's so difficult for a spread shotgun QB to learn how to take a damn snap with his hands on the center's ass. I agree, be varied, have plays under center out of the I formation, have plays from shotgun, pistol formation, etc., give the defense a lot to think about. It seems a lot of the thought in high school and college offenses now is it has to be the shotgun spread 100 percent of the time.

Yeah, there is no reason we should have to try to misdirect fucking Tulane to get a first down on 3rd and 1. Just line up and run it right at them; it isn't rocket science, it is the most basic play in football. Stop coaching like a pussy.

Back