• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Week 4 NFL Thread: Refs are DUMB and other obvious observations

I think its the 26-63 college head coaching record that hits a little closer to home in this particular case.

Combined with the fact that he has only had 4 winning seasons out of 12 seasons as a head coach at any level, and 2 of those were with Peyton Manning as his QB.

Last edited:
I think its the 26-63 college head coaching record that hits a little closer to home in this particular case.

Combined with the fact that he has only had 4 winning seasons out of 12 seasons as a head coach at any level, and 2 of those were with Peyton Manning as his QB.

Eh, college coaching and pro coaching are different. Bill Belicheck has 2 winning seasons in 7 without Tom Brady as his QB.

Seriously Sig?

The only recent season Belichick didn't have Brady he went 11-5 and was very unlucky to miss the playoffs. Caldwell went 2-14 sans-Manning, and after an initial "hey we like this guy he's not a complete asshole" season with the Lions, it looks like he's headed for not-much-better results this year

Caldwell went 11-5 and did make the playoffs last year. How is that not better than what Belichick did without Brady?

Eh, college coaching and pro coaching are different. Bill Belicheck has 2 winning seasons in 7 without Tom Brady as his QB.

Belichick also:
(a) was the architect of one of the greatest defenses in modern NFL history, for many years and to the tune of 2 Super Bowl rings; and
(b) was actually turning around the Cleveland fucking Browns as HC before Modell cut the legs and moved the team.

That calls for a slightly longer leash than Jim Caldwell who, by any reasonable standard, has never had any relative head coaching success other than stepping in it with Dungy/Manning (and yes, you can make the Parcells/LT comparisons for Belichick, but I would argue that Belichick's role in that situation was substantially more important and influential than Caldwell's).

Seriously Sig?

The only recent season Belichick didn't have Brady he went 11-5 and was very unlucky to miss the playoffs. Caldwell went 2-14 sans-Manning, and after an initial "hey we like this guy he's not a complete asshole" season with the Lions, it looks like he's headed for not-much-better results this year
2007 Patriots: 16-0
2008 Patriots (without Brady): 11-5

2010 Colts: 10-6
2011 Colts (without Manning): 2-14

Not a very good comparison. The 2008 Patriots roster was still stacked (although the secondary was not as good as in '07). And Cassel vs. Dan Orlovsky and Curtis Painter. Ugh...

Last edited:
2015 Lions (with Matt Stafford, without a healthy Calvin Johnson most of the year): 11-5

Now I think Caldwell is more likely to go 5-11 than 11-5, but give him some credit for last season.

I can't think of a possible reason why Sig would like Caldwell. Can you guys?

2007 Patriots: 16-0
2008 Patriots (without Brady): 11-5

2010 Colts: 10-6
2011 Colts (without Manning): 2-14

Not a very good comparison. The 2008 Patriots roster was still stacked (although the secondary was not as good as in '07). And Cassel vs. Dan Orlovsky and Curtis Painter. Ugh...

Did the Pats have a better roster than the Colts? Undoubtedly. Was it nine wins better? Hell no.

Also, let's not forget the 2009 Colts were in the Super Bowl. Caldwell took a team from could've been 16-0 if they tried to 2-14 in two years. I don't care who your QB is, that's impressive

Geez. You can tell how ridiculous these #hottakes are because I'm being forced to defend Caldwell. It was pretty clear that the 2011 Colts were in full "Suck for Luck" mode. They didn't try to acquire another QB when it was clear Peyton was out for the season. They went the same route the Spurs did in 1996-97 after losing David Robinson.

Geez. You can tell how ridiculous these #hottakes are because I'm being forced to defend Caldwell. It was pretty clear that the 2011 Colts were in full "Suck for Luck" mode. They didn't try to acquire another QB when it was clear Peyton was out for the season. They went the same route the Spurs did in 1996-97 after losing David Robinson.

Damn you stole the point I was going to make. No team trying to win games would have kept trotting out Curtis Painter all season. They were definitely in full on tank mode.

Did the Pats have a better roster than the Colts? Undoubtedly. Was it nine wins better? Hell no.

Also, let's not forget the 2009 Colts were in the Super Bowl. Caldwell took a team from could've been 16-0 if they tried to 2-14 in two years. I don't care who your QB is, that's impressive
I don't really know what this even means. Has a Nonsense Ninja vibe to it.

How many games were you expecting a team QBed by Curtis Painter for 8 games, Dan Orlovsky for 5 games, and a 39-year Kerry Collins for 3 games to win? 3? 4? So they won 2! And they were clearly in "Suck for Luck" mode. wsc, as usual, overrating coaching and underrating player personnel.

I think Caldwell is an average NFL coach. No more, no less. The fact that he didn't win a ton of games at Wake doesn't really impact his ability as a pro coach.

If you were wondering how Victor Cruz was spending his rehab...

Victor_Cruz_Wife.jpg

Damn you stole the point I was going to make. No team trying to win games would have kept trotting out Curtis Painter all season. They were definitely in full on tank mode.

Which makes it all the more puzzling why you fire the coach. It's not his fault Manning's not there. The front office didn't get him anyone worth a shit to be the most important player on the field, so guess what, YOU'RE FIRED! Same thing happened to John Fox at Carolina.

Which makes it all the more puzzling why you fire the coach. It's not his fault Manning's not there. The front office didn't get him anyone worth a shit to be the most important player on the field, so guess what, YOU'RE FIRED! Same thing happened to John Fox at Carolina.

To bring in a coach the front office believes is a better coach. Same thing Pop did when he fired Bob Hill and named himself head coach after Robinson went down.

Yeah, but Caldwell was a pretty good coach when he had Manning and was going 14-2.

I don't really know what this even means. Has a Nonsense Ninja vibe to it.

The 14-0 Colts were beating the Jets in the second half in Week 16, then Caldwell pulled their starters, put in your boi Painter and they got beat. I'm not necessarily using that as a stick to beat him with, there's plenty of other things to use.

Let's see how the rest of his Lions tenure plays out. This is hardly a roster devoid of talent, if that is as important as you say

It doesn't have much talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Ansah is a potential stud and they have an old Ngata, but DeAndre Levy isn't playing right now and their other starting DT was lost for the season against Seattle. They have Larry Wadford on the OL, and not a ton of other talent in the front 5.

Back