• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake v. FSU game thread.

"Conventional wisdom" is to play for a tie at home and an outright win in regulation on the road. Not sure that applies in this particular circumstance, but that is what Clawson did by electing to kick the field goal instead of going for the fourth down conversion.

i am saying that relying on conventional wisdom of football coaches is stupid because the vast majority of football coaches are stupid. I don't think clawson is stupid, so that's why the decision was disappointing.

no need to wait to figure it out. FckVwls has already achieved that for everyone, That is the only way you can really dispute my post (if I used bad inputs).

Correct. Nearly every coach is going to take the extend-the-game option there as opposed to it potentially ending if you don't convert

Just because a lot of people do it doesn't make it the right call. "The book" regularly has teams across sports doing suboptimal actions

I think the addition of the running back put into motion helped our run game out a lot. It made it where fsu couldn't load up the box

Yep, considering our terrible turnover margin, we have played quite competitively so far.

I think that's a byproduct of having a very well-coached, but not super talented defense. We don't have ballhawking corners and we don't have many defenders that can just flat put a hit on a player.

Claws has made improving the offense his number 1 priority and that is starting to show. The defense is well-coached and disciplined, but it lacks playmakers, particularly on the back-end.

I think that's a byproduct of having a very well-coached, but not super talented defense. We don't have ballhawking corners and we don't have many defenders that can just flat put a hit on a player.

Claws has made improving the offense his number 1 priority and that is starting to show. The defense is well-coached and disciplined, but it lacks playmakers, particularly on the back-end.

Yeah, it makes a difference not having KJ and Bud at the corners.

How has our back end recruiting been? Are we going after any corners this year? We got any players red shirting or will we be looking at post grads for next year?

It's going to be very difficult for WF to win today with all the bad calls they are going to get.

Very prophetic, unfortunately. It was not just the calls they made, but also the calls they refused to make.

What did you think about the officials bkf?

The irony in a supporter of Bob Knight reprimanding people for talking shit about officials is beyond belief.

The problem is that fans see the game thru prejudiced eyes.

But that is the only time. Once in 57 years. Can you guess what that one call was?

Scoreboard game, obviously.

You've got about five topics which you invoke ad infinitum.

I haven't seen anyone say the officials are why we lost. However the missed facemask and encroachment calls really hurt us badly. I don't remember any questionable calls going in our favor yesterday.

I've addressed that statement, too. Bob Knight tried to intimidate officials, to be sure.....but he actually criticized them far less than is commonly thought. As I said, his number of technical fouls at Indiana was always among the lowest of any coach in the Big Ten.

The problem with Bob Knight and nearly all casual fans is that their image of Knight is completely distorted as a result of media hyperbole in order to get a more marketable story. When you have a guy who accomplished all that Knight accomplished...both on the court and academically with his players, while playing strictly by the rules...and all the average fan knows about him is that "he is that guy who threw a chair" (which would be the first response you get from about 98% of fans on the street when his name was mentioned)....that's why I don't even bother to defend all the silly charges against him from people who don't really know the first friggin' thing about him.

Media hyperbole.

I haven't seen anyone say the officials are why we lost. However the missed facemask and encroachment calls really hurt us badly. I don't remember any questionable calls going in our favor yesterday.
Florida State was called for over 100 yards in penalties yesterday. The facemask no call definitely hurt but it wasn't like they weren't calling penalties on FSU either
Which ones do you remember?

Which ones do you remember?

The personal foul on their DL on our last drive before the interception was a questionable call.

One of the holds on them on the drive they settled for a FG looked iffy too.

Oh yeah, I agree with that. Pretty weak personal foul.

Florida State was called for over 100 yards in penalties yesterday. The facemask no call definitely hurt but it wasn't like they weren't calling penalties on FSU either
I think one of the referees got hurt as well.

Back