• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake v. FSU game thread.

That officiating crew was terrible. There was a moment during the confusion of the incomplete/fumble situation in the second half when the ump after signaling incomplete stood in the middle of the field with his hands out like "I have no idea what is going on". Summed up their day well.

Probably missed it in the thread, but wtf was up with #17 and #8 switching numbers?

The ref signaled the ball was tipped, the back judge signaled incomplete pass, the field judge also signaled incomplete pass... Then they spent ten minutes discussing. But yes, they fucking terrible.

Had to change jerseys. Kid was playing both ways. Defense already had a 17 playing

Given the complete shit-show Clawson inherited, I simply wanted to see progress season-to-season, game-to-game. This team is clearly progressing. Today, for the first time in YEARS, I left encouraged and looking forward to watching us play football again.

Hinton clearly kept FSU more off-balance today given his running capabilities. Froze their linebackers on more than one occasion to give some time for plays to develop. That's a great weapon with a fragile OL.

Also, Clawson chewed on the ref's ass almost the entire game. Just so refreshing to see a coach this engaged and enthusiastic to win a football game.

What was the encroachment call? I don't think I've ever seen that called.

The ref who threw the flag thought that the WR lined up over the line of scrimmage and the snap was imminent. The snap was not necessarily imminent and he looked to be correcting himself after lining up wrong initially. I've never seen it called that quickly before.

But I also rarely see a ref not call an obvious facemask penalty where the QB almost gets his head torn off. Or the awful targeting/personal foul debacle beforehand.

Last edited:
That missed face mask was so so bad.

I didn't miss our weekly scolding from bkf about officiating did I?

It was a bullshit, cheap call. Our WR was lining up, before the snap, and was a few feet beyond the line of scrimmage. He was in the process of looking to the sideline to line himself up but before he could step back, the official dropped the flag.

Officials, 99.999999% of the time give WRs the latitude to check themselves with the side marker and never make that call. Never! Today's crew was just beyond awful.

The ref signaled the ball was tipped, the back judge signaled incomplete pass, the field judge also signaled incomplete pass... Then they spent ten minutes discussing. But yes, they fucking terrible.

Had to change jerseys. Kid was playing both ways. Defense already had a 17 playing

Coaching improvement there. Grobe fucked that up once every season in the later years.

wide out lined up in neutral zone. reffs almost always give a kid a chance to adjust back to or behind the line by looking over and asking but for some reason this guy called it before the players had even made any adjustments.

Back from the game. Like others real proud of the fight and effort our guys gave. Probably most proud of the fact that after getting whipped last week physically, I felt that we really held our own and stood toe to toe in the trenches with FSU for the most part. I love Wolford, kid deserves a medal for making through last year and kept getting up, but Hinton should be the guy going forward. Our running game is much better with his running threat and he's getting better and better as a passer. Hinton is really the type of QB that you need to run the spread at its most effective. Sucked that we gave up the 94 yard TD run, but you've got to tackle great running backs and we didn't. Clawson has got these guys going in the right direction and the future is looking brighter.

By the way, what do we have to do to get a freaking turnover?:rulz:

Lol at criticizing the field goal when a throw one foot lower to Cam at the end would have been a touchdown.

Love that this team won't quit. FSU needed a handful of stupidly lucky plays - the tipped ball their tight end caught that should have been an INT, the pick they threw where our guys almost collided and neither caught it, the missed facemask, the fumble call... Even the 95 yard run had our own guy bumping their RB away from the last tackler or it doesn't go.

The improvement week to week in this team is really impressive. That doesn't happen without coaches and players busting their asses to prepare. They deserve a lot of credit, not bullshit hindsight.

Dare I say Cook would've been less likely to pull his hamstring had he not had the 94 yard run?

Lol at criticizing the field goal when a throw one foot lower to Cam at the end would have been a touchdown.

Love that this team won't quit. FSU needed a handful of stupidly lucky plays - the tipped ball their tight end caught that should have been an INT, the pick they threw where our guys almost collided and neither caught it, the missed facemask, the fumble call... Even the 95 yard run had our own guy bumping their RB away from the last tackler or it doesn't go.

The improvement week to week in this team is really impressive. That doesn't happen without coaches and players busting their asses to prepare. They deserve a lot of credit, not bullshit hindsight.

this^

We will be a good team next year and a great team the years after that if clawson continues to recruit well like he has.

lighten up Francis

This. I don't know why this is even being debated.

It's certainly debatable. You are at the 5 4th and 1. Its hard to drive the field against FSU. If you convert, you have 3 chances from the 4. Plus scoring A TD there allows you to go for 2 and you know whether you need a FG or TD your next possession.

I would have gone for it, but I can understand kicking there. Probably the "by the book" call, although not the correct one, IMO.

Back